Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

How much stuff have you got?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
This is mainly aimed at those who are just about to go off to uni, like me.

How much stuff have your parents got you because they think you're going to need it?

I've got:
* a small box of kitchen stuff
* a file box
* at least 3 bags of stationary
* the promise that I'm going to be given food
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    When I was getting ready to go off to uni for the first time I got a microwave :D

My parents won it in a raffle and gave it to me, cos they thought I might need one.

They were right! It's so handy.
  • Options
    Not that much to be honest, although my mum does keep fretting over whether i have enough things or not. She took me and my brother to Staples just before he went back to school, but there wasnt that much new stuff I needed. And I took myself off to Ikea for a few things.

Ah well, i shall just get there and buy as I go along. Much easier, no forethought required!
  • Options
    god some how ive ended up with loads...iron, pots pans, baking trays, dishes, bowls, kitchen utensils, cutlery, plates, bowls etc.

i know im going to end up taking way too much stuff especially in the way of clothes etc! hey i guess thatll mean i can put off the launderette for a bit longer!!!!!!
  • Options
    My parents have bought me a casserole dish and a wooden spatula.

It took me several days to persuade them to buy me something to cook with.

And I don't even like casseroles...

Have gone out and bought a whole load of kitchen stuff to add to my parents kind contribution, as well as buying new bed sheets and all the rest of it. Am hoping to befriend someone in my flat who will take pity on me and let me share stuff with them... :s
  • Options
    I baught a big wok (good for frying, deepfat frying and boiling)
    Oil
    Three types of pasta

I'm going to Ikea on my way while passing through the trafford centre to buy some clothes.
  • Options
    My parents have provided me with things such as microwave cookware (which was on the list in the hall handbook), cutlery, some crockery and glasses. Oh and a tea towel!!

I've also been to Ikea and got some random bits and pieces.
  • Options
    Microwave cookware???? you mean a plate ??
  • Options
    Originally posted by Adiss
    Microwave cookware???? you mean a plate ??

No. It's special plates and tubs that you can use in the microwave without them getting too hot to hold.
  • Options
    Originally posted by squat_tom
    No. It's special plates and tubs that you can use in the microwave without them getting too hot to hold.

In my day we used a tea towel! *mumble* mircowave cookware ... madness *mutter mutter*:rolleyes:
  • Options
  • Options
    I'm takin my lava lamp cos' that will make me kool, and then people might forgive me for bein a drunk person trying to sing The Darkness at 3 AM. All hail The Darkness, they play Cardifffff Uni on Oct 3rd!

Bopz
  • Options
    Originally posted by bad seed
    You'd have to be insane to deep fat fry in anything other than a deep fat fryer. :eek:
    It's usually banned in university accomodation, as well.

Insane?? What do you think a chip pan is?

Uni accomodatio doesnt allow you to keep chip pans as they are a firehazard. But you can leave the oil out to cool and rebottle it

**KEN HOM**
    6. Rinse out the wok and reheat it over a high heat, then add the oil for deep-frying. When the oil is hot and slightly smoking, gently drop in as many spring rolls as will fit easily in one layer.http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/database/springrolls_4285.shtml
  • Options
  • Options
    I never said I was going to do chips ... so you have no worries
  • Options
  • Options
    So far I have one box full of stationary, folders etc. and bits of cutlery, tea towel, bowls, plates, sponges and a few a toiletries - so that'll probably span into two boxes as I need some pans and a toaster....and a toastie maker. :hyper:

Then I should imagine I'll have a box of toiletries.

Then a box of clothes and homely bits.

Then about 3 boxes of food - so I don't have to shop for at least a month. lol.

Then my tv.

Hmm we only have a tiny polo!

We should compile a list so no-one forgets anything!
  • Options
    Right. I have loads because my mum went crazy at Ikea and decided i needed most of the kitchen section (she's mad, she wanted me to have a spoon with holes in but wouldn't let me have a set of shot glasses. Now which do we think would be more useful? :rolleyes: )

Apart from loads of cooking stuff, i got a box of basic food, like pasta and pesto and squash, and things like that... some coathangers, as we don't have enough at home for me to steal :) two sets of bedlinen in the habitat sale (£12.50 per set! SO good!), ummm.... i dunno. Things like that. We've been picking stuff up for a while, my dad and his g/f moved in together recently so i got the spare kettle and toaster from them, and i found a beautiful towel with ladybirds on it, so i bought that.

Having said that though, i know i'm gonna forget something really important - we managed not to buy me any plates while we were in Ikea. Oh well.
  • Options
    Ooooh people,

pack a few extension socket things. You know them bars with 3 or 4 sockets on them?

Cos there's never enough sockets in the room. Especially if you're taking a computer.
  • Options
    Ooh, yeah, got some of them too... :)
  • Options
    ok, so im just packing and i have sooo much stuff, im really worried ive got too much...i dont want people to be looking at me strangely as i move in! is there such thing as too much or do u think its ok?
    aaaaaaaaaah
  • Options
    Bittersweet everyone takes loads to uni don't worry about it. When you think about it you need all the stuff you have at home plus a few extras.

I got a few new jumpers bought for me and a load of food, and a few other bits and pieces, but I had most stuff from last time at uni anyways. I seem to have far more in the cookery ways than the rest of my flat mates, but then I'm the only one who can cook as well so maybe that explains that. :-d