Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

eating problems in men.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
any of you have any experience with this?

i have a friend who is very thin, and i worry about the amount he eats. when i try to talk to him about it he doesn't take me seriously.

he's been like this since i've known him, and i didn't used to worry, cause he didn't actually do much. but since then he's become a lot more active, but still he eats the same (small) amount. and he doesn't eat healthy foods either.

i used to have an eating disorder, and am super observant about what people eat and when, and i don't know if i'm overreacting because of that. i also have a suspicion that he's just trying to upset me, and he knows that not eating will do it.

anyone?

Comments

• Options
    Would it not work the same with men as women?
    A reason people dont eat is a way of being in control. Thats what i found anyway, I decided when to eat and when not to eat and nobody could dictate to me.
    When he is out of the routine of not eating its hard to get back to eating again. Have you any photos you could casually show him and hope he notices how thin he is. I wouldn't say nag him about his weight because that really wouldnt solve anything, he may just keep out of your way (thats what i did).
    Sorry not much help.
  • Options
    It is possible for men to get eating disorders - it's just that it a) happens a lot less and b) there isn't very much awareness/research one the subject. We do have a couple of features that will help you:
    men and body image

Expert opinion on male eating disorders

Also, you can always get more info from the following organisations:
    The Eating Disorders Association (http://www.edauk.com)
    Sackville Place, 44 Magdalen Street, Norwich, Norfolk, NR3 1JU.
    Helpline: 01603 621414
    Youth Helpline: 01603 765050

The National Centre For Eating Disorders (http://www.eating-disorders.org.uk/)
    54 New Road, Esher, Surrey KT10 9NU.
    Tel: 01372 469493
  • Options
    i know adam rickett (nick tilsey from corrie) had bulimia

thats the only one ive ever heard of, i dont think men are very willing to discuss it
  • Options
    I never really had an eating disorder, but when I was down I would sometimes vomit back up things that I had eaten. Its the same logic that it is in women, I think, so if you suspect then you are probably right to.

Maybe he is attention-seeking, maybe he isnt- does he make it obvious that hes not eating, or is it just that you are observant?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    does he make it obvious that hes not eating, or is it just that you are observant?

well, he's super fussy, and always has been, so people just let him serve himself or whatever. so i think it's just me that notices.

the thing is, i don't think he has any body image problems, he knows he's thin and talks about putting on weight, and some days he'll sit and quite happily devour an entire pizza.

it's just some days he won't eat anything, and for someone of his weight, and for the amount of activity he does, it seems really unhealthy. and i don't want him to run into health problems like i did.