Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

you might need an injection before going to university

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study

Comments

• Options
  • Options
    I wouldn't get it. My parents are like.. against it. My sisters have never been vaccinated.

Edited to add that i mean they've never had the MMR, not that they've never had *any* injections.
  • Options
    I think I had this, or I had the injection. Dunno.
  • Options
    I had MMR :yes:

and had to get meningitus before uni too (vaccination not the illness)
  • Options
    Will I need another meningitus vaccination?

Because I think I had one a few years ago and my mum says I will be ok as there's only one vaccination available. However being a hypochondriac, I need to feel safe.

Can't remember if I had the mmr *goes to check* yes I have and I had measles a few weeks before the mmr vaccination. Hehe awkward little me.
  • Options
    East London has a high immigrant population so that means i oughta have, Hepatitis A,B,C, Mumps, Rubella, Rabi......
  • Options
    Originally posted by strawberrychild
    East London has a high immigrant population so that means i oughta have, Hepatitis A,B,C, Mumps, Rubella, Rabi......

it makes no difference where you go because anyone can be a carrier for anything and when you go to University they'll be people from all over the country coming there - even from all over the world.
  • Options
    Originally posted by DiamondGeezer
    it makes no difference where you go because anyone can be a carrier for anything and when you go to University they'll be people from all over the country coming there - even from all over the world.

well asylum seekers are coming from countries with no real innoculation procedures, therefore it is very likely that they could have it, more likey than any other groups shes likely to come into contact with
    not only that they could be carrying things like lice, scabies etc
  • Options
    Originally posted by ElysiumUnknown
    Will I need another meningitus vaccination?

Because I think I had one a few years ago and my mum says I will be ok as there's only one vaccination available. However being a hypochondriac, I need to feel safe.

Hi, does anyone know the answer to this? My mate insists that we have to have another injection but i only had it three years ago but she said its not effective anymore.:confused:
  • Options
    My parents are doctors so I have had all my injections :rolleyes:

The meningitis jab we had when we were 15/16 (whenever!) was for Meningitis C which is most common in young people up to the age of 25.

If you had the injection when you were at secondary school, then you don't need to have it again until later on in life. Even so, most people do not get re-vaccinated because the chance of catching that particular strain of meningitus is so slim over a certain age.

You could always ring up that NHS Direct number and talk to a nurse about it. Or wait till you get to uni and ask the doctor/nurse there.
  • Options
    I have to say that I thought the picture was taken of a Rancid gig!!