Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Cardiff uni

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Hey all! Just wondering if anyone else is going to cardiff uni in a couple of weeks?

Also, for those who are already at cardiff uni, I've been put in a Cartwright Court flat, which wasnt my first choice but seems ok. Does anyone know what its really like?

One more thing...why oh why aren't we allowed to take our own mini-fridges to have in our rooms?!
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    I started at Cardiff Uni last year, studying Civil Engineering. I've now switched to Economics, so I get to be a Fresher all over again!

What are you going to be studying?

I'm afraid that I have no idea what Cartwright Court is like - I was in University Hall last year.

From my experience, you can get around the mini-fridge ban. My next door neighbour at Uni Hall had one in his room, and never had any problem with it.
  • Options
    I'm gonna b doing italian and psychology combined honours, should b good!
  • Options
    That's quite a combination! I wish I could speak Italian as well as I used to...
  • Options
    hmmm, thats the problem...I don't speak any Italian:eek2:! I'm on the beginners course tho, so it should b ok. And I get to go to Italy in my third year, so its all good! Btw - any good clubs/bars in cardiff u would recommend?
  • Options
    There are loads of clubs and bars in Cardiff. It's hard to recommend anything it particular - it all depends on what your tastes are. Try going here for a good guide to Cardiff: http://www.itchycardiff.co.uk/
  • Options
    Think cartwright court is down off a road called Mackintosh Place (although I could be way off here...). If its there its not too far from uni hall/the union. Good places to go to drink are the scream pubs (the george and the woodville), the end (its in cathays near the union), the gatekeeper/prince of wales are the local wetherspoons in town, they're cheap but VERY busy usually (has a bad thought back to his 18th being bought absynthe there) and lack character. For somewhere else to go for pre club drinks I normally go to the toad or this bar down by the friary (can't remember its name...). Club wise theres a good selection, Bar Risa is OK most nights (very busy on student nights though), Jumpin Jaks is alright too (although the bar staff/bouncers are fascists), Liquid is often shite from what ive heard, creation is good (although the r'n'b played is very 'black' and not really my sort of style). Avoid metros (alt club) unless you like hanging round with pissed 15 yearolds- go to clwb ifor bach instead).

Theres literally loads of places to go at night in cardiff and you ought to enjoy it here, i've lived here all my life (going off to warwick uni in 3 weeks now though) and reckon its OK- I live at the top of the hill near uni hall (really annoying having to walk up and down that hill to get to pretty much anywhere- suppose it would be a good reason not to choose uni hall....). Good luck in Cardiff.
  • Options
    Thanx for all ur help guys! Can't wait to go now!!! xx
  • Options
    BRING IT ON SUNNY JIIIIMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!

Cardifffff Uni wont know what hit it when I arrive on Friday (19th). I'm doing a Maths cource, and I will provew yo you all that its possible to study maths whilst bein a drunk stoned PARTY ANIMAL!! Lalalalalalala hmmmmm not sure if this is kind of on topic, but I do have a question? Will I be sterotyped cos i'm studing such a (boffin) degree, hope not cos that would be bad and I wouldn't give you any of my beer!!!!!!!!!!!

Bopz :D