Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Stress . . .

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ok, so I'm a wee bit stressed atm. That isn't good, cos when I say a wee bit, I mean MAJORLY. And when I get stressed I get headaches, really nasty painful ones. My vitamins aren't helping anymore. I had a HUGE argument with my (now forever ex) best freind yesterday, where I basically told him I didn't like him no more and to fuck off and leave me alone (ha!). That was good. But then he started telling my Woo that I didn't want to be friends with her no more, and she got all worried. So that got me stressed. So what with the added pressure of school (my mum is making me get really good marks, cos she thinks I'm some kind of wonder-child cos of a few good SATS results in year 9), having to choose a THIRD work experience (I wasn't enthusiastic enough at the interview apparently, lol), and other things, I'm getting so stressed. I don't want to tell my mum cos she will worry. But I need to figure it out. The headaches are getting to be worse than they were a year ago (when they were REALLY bad) and it's really not good. When I went to the doctor about them last time she gave me migraine tablets which made it worse, so I don't know what to do :( So yeh. Um, probably not making a lot of sense atm lol, but if ya make sense of it, then help would be much appreciated :)

Comments

• Options
    OK, I kinda have a theory going here.

If viatmins helped you inthe past - were they just Vitamins or Vitamins and Minerals?

If you're self harming with cuts and scrathes - you're damagaing your skin - in order to repair skin you need Zinc - thus the Zinc gets used up repairing the dmaaged skin ... Zinc or lack of Zinc has been linked to depression.

Do you have any White Marks on your finger nails? This is one sign of lack Zinc.

http://www.1st-in-vitamins-nutritional-supplements.com/zinc-deficiency.html

Anyway the more you self harm - the less zinc you have and thus if you have zinc related depression - the more you get depressed and themore you harm yorself - like a big circle of harm adn depression.

I'd suggest taking a good multi vitamin and Mineral like Centrium or Centrium for the over 50's cos I think that has a stronger Forumla and even if it has Zinc to take some extra Zinc as othe things like Vitamin A block the absorption of Zinc.

Best to take Zinc with Copper as too much Zinc reduces copper it he body - I take one from Holland and Barrett - 15mg Zinc with copper, was very cheap when they had a sale - about £1 somethng for 60 tablets... I take it cos it's good for skin and acne.

Try that first ....
  • Options
    Re: Stress . . .
    Originally posted by *x*l'il miss socks*x*
    Ok, so I'm a wee bit stressed atm. That isn't good, cos when I say a wee bit, I mean MAJORLY. And when I get stressed I get headaches, really nasty painful ones. My vitamins aren't helping anymore. I had a HUGE argument with my (now forever ex) best freind yesterday, where I basically told him I didn't like him no more and to fuck off and leave me alone (ha!). That was good. But then he started telling my Woo that I didn't want to be friends with her no more, and she got all worried. So that got me stressed. So what with the added pressure of school (my mum is making me get really good marks, cos she thinks I'm some kind of wonder-child cos of a few good SATS results in year 9), having to choose a THIRD work experience (I wasn't enthusiastic enough at the interview apparently, lol), and other things, I'm getting so stressed. I don't want to tell my mum cos she will worry. But I need to figure it out. The headaches are getting to be worse than they were a year ago (when they were REALLY bad) and it's really not good. When I went to the doctor about them last time she gave me migraine tablets which made it worse, so I don't know what to do :( So yeh. Um, probably not making a lot of sense atm lol, but if ya make sense of it, then help would be much appreciated :)

Hun *hugs* why not just try lying down and forgetting about everything. I agree with you nowadays there is lots of expectation and pressure from parents/other people to live a certain way, get certain grades, do certain things. But really the only one who matters is you. So lie down, put some loud music on, tell your parents/family/friends to bugger off (in the nicest way possible :p) and just *chill* :) Does me wonders, make sure you don't think too much when you're chilling either lol, cos it just makes things worse. Unless you get a Eureka moment and get stressed cos you know now what you need to do and cant do it for the next week/month cos of circumstances. That's a bloody bugger.

Anyway *hugs* again and forget about everything. No-ones perfect, life definitly isn't perfect so just take it as it comes :)
  • Options
    Originally posted by DiamondGeezer
    OK, I kinda have a theory going here.

If viatmins helped you inthe past - were they just Vitamins or Vitamins and Minerals?

If you're self harming with cuts and scrathes - you're damagaing your skin - in order to repair skin you need Zinc - thus the Zinc gets used up repairing the dmaaged skin ... Zinc or lack of Zinc has been linked to depression.

Do you have any White Marks on your finger nails? This is one sign of lack Zinc.

http://www.1st-in-vitamins-nutritional-supplements.com/zinc-deficiency.html

Anyway the more you self harm - the less zinc you have and thus if you have zinc related depression - the more you get depressed and themore you harm yorself - like a big circle of harm adn depression.

I'd suggest taking a good multi vitamin and Mineral like Centrium or Centrium for the over 50's cos I think that has a stronger Forumla and even if it has Zinc to take some extra Zinc as othe things like Vitamin A block the absorption of Zinc.

Best to take Zinc with Copper as too much Zinc reduces copper it he body - I take one from Holland and Barrett - 15mg Zinc with copper, was very cheap when they had a sale - about £1 somethng for 60 tablets... I take it cos it's good for skin and acne.

Try that first ....

The vitamins I have atm have minerals with them. I will talk to my mum about the Zinc n Copper thing when she gets home tomorrow :) thanks for the advice :) Oh and ShyBoy hun, my mother complains if I play my music too loud :rolleyes: but good idea hun :heart:
  • Options
    The vitamins I have atm have minerals with them. I will talk to my mum about the Zinc n Copper thing when she gets home tomorrow :) thanks for the advice :) Oh and ShyBoy hun, my mother complains if I play my music too loud :rolleyes: but good idea hun :heart:

Zinc is really hard to get naturally in your diet unless you eat a lot of seafood.

Also look into Lithium
    http://www.nami.org/Template.cfm?Section=About_Medications&template=/ContentManagement/ContentDisplay.cfm&ContentID=7402
  • Options
    Originally posted by DiamondGeezer
    Zinc is really hard to get naturally in your diet unless you eat a lot of seafood.

Also look into Lithium
    http://www.nami.org/Template.cfm?Section=About_Medications&template=/ContentManagement/ContentDisplay.cfm&ContentID=7402

:yuck: seafood nasty! What does lithium do? I really don't have the time to look lol!
  • Options
    :yuck: seafood nasty! What does lithium do? I really don't have the time to look lol!

I posted a site that explains a lot about Lithium .. read it .. make the time .. if you have tim to use the net you have time to look into your health and well being.

What is lithium?

Lithium carbonate--a salt--came to be regularly used to control manic depression in this country in the 1970's. Today it is the second most commonly used medication to treat bipolar disorder (manic depression). There are a variety of different brands of lithium dispensed in tablets, capsules, and liquid form: Cibalith-S, Eskalith, Lithane, Lithobid, Lithonate, and Lithotabs. Lithium is helpful in 70 percent to 80 percent of people with bipolar disorder, making it one of the most effective psychiatric medications available.

What does lithium treat?

Lithium has been most frequently and effectively used to control and prevent manic episodes in persons with bipolar disorder. Lithium has been successful in treating depression as well. In fact, the occurrence of depression in a person with bipolar disorder who has been taking lithium is often an indication that a higher dose is needed. In some cases, lithium is even a successful treatment for those with unipolar depression, or those who have never had a manic episode. Individuals who respond to lithium for depression are often those who have not responded to tricyclic antidepressants after several weeks of treatment. When given lithium in addition to their antidepressants, some of these people have shown significant improvement.

Lithium has also successfully treated schizophrenia in cases where there is a schizophrenic thought disorder accompanied by a change in mood that mimics either mania or depression. The similarity between people with this type of schizophrenia and those diagnosed with manic depression is their mood disorder--that is, the experience of strong emotions not related to what is happening in the environment. People with schizophrenia not experiencing a mood disorder will not likely respond to the combination of lithium and antipsychotic medication.

How long does lithium take to work?

For lithium to reach its maximum effectiveness, two or even three weeks are often required. To control severe mania, doctors often will prescribe an antipsychotic drug while waiting for lithium to take affect. When the manic symptoms disappear, the antipsychotic may sometimes be discontinued, but the lithium continued.

Some people on lithium report having breakthrough depression. These individuals may respond to an increase in the dosage or the addition of an antidepressant. When depressions occur in those who have been taking lithium and who are able to tolerate a higher dose, it is possible that the dosage has been inadequate.

What are the side effects of lithium?

Common side effects of lithium include nausea, loss of appetite, and mild diarrhea. These usually will taper off after the first few weeks. Dizziness and hand tremors have also been reported, and tremors can be diminished effectively if the dosage of lithium is gradually decreased. Medications that control tremors include the beta-blockers like Inderal. With Inderal, however, there may be a lowering of the patient's blood pressure and heart rate, and sudden discontinuation can cause anxiety and tremulousness.

Increased production of urine and excessive thirst are two common side effects that are usually not serious problems, but patients with kidney disease should not be given lithium. Midamor is a drug that can reduce urinating. Taking the day's dosage of lithium at bedtime also seems to help with the problem of increased urination. Other side effects of lithium include weight gain, hypothyroidism, increased white blood cell count, and skin rashes.

People who are taking lithium should consult their doctor before taking the following: Ibuprofen (Advil), acetazolamide, antihypertensives, anti-inflammatory drugs, calcium channel blockers, carbamazepine, diuretics, or muscle relaxants.

While on lithium, a patient's blood level must be closely monitored. If the blood level of lithium is too low, the patient's symptoms will not be relieved. If the blood level of lithium is too high, there is a danger of a toxic reaction. It is very important not to become dehydrated or to start a low salt diet while on lithium. Consumers should tell their doctor immediately if they develop nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, confusion, or an increase in tremulousness.

Are there specific concerns about lithium and pregnancy?

A study was done in 1992 to measure the effect of lithium on unborn babies. It was found that exposure to lithium during the first trimester of pregnancy might be associated with the increased risk of Ebstein's anomaly, a rare cardiac malformation. Otherwise, the rate of congenital malformations did not differ between the group that took lithium and the control group. Birthweight, however, was found to be significantly higher in the lithium group, despite the high percentage of lithium users who were also cigarette smokers (almost twice as many as the control group). More recently, scientists have come to doubt that lithium produces adverse effects on the fetus and psychiatrists are increasingly willing to prescribe it to pregnant women with bipolar disorder.
  • Options
    If something your doctor prescribes makes things worse you should go back to them and tell them. If you are still getting migraines, go to your GP again ... mention how stressed you are too, as living with a high level of stress isn't healthy either and they will be able to suggest ways to calm you down.

If you aren't getting on with your current GP you can always request a second opinion from another GP in the surgery.

We also have information on anxiety and stress here

Take care

Susie :)
  • Options
    Originally posted by Susie
    If something your doctor prescribes makes things worse you should go back to them and tell them. If you are still getting migraines, go to your GP again ... mention how stressed you are too, as living with a high level of stress isn't healthy either and they will be able to suggest ways to calm you down.

If you aren't getting on with your current GP you can always request a second opinion from another GP in the surgery.

We also have information on anxiety and stress here

Take care

Susie :)

I don't know if they are actually migraines, my mum gets them but she says that she gets really sick when she has them. I tried to tell my mum last night about how bad they are getting again but she wasn't really listening. Will try again later but she doesn't really have the time to take me to the doctors. Will look at that link tomorrow (bit busy atm). Thanks :)