Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Victim of fashion

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Has anyone willingly paid WAY too much for an item of clothing, knowing its because of the brand name? I once fell in love with a jumper, then saw the £45 price tag, and THEN saw the tiny "Kangol" label on the front :(
I knew it was that which made it so expensive, but the nice man could tell i really liked it, and he let me have it for £40. Come to think of it, its still going strong even after 3 years. :)

Comments

• Options
    Hmmmm well i do like my designer clothes and today i was looking on the internet for a burberry towel to take on my holidays, and no im not a chembo i just like burberry :p. Anyway this towel is about £60 and I was gonna buy it, everyone at work was saying id be mad to pay that for a towel, but i really want it!
  • Options
    i always buy designer stuff, i think it does last longer even though you payin way too much. plus you also have that feeling like 'yeah im wearing a firetraop jacket that cost 55quid' if u get what i mean

xxx
  • Options
    You get what you pay for. If you want quality that will last, go with the labels. If you want rubbish that will fall apart quickly, buy cheap stuff.
  • Options
    Can usually justify it with the fact that he quality is better.
  • Options
    i normally avoid brand names, why pay twice the price for something which is basically the same etc etc. Although i did go and buy a lovely pair of o'neill jeans today £25 in the sale, less than half price.:D
  • Options
    Originally posted by Franglais
    i normally avoid brand names, why pay twice the price for something which is basically the same etc etc.

That's not true at all.
  • Options
    Originally posted by squat_tom
    You get what you pay for. If you want quality that will last, go with the labels. If you want rubbish that will fall apart quickly, buy cheap stuff.

this is actually not true.

i studied fashion for a time, and you label queens might be interested to know that often the same factories are commisioned to make both designer and high street brands.

usually the only thing that makes the cheap stuff cheap is the quality of the actual fabrics used. for example, polycotton is loads cheaper than pure cotton, but to someone who doesn't know much about fabric, they feel the same and last as long as each other.

i've had branded (expensive) things that have fallen apart in weeks. and then i have had a winter coat from H&M kids that has lasted 4 years so far, and set me back a princely £15.

you are paying for a label.

having said that, i'd quite like you to pay for my label, cause then i'd get loads of cash....
  • Options
    Originally posted by kaffrin

i studied fashion for a time, and you label queens might be interested to know that often the same factories are commisioned to make both designer and high street brands.

usually the only thing that makes the cheap stuff cheap is the quality of the actual fabrics used. for example, polycotton is loads cheaper than pure cotton, but to someone who doesn't know much about fabric, they feel the same and last as long as each other.

i've had branded (expensive) things that have fallen apart in weeks. and then i have had a winter coat from H&M kids that has lasted 4 years so far, and set me back a princely £15.

having said that, i'd quite like you to pay for my label, cause then i'd get loads of cash....

Companies often use the same factories, but they don't use the same quality of fabric. Many textile fabrics produce a variety of fabrics, of varying quality. At the very top-end, they produce a smaller quantity, but at very high quality.
  • Options
    Companies often use the same factories, but they don't use the same quality of fabric. Many textile fabrics produce a variety of fabrics, of varying quality. At the very top-end, they produce a smaller quantity, but at very high quality.

you don't know much about textiles, do you?

denim is denim, whether it's earl jean denim, or primark denim.

you really won't find that much variation between different types of the same kind of fabric.

yeah, fair enough if you want pure silk or chantilly lace, it's gonna set you back a bit, but the vast majority of designer labels use exactly the same fabrics as somewhere like topshop/topman.

'cheap' shops will use cheaper fabrics, that's true. but they're just as hardwearing.
  • Options
    of course, i really only buy designer clothes(not to show off, just a personal preference) and id never buy anything i didnt like just cos its got a label. so basically everything i buy i pay over the odds for but youve got to expect to. for example, white prada shirt for £160 when u could get the same elsewhere for probably £10-£20, but i reckon basically any piece bought anywhere is overprice when you see how much profit is being made after cost of raw materials, transportation, VAT, labour etc.
  • Options
    £160 for a shirt!!! :eek: :crazyeyes :eek2:

OMFG!!

no, I don't buy labels. I can't afford to. Plus, I get tired of my clothes after about a year and want new ones. So whether designer clothes last longer than cheaper ones is irrelevant to me. I would much rather get millions of items from Primark than one item from a designer shop for the same price!
  • Options
    I paid £30 for a small Morgan bag last Monday.

Argh.
  • Options
    i generally buy designer stuff altho tbh its highstreet designer e.g miss sixty, diesel, ted baker, firetrap.. theres no way i could afford prada, gucci, versace etc.

and £30 is not expensive for a bag normally, but morgan? i can't believe they charge so much for what is essentially a pile of crap.
  • Options
    Originally posted by lipsy

and £30 is not expensive for a bag normally, but morgan? i can't believe they charge so much for what is essentially a pile of crap.

I pay like a tenner for my bags :eek2:
  • Options
    you don't know much about textiles, do you?

denim is denim, whether it's earl jean denim, or primark denim.

you really won't find that much variation between different types of the same kind of fabric.

yeah, fair enough if you want pure silk or chantilly lace, it's gonna set you back a bit, but the vast majority of designer labels use exactly the same fabrics as somewhere like topshop/topman.

'cheap' shops will use cheaper fabrics, that's true. but they're just as hardwearing.

:lol:

I know a damn site more about textiles than you, that is patently obvious. I've just spent the summer working at a technology company that makes fabric analysis machinery. Therefore I know a lot more than someone who studied it for a little while as a fashion student. :rolleyes:

All denim is not the same. There are so many differences between Earl Jean denim and Primark (yuk!) denim. They are about 5 grades apart. The number of stains, holes and weaving faults allowed in Primark denim far exceeds the standards of Earl.

There is so much difference between the different grades of a fabric, that your statement about Topman/Topshop using the same quality as an expensive designer shows your ignorance on the issue.

The reason that Armani Jeans sell for more than H&M jeans is that they use very different denim quality types. This affect the price, as the denim manufacturer is able to sell higher quality denim at a much higher price. It's the same for everything, from white cotton to worsted.
  • Options

[/SIZE]

:yes:

I don't understand why people pay so much for some clothes.

Seriously though, I went into Harvey Nicks in Leeds with my ex some time ago (lol the dirty looks we got from 'the beautiful people') and there was a grey Prada jumper for £250! Could have popped into Oxfam and got a similar jumper for £2.50!
  • Options
    Originally posted by rachie004
    isnt there like a 500% profit margin on clothes?

Got told that it was at least 400%, which means that it can exceed a lot more than that.
  • Options
    :lol:

I know a damn site more about textiles than you, that is patently obvious. I've just spent the summer working at a technology company that makes fabric analysis machinery. Therefore I know a lot more than someone who studied it for a little while as a fashion student. :rolleyes:

yeah, i suppose you've worked in the fashion industry and know first hand what grades of fabric the companies used. your summer job hardly makes you the expert...:rolleyes:

example: tommy hilfiger. he commisions his clothes from other companies, adds his labels, and bumps the price up 200%

is there any difference between the quality of the materials used here? nope. they're the same products, but with different labels.
  • Options
    yeah, i suppose you've worked in the fashion industry and know first hand what grades of fabric the companies used. your summer job hardly makes you the expert...:rolleyes:

example: tommy hilfiger. he commisions his clothes from other companies, adds his labels, and bumps the price up 200%

is there any difference between the quality of the materials used here? nope. they're the same products, but with different labels.
    I'll admit that I've not done the job my entire life. However, I learned enough over the summer to know what I'm talking about. It also helps that my father is CEO of the company. I'm confident that I'm right.
    I've worked with the major mills of most woven cloths from white cotton for tshirts, to silk for men's ties. The analysis machinery that I've been working on allows that mills to optimise the volume of Grade A fabric that they produce. Grade A sells at the top end of the market and fetches the highest price. It is not often bought by high street shops to make their 'comparable quality' products.

Tommy Hilfiger is a not a designer label, it is a brand. People do not buy TH for designer label quality, they buy it for the brand. A subtle difference, but one I would have expected a fashion student to understand.
  • Options
    I'll admit that I've not done the job my entire life. However, I learned enough over the summer to know what I'm talking about. It also helps that my father is CEO of the company. I'm confident that I'm right.
    I've worked with the major mills of most woven cloths from white cotton for tshirts, to silk for men's ties. The analysis machinery that I've been working on allows that mills to optimise the volume of Grade A fabric that they produce. Grade A sells at the top end of the market and fetches the highest price. It is not often bought by high street shops to make their 'comparable quality' products.

Tommy Hilfiger is a not a designer label, it is a brand. People do not buy TH for designer label quality, they buy it for the brand. A subtle difference, but one I would have expected a fashion student to understand.

ok, firstly, cotton jersey, the stuff they make t-shirts out of, is not a 'woven cloth'.

yes, a label and a brand are different. but i doubt anyone here wear haute couture clothing, so for the purposes of this discussion, they are essentially the same thing.

yeah, maybe i only studied fashion for a year, but i was taught by people who had spent 20, 30, one almost 40 years in the fashion industry. not the textiles industry, which is an entirely different thing. i'm fairly confident that they know what the deal is.
  • Options
    Why wear clothes at all when we were born naked? - The only protection we really need is skin. :p

I don't wear designer names because they're designer... I wear designer names because of their purpose - Van's/DC shoes for skating in, Quicksilver for skiing in etc etc.
    One thing though: I just can't understand the need for Burberry :mad: :yuck:

Ilora x :p
  • Options
    Originally posted by Ilora-Danon
    Why wear clothes at all when we were born naked? - The only protection we really need is skin. :p

Don't you study fashion? :p
  • Options
    I once paid £80 for a pair or Paul Frank pj's :eek2:, but they are like soooo comfy!
  • Options
    I hate Burberry! You do not always get what you pay for; some cheaper items of clothing are better than designer. I don't mind paying more for clothes i want to last me a long time, eg classic shirts/a winter coat; they're investments. If you like to change wardrobe with seasons, H+M is probably good for 'throwaway fashion.'
  • Options
    get him kaffrin