Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

my little boys not well

hes got hand, foot and mouth disease and hes got a huge blister on his tongue about the size of my little fingernail. poor mite, hes so miserable, and he screams with pain every time he tries to eat something. Apparently its extremely common, but i feel so sorry for him as i know its painful to even have a small ulcer on your tongue, let alone a massive blister. Id rather it was me ill than him :(
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    *hugs* will it take long to pass? sounds terrible for your son :(
  • Options
    thanks charbaby :) It can take up to a week to pass, Im taking him to the doctors this afternoon, as although its not serious and they dont usually treat it, they did say the blister sounded big, so wanted to look at it and maybe give me something for that. Hes just so upset and not himself. All i can do for now is keep dosing him up with calpol which doesnt seem to be helping that much unfortunatly. my poor baby:crying:
  • Options
    a weeks not too long, good thing really sounds like he's in a lot of pain, maybe take him out for a nice treat when he gets better :)
    until then just mother him completely, thats all i want when im ill!
  • Options
    I use TCP for a mouth ulcer - just soak the tip of a eat bud and then dub it on the ulcer - seems to tsooth it and help it heal better.
  • Options
    huggles to you & L :) he'll be ok :thumb:
  • Options
    Originally posted by DiamondGeezer
    I use TCP for a mouth ulcer - just soak the tip of a eat bud and then dub it on the ulcer - seems to tsooth it and help it heal better.
    wouldnt that sting like mad?
  • Options
    Originally posted by rainbow brite
    wouldnt that sting like mad?

yeah it would kill, and probably not very effective, all it will do is sterilize it
    if you do that to your boy, i dont think he'll talk to you for weeks
  • Options
    Yeah I dont think ill do that. Hes only 2, I dont think hell understand mummy doing something that hurts him. I dont think I could do it.
  • Options
    The old TCp used to sting like mad - the new one much less - I find it stings for about 2 seconds and then it's all soothing!!

If little one you could dilute it with water to make it weaker and see how he goes - if it's not bad then dilute with less water .. TCP really does help ... I find it makes the pain go away and if you gargle with diluted TCP it kills all the germs in the mouth giving the ulcer a better environment to begin healing - at least that's my theory from using it ... damn that's just reminded me my relatives in Kenya want me to send them TCP when my folks leave tomorrow .... better go get some .. TCP is serously good stuff - don't use dettol or something similar most of those can't be used in the mouth. And are more suitable to cleaning floors.

TCP also good for whiteheads (Acne) ... it can make them disappear overnight in some cases.
  • Options
    i use tcp as a mouth wash. it is basicaly phenol if i remember correctly. not the sort of thing you'd use on a suffering toddler! don't do it rainbow.
  • Options
    another blister has come up on the other side of his tongue now. he cant eat or drink and ive just had my worst ever night with him. We got a couple of hours sleep maximum. I was in tears to the doctors receptionist this morning as he is crying so much. I feel so worn down, but the poor lad is in agony. The worst thing is theres not much I can do for him except dose him up with painkillers, and they dont really touch it much :(
    Thanks for being nice everyone, Im not gonna do the TCP thing though.
  • Options
  • Options
    aaawww poor bairn :(

I know you said he cant drink but be careful because if he is not eating or drinking then he could dehydrate. Can he suck an ice pop? just try and get some fluids into him.

I hate it when little uns poorly, id rather it was me who was ill. What about just using a mouth wash? Our Becks pulled her tooth out the other week and it looked horrible so hubby bought an antiseptic mouthwash from the chemist and when she swilled her mouth out it didnt hurt or sting her she just didnt like the smell, it could help.

Hope he gets better soon :(
  • Options
    The doctor did actually suggest ice lollies, and i bought him some mini milks specially yesterday. He ate a bit of one. Ill keep trying.
    Its so sad really as hes starving. he kept asking for milk last night, but couldnt actually drink anything, he just clutched onto his bottle but when he tried to drink, it hurt him. Heartbreaking really. I do wish it was me rather than him. Hes not too bad at the moment, hes in his pushchair in front of the telly, so hes relaxing even if hes not sleeping. Dont know how long that will last though. First time ive ever seen a toddler with bags under their eyes.
  • Options
    Hows he doin' Rainbow?!

Sounds awful, just as bad for you watchin' him in pain as it is for him to suffer it. Poor little lad... *hugs for both of you*
  • Options
    Originally posted by rainbow brite
    Its so sad really as hes starving. he kept asking for milk last night, but couldnt actually drink anything, he just clutched onto his bottle but when he tried to drink, it hurt him.

Would he be able to manage a straw? I remember Becks having a sore mouth and I could only get her to drink using a straw.

Hope he has picked up now, I bet your shattered too. It takes it out of you looking after a poorly little one, especially when you had no sleep.

Hope hes improved :(
  • Options
    hubby took over last night, so i managed to get some sleep, but he had to take today off work hes so tired. Lenny is finally managing to drink milk this morning, without screaming, which is loads better than yesterday. Hes still not well and hes still got the blisters, but hopefully hell be starting to be on the mend after today :) I feel a lot more able to cope with it today after getting some sleep.
    Thanks everyone for asking.