Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

What do I actually need?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Hi :)
So i'm starting uni this year and moving into catered Halls. I went shopping today to Ikea for bits and bobs, but then realised I didnt actually know what i was likely to need.

I got a couple of bowls and plates for snacks and stuff (i'll only break them :rolleyes: ) and a couple of glasses.
Oh, and a draw top laundry bag so i can chuck all my stuff in and then carry it easily to the wash machines. My friend suggested a big, air tight one would be best, then the smell doesnt permeate when i'm lazy/skint and leave them in there abit to long before washing, but thats likely to take up room i dont have.

So what was your most essential item, and the thing you took that you found you didnt need?

And I've seen this I'm just wondering afresh.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Toastie maker
    Random bits of crockery
  • Options
    Clothes horse :yes:

Lots of mugs
    Posters/photos
    Radio alarm clock
    Kettle for your room? (some halls theoretically won;t let you have a kettle for your room, but I just hid mine whenever the cleaner was in. It was sooooo handy for making coffee/pot noodles/cup-a-soups when I couldn't be arsed going along to the kitchen)
    Lots of music
    Ear plugs for when you're trying to sleep while other people are partying or slamming doors all night
    Slippers and dressing gown - to slip on when the fire alarms go off at 5am

Also, if you're in catered halls, don't leave your milk in the fridge. It will get nicked. put it in a plastic bag and hang it outside your window - this also helps on the making coffee without leaving your room side of things too!
  • Options
    Hi Fi, pens and notepad, mini bar.
  • Options
    Something to hit your neighbours with if they're making too much noise. I found a golf club worked well :D
  • Options
    A Stereo....no doubt about it! And some stuff to put on the walls, photos etc. A kettle is a good idea...you could even get one of those little fridges because if you are sharing a kitchen with people (Even catered halls have them) then people are bound to nick your milk.

From Ikea? Hmmmm...a nice loungy chair, although they will provide on in your room. You could always get some nice curtains because the ones in the room will probably be minging!

Some cups so that when all your new friends come round you can make them tea...and some glasses for booze!
  • Options
    dont necessarily worry about stuff getting knicked in the kitchen and that coz i lived in halls last year and never had anything nicked.. must depend on who u end up living with!

take loadsa posters and stuff coz the walls will probably look crappy with all the blue tack and wotever the last people in there b4 u have done to it! makes it feel more homely and less prison cell like too!!

and usually if they say in ur contract ur not meant to put posters up.. its a load of bollox.. use white tack and u will be fine!
  • Options
    get one of those mini shelf/drawer things, on wheels...from IKEA

When I was in halls, the room was pretty small and didnt have *that* much storage space, so that thing^^ was dead handy :thumb: