Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Does Anyone Here Make Their Own Clothes?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I've had some custom made shirts done on Holiday and now I'm kinda hooked on the whole custom made thing .. when I go back I want to design a whole load of stuff and get it made...

A suit and some trousers and more shirts - just the way I like them without collars and no pocket on the chest.

So anyone here make their own stuff and design it yourself or use a pattern?

Comments

• Options
    i personalise most of my clothes. i like to attack jeans with stitching and patches, badges and dye and so on. bows and ties and things. i like doing stuff like that. i've made a few tops, but prefer to just customise my trousers/skirts
  • Options
    PM Kaffrin, she does stuff like that and would be glad of the custom! =)
  • Options
    Originally posted by BumbleBee
    PM Kaffrin, she does stuff like that and would be glad of the custom! =)

Sounds good but I'd kinda like to learn how to make something myself .. Men clothing is often techincally crap.

Like you have trouser pockets and they're fine until you sit in your car and then all the money slids out of them - Marks & Spencers trouser pocket are like that all the time - don't know why no one ever realised that!!

Also doing it on holiday is so cheap - my shirt's costed like £3 to £4 for the material and £1 for the stiching - and the most amazing thing is they never need to be ironed!!! I can stick them inthe washing machne - hang them to dry and not a crease on them ... I wore one on the plane home and sat in my seat for 8 hours and not a crease when I got up!!!

I also like the custom lengt cos standard off the shelf shirts are too long for me to wear my shirt hanging out - but the custom ones look really nice and well fitted!!

But I want to go next time with some designs - if you show them what it's supposed to look like they are very Good at making copies.
  • Options
    Kaffrin makes her own stuff. Them trousers she made were brilliant. :thumb:

Ive made some stuff before because i do textiles at school. Its quite enjoyable really when you know what you want to do.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Young and sexy
    Kaffrin makes her own stuff. Them trousers she made were brilliant. :thumb:

Ive made some stuff before because i do textiles at school. Its quite enjoyable really when you know what you want to do.

What kinda stuff do you make?

I'd love to learn to make a whole suit or something .. but think that's way too complicated.

I've made T-Shirts - but really I bought plain white ones and deisgned something on my Pc and printed it on transfer paper that you iron on. I made alittle version for my friend's 3 year old son with his picture on it - he loved it!!!

I saw this programme on Hollywood fashions and in one shop they were selling hand made t-shirt for $1,800 each - they said they took 20 hours to make - but that's like $90 per hour!!

I think Men's shirts could do with a bit of spice up - there's lots of patterns and colour to choose from - but the cut of men's shirts are pretty bog standard and they're not really designed to be worn outside of the trouser.

Is there any kind of software for design cutting patterns?
  • Options
    Originally posted by DiamondGeezer
    What kinda stuff do you make?
    The best thing ive made is probably a skirt, i was quite proud of it seeing as its the first item of clothing ive made.

Most material shops sell pattern pieces if you ask...
  • Options
    Hmm. I'd like to be able to make my own clothes. It'd make things a LOT easier, especially if I could make trousers. I tried on some jeans from NEXT's 'petite' range today, only to find that the legs were too long :rolleyes:

Like Em, I did Textiles at school, but never really got on with making clothes. I tried, but found it complicated. I much prefered making up my own designs completely from scratch and making those, so tended to make soft furnishings or other textile products, and stuck with that through to my coursework and final exam.
  • Options
    Originally posted by DiamondGeezer
    Is there any kind of software for design cutting patterns?

Yes, but it's really expensive as far as I know. Generally only used in the industry, so styles of clothing can be changed easily, and nests of sizes can be made up. Then the computers link up to the cutting machines to cut the fabric and so on.

I don't think there are any more commercial design packages for clothing.
  • Options
    Hmm...thought Id add a piccyture of my skirt
  • Options
    I designed my own Ball Gown for my last prom, I played around with several designs I'd done a while back, put them altogether and came up with a single design... Cost £250 to have it made, as my sewing machine went bust. I would've attempted it myself had it been working :rolleyes:

Ilora x
  • Options
    Originally posted by Ilora-Danon
    Cost £250 to have it made,

:eek2:

i bet i could have done it for £50.

yes you can buy pattern making software, but it's SO ridiculously expensive, and usually not designed for home PCs.

go to an evening class and learn pattern cutting and dressmaking. it's usually only about £30 and you'll have all the skills you need.

alternatively you can try to teach yourself from a book. 'metric pattern cutting' is the best, by winifred aldrich (i think). but it's really hard to follow without any prior knowledge of pattern cutting.

for a beginner, the best thing is to stick to commercial patterns until you have the skills to design your own.

it's not as easy as it looks....
  • Options
    Originally posted by Young and sexy
    Hmm...thought Id add a piccyture of my skirt

wow... that's really good ... and it looks like the sort of thing that would suit you perfectly!!

Actually I'm sooo lazy - I'd love to design things but when it comes to the cutting out and stitching I'd be so useless!!!

When I designed my shirts I told the tailor how I wanted everything and his sewing dude did everythng ... it's amazing though if you're lucks in how fashion can take someone from an orindary person into an icon like armarni or something. I mean the guy set out to be a Doctor but he fainted at the sight of blood so turned to clothes design!!

Has anyone ever seena double layered shirt before? I'd love to try and have one made - i mean using two layers of frabric instead of just one - so it's less see through and so the frabiac cascades to give a different effect from a single layered shirt?

many years ago my mother bought me a slightyl off white silk shirt - was lovely - until I wore it and realised you could see my nipples - anyway one day i thought let me try and wear it and I got pinched - so I never wore that again!! Wish that was double layered would have looked so nice!!

I'd also like to make a shirt out of two different colour frabric - like this guy had on .. although he's actually wearing a white shrt and like a big waist coat.
    http://www.andrew.cmu.edu/~om/images/anuj2.jpg
  • Options
    i have made a lot of my own clothes, i don't use patterns tho, it kinda defeats the purpose. I haven't for a while tho because i've been rather busy working, and there's no point cos i'm constantly loosing weight so they won't fit for more than a week.