Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Average number of partners

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Does anyone know what the average number of sexual partners is in the UK?

I thought it was 4-5 but I've been told it's 10. Seems a bit high though :confused:

Comments

• Options
    I think its higher then that.

Also I read women are lying about the number of partners they have so you'll never know.
  • Options
    Id say it was 10 or thereabouts.
  • Options
    10's really not high at all if you think about it.
  • Options
    Originally posted by my_name
    Well, yeah it is "if you think about it" - One of the the main aims in life "was" to be in a monogamous relationship... so go figure :p

Ilora x
  • Options
    Originally posted by Ilora-Danon
    Well, yeah it is "if you think about it" - Of of the the main aims in life "was" to be in a monogamous relationship... so go figure :p

Ilora x

but its not as if your going to find that person on your fist go... or second, or even third. and how discustingly young people are having sex, the number will even be higher. going thur life, even if you main point is to find one partner to love, is going to still be a journey will alot of wrong turns.
  • Options
    Originally posted by my_name

I reckon it is.

The vast majority of people I know are nowhere near 10. More like 2 or 3, some just one.

I had read before that it was 4-5 partners on average in a woman's lifetime, and a little bit more for a guy.
  • Options
    I'd say about 10. me and my fella are both on 9. Most of my mates are somewhere similar to that as well.
  • Options
    Originally posted by EssEmm
    I had read before that it was 4-5 partners on average in a woman's lifetime, and a little bit more for a guy.

Thats what I've heard.
  • Options
    4-5?! i'm already up to 3 and i'm 19 so if i only ever have sex with 1-2more people in my LIFETIME well i find that quite lame.

i need to experience lots of people and have fun before i settle down and find 'the one'
  • Options
    10?
    I find that a bit much really, but then I'm only 20 so it is much for my age.
    I suppose it can totally vary from person to person though, someone might fall in love at the first attempt and happily be with just one person sexually all their lives.
    Or you might get a slapper who jumps into bed with anybody and everybody, ending with a tally in double figures before they hit 21 years old.

Personally I'm on...*counts*...well it depends on whether it counts as just penetration or ejaculation, in which case it'd be either 5 (I think) or 2.
  • Options
    Bugger. I'm way above the national average. But then I am 30yo. :p
  • Options
    Originally posted by lipsy
    4-5?! i'm already up to 3 and i'm 19 so if i only ever have sex with 1-2more people in my LIFETIME well i find that quite lame.

i need to experience lots of people and have fun before i settle down and find 'the one'

Why is it lame? What if you meet someone you fall for in a seriously big way?

It's only the national average, which means some people will be way above, but then some will only ever sleep with one person.
  • Options
    yeh i know that EssEmm. i'm talkin about me though, not other people. i have friends who are engaged and lost their virginity to each other. so if all goes well for them they would only sleep with 1person their whole life. but that's not for me, to me thats game over. but everyones has different attitudes to sex and relationships and i accept that.
  • Options
    Does anyone want to be average? Who cares if you've had more or less than the 'average'? If you're happy with however many people you've slept with then what's the problem?
  • Options
    Originally posted by The Philosopher
    If you're happy with however many people you've slept with then what's the problem?

I've been with two people, and as I'm now engaged I'm hoping that it will stay that way! I feel that (for me) two is one to many, whereas lots of my mates think two is 10 to few! Its whatever you feel happy with:)
  • Options
    If you're happy with however many people you've slept with then what's the problem?

Who said there was a problem?

Geeeez, some people are so fucking up-tight :rolleyes: :)
  • Options
    Does anyone want to be average? Who cares if you've had more or less than the 'average'? If you're happy with however many people you've slept with then what's the problem?

:yes: :thumb: i said niceeeeeee oneeeeee bruvvvver!
  • Options
    Originally posted by lipsy

That statement, although very valid, shows what a sham "The one" and "Love" is.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Sir Cum

Long-term relationships are the key to having great sex. That fact is without doubt.

Ive got two notches on my bedpost. And as Ive found what I was looking for its enough, many people wont be as lucky as to find what theyre looking for after so few tries. But once youve found it, youre not gonna go round the block again just to bve on the safe side:)
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    Long-term relationships are the key to having great sex. That fact is without doubt.

Ive got two notches on my bedpost. And as Ive found what I was looking for its enough, many people wont be as lucky as to find what theyre looking for after so few tries. But once youve found it, youre not gonna go round the block again just to bve on the safe side:)

Exactly right. Once you've found someone who satisfies your needs then no-one else matters. Of course there's curiosity but then we all know what happened to the cat. There's a joke in there somewhere.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Sir Cum

hmm yeh, maybe there isn't one person you're destined to be with, its just a matter of when you are ready to commit
  • Options
    Id say 10 sounded about right, Ive had a bit more than that, Ive got friends whove had lots more than that, and friends whove had a lot less - thats why its average. It doesnt mean thats what most people have, it means thats the mean number, ie if you take two people, one has had sex with one person and one has had sex with 20, then thats an average of 10 (I think)
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit

:yes: bang on mate And yeah long term rel's are the key to great sex. Although saying that current fella was damn good from day 1. Maybe thats what made me go back time after time before we decided to make it into a rel. 10 weeks of great sex sort of did it for me. hehe!
  • Options
    it's people like me that are keeping the average down for you whores... :p
  • Options
    i agree that 10 is a bit low. But then again i don't. I guess it really is stupid to base anything on a average. I mean i know some people who have only had about 3 and others close to 30. :rolleyes: