Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

If you were blind ....

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
What would you think in this situation?

You're Blind (totally) and you're going out with a guy/girl that your friends (sighted) told you was very attractive when you first met.

Now after you've been dating for a while your friends tell you that your partner has totally let themselves go. i.e. No make-up, doesn't fix their hair, clothes all a mess, etc. Basically taking advantage of the fact you can't see them.

Anyway would your feelings be hurt?

Comments

• Options
    well i don;t think that would happen as people smarten themselves up just as much for themselves as for another person.

Also I think that even if I couldn't see what someone looked like, I'd be able to use other senses (smell, touch) to find out how my partner was "looking" - their looks to me would obviously depend on the physical rather than the aesthetic. and my compliments towards them would obviously be based on these features. i can't remember where my argument was heading for now...
  • Options
    What a random post...:p
  • Options
    Originally posted by Ilora-Danon
    What a random post...:p

Not if you watch "Becker" on Sky TV - one of the main characters was Blind and this happened to him .. he dumbed the girl cos she dressed down!!
  • Options
    I think an easier question to answer would be something like; if your partner were blind, would you still make an effort to look well-groomed?

Because it's hard to imagine being blind. I guess I'd talk to them about it, though, and ask why they've stopped making an effort and say that I still wanted them to look good and feel good about themselves (because in my opinion looking good makes you feel good). I wouldn't dump them.

If my partner were blind, I think I'd still want to look nice, but I can see how it'd be tempting to think 'oh I won't bother washing my hair today, he's the only one who's going to 'see' me'.

Very interesting question! I like the point KoolCat raised... about making an effort with other senses instead.
  • Options
    ....i suppose I would take the fact they were making less effort that tehere was a problem with our relationship. I would ask him if something was wrong and generally be gentle on him.