Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

The Pill: How Long Before Effective?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
OK firstly I dunno if this belongs in Sex or Health, so sorry if I got the wrong one.

Anyway, how long does it typically take for someone to be protected from pregnancy ocne on the pill? All the websites seem to say your doctor will tell you, but I'd like a rough idea because me and my gf will have the my house to ourselves for about a week, and were thinking of taking advantage of the opportunities open to us..

Comments

• Options
    I think it's about a week. Have a look at the health sections on here, and on some health sites. Also, the blindingly obvious, check the instructions and information that come with your g/f's pills.

Mr_Wobble ;)
  • Options
    read the instructions its all in there hun
  • Options
    lol we don't have it yet, I just posted this to see how long people had to wait to see if we're gonna have time or not, if we would then we'll get it.
  • Options
    from www.fpa.org.uk
    How do I take 21 day pills and phasic pills?
    Take the first pill on the first day your next period. You will be protected at once. If you are told to start on any other day, you will not be protected for the first seven days. So use a condom until then.
    Take your first pill from the bubble marked with the correct day of the week. Try to take it at the same time every day and take a pill every day for 21 days.
    You then stop taking pills for seven days. You should bleed during some of these seven days.
  • Options
    With most pills (but obviously she should check the instructions very carefully) it's immediately effective if taken on the first day of her period. Otherwise it takes a week to become effective.
  • Options
    Because every pill is different, there is no hard or fast answer to your question. You really must wait and read the instructions on the packet and follow them very carefully. We do have lots of information on TheSite which provides a good starting point. Visit this link for more about the pill.
    Hope that helps ;)