Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Student Accomodation

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
I'm moving into a flat later this month. I need to find the cheapest contents insurance for my things. Does anyone know of any good companies that they use or have used in the past? How much was the premium per month? What was the value insured? Thank you in advance:)
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Most students I know go for Endsleigh. I've always relied on the university policy in the past though, but am going to get proper insurance this year so I would also like advice :)
  • Options
    They're not nec. the cheapest though, they just have a campus monopoly ... you may find it is cheaper to add on to parent's or relatives insurance ... I added on to my grandparents when I was at uni...

Just a thought.
  • Options
    Try your student account otherwise. some have cheap belongings insurance.
  • Options
    Endsleigh are generally very good, but check your parents home insurance policy, you may be protected under that provided your room has a lock on it. Home insurance wnt cover your belongings in transport however, and some halls require you to remove ALL your stuff at Xmas and Easter.
  • Options
    im in my 3rd year now and ive always used saxon, which is what the uni itself has

http://www.saxoninsurance.com/

it costs a bit more when you are off campus but never been to bad i dont think
  • Options
    i got my dad to check on his insurance and i'm covered for up to £5000 on that so problem solved:D
  • Options
    Originally posted by Bristolmike
    Endsleigh are generally very good, but check your parents home insurance policy, you may be protected under that provided your room has a lock on it. Home insurance wnt cover your belongings in transport however, and some halls require you to remove ALL your stuff at Xmas and Easter.

OK, I went with Endsleigh for my car insurance whilst at University and continued with them for several year later until i had a car accident and needed them to sort things out - anyway they were totally useless and didn't do anything for 4 months solid apart from pay for the other guy to have his own personal hire car whilst i got nothing.

Then one day I got papers through ordering me to court from the other party's insurance company because Endsliegh weren't doing anything ..... Needless to say I never renewed my insurance withthem and went to Admiral - who are a million times better and respond very quickly.

My advice is to stay away from Endsleigh - look at other companies but also take proactive measures to protect your stuff, you can get a PIR alarm with remote key fod for like £20 from Argos and set it everytime you leave your room, if someone comes in then the alarm will sound - you can get padlocks, etc for your cuboards - I lived in halls for 3 years - never had any trouble.