Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

a-levels

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
ok, im choosing my a-levels at the mo, so far im gonna do english lang and lit (as one), law, government and politics (as one) but i need one more, my dad says do history and me ma says do maths, i wanna do a fun one but cant pick which, any vague ideas?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Re: a-levels
    Originally posted by paperBprincess
    ok, im choosing my a-levels at the mo, so far im gonna do english lang and lit (as one), law, government and politics (as one) but i need one more, my dad says do history and me ma says do maths, i wanna do a fun one but cant pick which, any vague ideas?

I'd find history more interesting personally. But it's up to you.
  • Options
    Do whichever one you enjoy more. Simple :D
  • Options
    i sorta wanted to do drama and theatre studies but i dont think my parents would be too impressed
  • Options
    I've got to decide my A-Level choices next year:confused: I don't know if you'll find this useful, but here it is. It basically shows what percentage of people get the grades A-E. I personally wouldn't do maths, people who get grades such as A's at GCSE often find that they don't do so well at AS/A-Level (or so I've heard). Anyway it's up to you, pick which one will fit in with future career ideas better but you'll have to do the one you enjoy as well.

Although it's next year... I wish to do English Language, English Literature (Can you do two seperates?), History and Economics/Goverment & Politics. I was put off maths.
  • Options
    P.E.

Its piss if you...have...the right kinda body.

All you have to do is write a few essays in addition.

Maths gets hard in the last year, but its not so bad in the first. It's all scaled up, but don't take EdExcel. That board is tough.
  • Options
    i sorta wanted to do drama and theatre studies but i dont think my parents would be too impressed

i did theatre studies A level. it's loads of fun, but it's also very hard work. expect to spend a lot of your evenings doing work if you want to get a good grade.

because there's a lot of anaysis and theory work, theatre studies is a lot more 'respected' than drama, and some people consider it as a sort of english lit.

i made the best friends of my life on that course.... :)
  • Options
    i wanna do coporate law
  • Options
    From the subjects you know you are doing, i would say that History goes the best with them. What you really need to consider is whether what you want to do in the future requires any specific subject. For example some Uni's for Law require you to have history. Also as you are doing the subject for at least one year, pick one that you know you will enjoy or are interested in. I have mates that chose History and they found it very hard work and lots of essays were involved but they really enjoyed it. I did Psychology, English Literature, Business Studies and Sociology. Good luck in whatever you decide :)
  • Options
    Simple really, Maths is one of the bitchest A-levels you can do and all the people who do history moan all the time, pick yaself a doss (ish) subject. GENERAL STUDIES HERE WE GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bopz

P.S. (No offence to anyone soz.....)
  • Options
    With your other subjects in mind I'd suggest history just because it will help with politics and it helps with developing writing styles, debating and research skills. Such skills will transfer well into law. I'd find out what course you'll be doing and whether it interests you. I did history for AS because I love history, but I hated the course, so I dropped it after a year.

You could do maths to add breadth to your A-levels, but unless you really enjoy it, don't do it. I know people who did it and cried in the exams. Don't mean to scare you, but it is hard even for mathematical whizzes (of which I know a few!).

But do the A-levels you'd enjoy because if you have no motivation or like for the subject it becomes monotonous and increasingly hard.

English lit and lang is brilliant though, (as long as you don't study Chaucer:crying: ) which exam board will you be on? You get to do creative writing, it's fun.
  • Options
    I would say maths.

I also had to pick between history and maths for my final A-Level choice. it was not until someone pointed out just how many essays i'd have to do if i did english language, french and history that I decided to sod the history off and do maths instead. you can always read history books at any time (that's what I'm doing now).

if you're doing politics, and eng lang and lit that's already going to be an immense workload as far as essay writing is concerned. adding history on top of that would kill me but it depends what kind of person you are i suppose.

i found maths very easy to cope with, it was just a case of practice makes perfect rather than trying to come up with your own opinions on stuff. and because I knew i wasn't going to carry the maths on at uni, it sort of became my relax subject (a bit like art was for my at GCSE).

yeah, so pick maths :)
  • Options
    Originally posted by ElysiumUnknown

English lit and lang is brilliant though, (as long as you don't study Chaucer:crying: )

I did Chaucer this year for English Lit and hated it! Every lesson consisted of sitting there translating the stupid thing word for word.arrgh! :banghead:
  • Options
    Originally posted by 1andonly
    I did Chaucer this year for English Lit and hated it! Every lesson consisted of sitting there translating the stupid thing word for word.arrgh! :banghead:

Am I the only person who liked Chaucer? Maybe it was the way we were taught, we did character role plays and took the mick out of the olde Englishe style. Didn't any of you actually read the plot? The plot is actually quite funny for the prologue to the Canterbury Tales.

Infinitely better than repeatedly examining depressing and boring stuff like Richard III and Regeneration. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Originally posted by kevlar85
    Am I the only person who liked Chaucer? Maybe it was the way we were taught, we did character role plays and took the mick out of the olde Englishe style. Didn't any of you actually read the plot? The plot is actually quite funny for the prologue to the Canterbury Tales.

Infinitely better than repeatedly examining depressing and boring stuff like Richard III and Regeneration. :rolleyes:

You didn't do it for your A-level nor did you have a teacher straight from uni nor did you have the hardest question on Chaucer ever which has now cost you your A-level in English. :crying:

Once you get past getting the jist of the language it's ok and it's amusing. We did The Merchant's Tale.
  • Options
    I suggest History unless you're really interested in Maths (which it doesn't sound like). Especially if you want to do law.

History is a lot of hard work, but it is interesting. I assume by your other choices you're good at writing essays, & it fits in well with Gov&Pol.

Maths is hard. I had to work my ass off to get a decent grade (which I'm still not sure I'll get), & I never put any effort into GCSE to come top in the school. It has tricks to answering questions (which you usually don't find out until you've failed the exam) and parts are downright confusing.

If you're only looking for something to AS level you could try looking at Sociology. It's not as hard going, and is often chosen by people doing the same subjects as you.

Remember, your parents aren't taking the exams so don't let them stop you from doing what you want.

Hope that helped.
  • Options
    My Dad was determined I should take maths at A-level because he thought it was necessary to do the basics of English and Maths at A-level but I brought it up on the last parents evening and thankfully my maths teacher explained what I had already told him - that you don't need it.

Personally, I've done economics, history and govt & politics. I enjoyed them all, economics is a bit hard at first with all the theory but after that it's quite enjoyable and it's a good complement to politics. I recommend history, I didn't think I'd like it at first GCSE really put me off but I always did well in the exams and didn't do as well as I thought I would in geography so I ended up doing history. I have to say history has been one of the best subjects I could have chosen, but if you're unsure research it beforehand - do you like the teachers and their styles of teaching? what course will you be doing? how is the scheme of work set out etc. Do some more research before making up your mind and in the end do the one you enjoy most because you'll have a pretty boring two years if you don't.
  • Options
    CHING CHING!

Just got the perfect solution...

Do Geography! It's wickid and you learn all great stuff like

Global warming dosent exsist~!
    The world is flat!
    Volcanos are more complicated than you really thought!

Its the best subject ever and really helps ya chill and look at life in a differant way....
    What are the consiquences (sp) of cheaper prices in supermarkets? All the little farmers in the little poor countries get fuked! ha ha GO ASDA! Roll bak time!!!!!!!!!!!

Rant over

Bopz
  • Options
    In my eyes both seem really boring subjects. However is there one particular subject out of them both which you enjoy and get better grades at? if so do that one or alternatively pick a new subject altogether
  • Options

You're the one that has to do the course, not your parents! Do the subjects that you wanna do :).

I'm starting AS levels in Spanish, Law, Psychology and Government & Politics in September. It'll definitely be a challenge but I'm looking forward to it.
  • Options
    don't take EdExcel. That board is tough.

I totally agree. I did six months of the EdExcel course and gave up because i just couldnt cope. (I suppose part of the reason i dropped it was because my teacher took the piss out of me but thats another story)
  • Options
    I did both Mathematics and History alongside Biology and English Literature. I would definitely recommend doing Mathematics, because it adds breadth to your subjects and you can rarely go wrong with adding at least one Science-based subject to your options. I found History so monotonously dull I dropped it after the first year - the course is usually very unlike GCSE (which I found interesting). You study far more politics.

Mathematics IS hard - but if you put in the necessary effort then you should do OK. I preferred it to History, without a doubt, but that's just my opinion.

The skills you would demonstrate in History are similar to those you would come across and develop in English Lit and Lang, and pretty much all of your other options. Mathematics would enhance the range of skills you will possess, and show an employer and University you had the ability to problem solve and cope with the demands of such a difficult subject.

In the end it's your decision - studying the one you enjoy most is as valid a reason as any. You're much more likely to put time into a subject you like to study and therefore you'd be more likely to succeed, as opposed to putting less time into a subject you disliked.
  • Options
    Aye, you may think maths is a bit pointless if you want to do something like English lit or languages at uni. But I did maths and now I do languages. I find it much easier than a lot of people to learn grammar rules and see stresses in words. Someone suggested it's because the maths has given me a logical, problem-solving mind. Maybe it's true!