Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Question on results day...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
If i do miss my grades by a small margin to get into my first or second choice uni, before i go through clearing, i should ring them to see if i can get a place there anyways, right?

So, my question is - do i ring the undergraduate admissions office - ie, the one for the whole uni,

OR

Do i ring the admissions tutor for my school of study?

*is a bit confuzzled by this ringing people malarky*
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Re: Question on results day...
    Originally posted by Sa-ra-ra-ra

Do i ring the admissions tutor for my school of study?

what i would do.

they can always give you the number you need.. :)
  • Options
    I'd try and get as specific as possible - you can get phone numbers for individual departments on most university websites so I'd have it written down so you can ring them straight away. Also I've heard rumours - not sure if they're true - that UCAS put whether or not you got into your uni on their website on the midnight of the 14th ie; before you get the official results which can at least put you ahead of the game a bit - if you got in your nerves will be settled and if you didn't you can get all the planning and that sorted before everyone else and can ring them at 9 on the dot when most people will only just be getting their results.
  • Options
    yeah, phone the specific department (tutor if possible) that you wish to study. They are the ones who are making the decision and are usually very helpful. They will try their hardest to get you in on the course you want, but it can take a while for them to make a decision. this can be quite frustrating, especially if your insurance (or other) place wants to know what you're doing.

anyway, good luck with the results - i bet you don't need any of this advice and get your grades anyway :)
  • Options
    I didn't get the grades I needed, so I phoned the main university switch board and asked to speak to the admissions tutor, who plainly and simply told me I was accepted anyway.

They get the results a few days before we do, so for a couple of days they already know if you're going there or not. I was really upset, thinking that they had sat there knowing I still had a place, lol!
  • Options
    UCAS don't normally publish the outcome of your applications until midday. Although, if you ring them when they open in the morning, they may tell you depending on how helpful the person in their call centre feels like being at the time.

Also, don't bank on getting on to the UCAS site on results day, it's stupidly busy, and took me literally dozens of tries to get through. Also remember, that not all universities will have confirmed your place by this day. I got the grades for Durham, but they didn't confirm the place until the Tuesday after results. This is normal, apparently.

But basically, if you get the grades and they haven't confirmed the place, don't worry, they are contractually bound to take you (similarly, you are bound to take the place!).

As for who you phone on results day if you don't get the grades, definitely be as specific as possible, find out who makes the decisions and contact them directly.
  • Options
    Originally posted by elmo20uk
    I got the grades for Durham, but they didn't confirm the place until the Tuesday after results. This is normal, apparently.
    They confirmed for me on the day (even though I had to ring them to make sure because I missed the grades) - I got a phonecall later in the day from the secretary of the admissions tutor to confirm etc, apparently all those on my course did. :eek2:
  • Options
    Which college?
  • Options
    Which college?
    It wasn't the college who confirmed, it was the department. :)
  • Options
    just like...ring everywhere. Or somewhere, and hope for the best.
  • Options

Also, don't bank on getting on to the UCAS site on results day, it's stupidly busy, and took me literally dozens of tries to get through.

I remember the site and my mate was rigning the phone line it was stupid.

My uni sent me details saying good luck etc. the week before with a contact number so i just rang that. It was very busy too but keep trying and take your parents mobile (you don't want to waste you money) to the pub and keep ringing. If the lines ringing just hold on the line, they surely have to get pissed off and pick up eventually!
  • Options
    I can't get my results till 11am as my schools exam secretary can't be bothered to get out of bed early. Am i at a disadvantage to everyone who collects their results at 9am if i need to go through clearing?
  • Options
    Originally posted by 1andonly
    I can't get my results till 11am as my schools exam secretary can't be bothered to get out of bed early. Am i at a disadvantage to everyone who collects their results at 9am if i need to go through clearing?

Actually I am that person who's too lasy. I actually start work at 7.30 am that morning to make sure i can get them out for 11am!!!!

We get e-mailed the results the day before and the results arrive morning of 13th!

It's a nightmare job. They arrive in candidate order and you ahve to collate OCR with AQA and Ed-excel etc...... and we've got 2000 students. you have to take out the AS and A-level..... and the peopel who are away you ahve to envelope up.

After all that we then have to put them in envelopes with a letter from the principal, one about EMAs (you'll understand if your area gets them), one about seeing the advisor, seeing me, and what to do if they've well and truely F****D UP!

So we have to rush to get that done, set out the hall, get staff to control students,then spend about 1hr-1hr 30 mins giving out results, gettign cried at by students etc... and then we do the whole thign again for AS Level and by that time im KNAKKERED!!! and it's about 3 pm and i grab my first cuppa, some lunch (whilst random students come runnign tellign you grades) and thennnn the following days i have to sit in Student Services with my boss and listen to yet more crying!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

i only wish i could roll out of bed at 10.50am to give them out for 11am.
  • Options
    you could try both or get your school to point you in theright direction
  • Options
    Phone the relevant admissions tutor directly. You should be able to find the contact information on the university website. Otherwise, call the department and ask for the A.T.'s name and number.

If there is a problem with your results, contact the A.T. as soon as you can. Obviously, if you're in a state of shock and keep bursting into tears, then wait until you've calmed down. The important thing is that you make contact as soon as possible. The University knows that not everybody will get the exact grades that are required, and make allowances for this. As long as you let them know how important it is that you go, and express your willingness to study that course at that uni, then they will most likely accept you anyway.

Make sure that you keep hassling them until you get a definite answer. This is an important time and a time to be selfish. Kepp ringing them and ringing them, until you've lost your voice from talking so much :) . Even if they say no, at least you will know that you tried your hardest.

Don't worry about having to go to your second choice, like I had to. It's not a case of having to settle for second best. Remember, you're still going to go to university and you're still going to study the subject that you want.