Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Spot the difference

Legislation #1

Legislation #2

And then some get pissed off when comparisons are made...
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Well what a surprise that isnt.

But if anyone DARES to crticise Israel for being a facist, deeply deeply racist state then all hell breaks loose with accusations of anti-semitism. I dont think the Independent will be welcome in Israel for very long, though- the BBC filed a critical news report about Israel, and so now ALL BBC journalists are BANNED from Israel.

Israel are up there with North Korea and China in terms of flagrant fascist human rights abuses, yet because there is a dominant Israeli lobby in US politics it is all alright. Israel are worse than Iraq at human rights abuses, but theyre our "friends" so its all good and proper, obviously.

Lets see how anyone can justify these Israeli actions, and how they can counter any criticism of Israeli intentions to destroy Palestine, regardless of how many hoops are jumped through.
  • Options
    I am waiting for the day the Israeli government proposes a new way of identifying the Palestinians in their midst.

By making them wear a yellow star.
  • Options
    It'll probably be a half moon, but I agree with you.
  • Options
    somehow I don't see moving Israels and Palestinians that have seen through religious differences to respect each other and actually Marry, will help each side respect the other and start a peace process.
  • Options
    Is this a good moment to point out that Mr Abbas is refusing to meet with Sharon until Sharon releases more prisoners. Something which doesn't from part of the "Roadmap"...

Each side as bad...
  • Options
    The concentration camp wall that Sharon is building isnt part of the roadmap either MoK, are you suggesting then that it be allowed to continue?

Can't see much genuine desire for resolving the conflict ever having been demonstrated by Sharon, so one can hardly villify the Palestinians for pushing their case on the release of prisoners.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Clandestine
    The concentration camp wall that Sharon is building isnt part of the roadmap either MoK, are you suggesting then that it be allowed to continue?

Nope. Sometimes you can read as much into what I don't say or question as to what I do.
    Can't see much genuine desire for resolving the conflict ever having been demonstrated by Sharon, so one can hardly villify the Palestinians for pushing their case on the release of prisoners.

By pushing their case, you mean preventing progress on the Roadmap by using something unrelated.

Both sides need to work on this, if it is to work, not just Israel.
  • Options
    True both sides do need to work on this but frankly my friend, after the last several failures which (whilst blamed on the Palestinians) were actually due to the grasping expansionist demands of successive Israeli governments, coupled with the continued refusal to respect over 30 years of UN resolutions leaves me of the opinion that the Israelis need to go the extra mile to even begin to demonstrate a genuine will for peace far more than the Palestinians do.

Otherwise I suspect that we will arrive once again to a case of demand after demand for concessions from the Palestinians with no true benefit for them in the end.
  • Options
    As far as I know, the Palestinians have exceeded expectations so far by controlling militant groups, something even the Israelis have acknowledged as "good progress" (and when the Israelis concede something like that about the Palestinians, you know there has been lots of progress).

The Israelis on the other hand have withdrawn from 2 towns under siege. That leaves most others still occupied. And that's all they've done. No freeze on the building of new settlements- let alone plans to remove the existing ones, as per 17 trillion UN resolutions- and no plans to stop the building of the Apartheid Wall. You could forgive the Palestinians for thinking they're being a tad short-changed in the "goodwill gestures" department.

The release of prisoners is a welcome (if very late and insufficient) development. But let's not forget that there are 6,000 Palestinian prisoners in Israeli jails, and most of them are held indefinitely with no access to a lawyer and no prospect of trial. This is without doubt the forgotten issue of the Middle East conflict. The good old 'vibrant democracy' of Israel has 10 Guantanamo Bays in its hands. Most of the prisoners are not even guilty of anything- they are there on "preventive" arrests or any other such lame excuse the Israeli government regularly comes up with.

And even their tiny token gesture of releasing 540 prisoners has now been broken by Israel. I can't really blame the Palestinians for the break-down of negotiations. Can you?
  • Options
    What the israelis get up to really is disqusting, but then the other side arent that much better either.

Thats what I didnt like about the 'Anti-War' march in London was that so many people saw it as totaly Israels fault and that the Palistinians are a peace loving and totaly lovely people.
  • Options
    I dont recall anyone involved in the Peace marches ever claiming that Palestinians were "totally peace loving people". Totally oppressed and violated people is what they are and as such they have been forced to fight back in self defence against a military machine funded and supplied by the US which is monolithic by comparison.

Id truly like to see what the average Brit or American would do with foreign soldiers, tanks, helicopters and bulldozers blasting, sniping and levelling whole sections of their town or city on a near daily basis.

I suspect in their shoes, we'd be out there with bombs on our bodies as well. In the desperation that is bred of oppression there isnt much hope for a brighter future for those under the bootheel.
  • Options
    No of course, I understand that, and in their situation Im sure I would consider that type of action. I just didnt like the fact that many there conviently forgot the suicide bombers.
  • Options
    Given the fact that:

1. The Peace marches were in protest of the invasion of Iraq, not the Israeli/Palestinian conflict... and

2. Suicide bombers, however heinous the act, are as visible a demonstration as possible left to the Palestinians to emphasize the desperation of their situation in the face of an essentially unassaible military machine breathing down their necks constantly

I still contend that if Sharon truly cared about peace, he and his government would cease from the perpetual repression, injustices, and intractable military provocation that leaves no room for any other response from those on the receiving end.

Funny how when such acts are perpetrated by those our governments support (now or in the past), we call them "insurgents" or "freedom fighters", but the Palestinians get branded "terrorists".

Be interesting to see what Likhud would be advocating if the roles were reversed and it was Israel being walled in and bombarded constantly. I suspect Likhud would be the new "Hamas" or "Hezbollah" in such a situation.
  • Options
    those pictures ...what an amazing likeness to their two foot three austrian dwarf of a dark haired leader!

israel will reap what it sows ...these kind of people always do fortunately.
  • Options
    No-one forgot the suicide bombers, though that wasnt actually even a side-issue at the peace marches.

But its a matter of using the weapons you have to hand. Israel have F16 fighter jets and Apache helicopters. Palestine has semtex and willing volunteers. Its all a mess, both sides are horrifically violent to each other, but Palestinians are merciful compared to the Israeli soldiers.

But, at the end of the day, Israel *did* guilt-trip the British and the US into kicking Palestinians out of their country, albeit then under British occupancy, then saying that the Palestinians are wrong for wanting their land back. The balance of blame does swing towards Israel, no matter how you dress it up.
  • Options
    Were you at Hyde Park? There was LOADS about Palestine.
  • Options
    One of the groups marching was the Muslim Association of Great Britain (or something like that). They gave out loads of placards; on one side it read 'Don't Attack Iraq' and on the other side 'Freedom for Palestine'.

I did not see any anti-Israeli (let alone anti-Jewish) placards or slogans and all people were asking is that Palestine should be set free. A reasonable request methinks.
  • Options
    Look, I'm not disaggreeing with any of you about the need for a free Palestine, I'm just saying there are two sides to the story and I didnt like the way that some of the people on the march seemed to forget that.