Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

What Vitamins and Supplement Does Everyone Take Each Day?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I thought it would be interesting to see what people take each day, I take the following most days but I'm not exactly strict about remembering.

1) a MultiVitamin and Mineral Tablet
2) A Cod Liver Oil Capsule
3) A single Glusamin Tablet for helping to prevent Arthritis
4) A Garlic Tablet or the real thing!!
5) Zinc with Copper Tablets - Supposed to be good for skin

That's alot of things to take!! Real pain in the neck sometimes and as I said I'm not very strict on when or even if I take them. But I figure I'm better off taking them then not at all.

So what does everyone else take and how strict are yo to keeping to the same time each day?

Comments

• Options
    I have to take prescribed calcium & potassium supplements. Other than that, I should be taking a multivitamin daily. I usually don't bother - I take enough pills already & I hate the buggers.
  • Options
    I take:
    -Glucosamine Sulphate (high strength) in the hope that it might help my arthritis (not sure it is helping though, but keeping taking it in desperation!)
    -Cod Liver Oil (high strength), for the arthritis as well
    -A combined Vitamin C and Iron vitamin, meant to be good for preventing colds and just general well being! (and I haven't had a cold in aaaages!)
    I take them pretty regularly every morning, but sometimes if I'm away for just one or two nights I won't bother with them, cos they're quite bulky to carry around. I'm a bit sceptical about the good they're doing (apart from the Vit C), but if I didn't take them, I reckon I'd be thinking 'what if', so it's worth a try. ;)
  • Options
    Does anyone actually notice a difference?
  • Options
    My doctor prescribes me Iron and Vit C to prevent anemia, I used to be quite prone because I had very heavy periods, and after glandular fever, I became very lethargic. I'm quite strict when taking them, I keep them next to my pill pack so I remember to take them everyday
  • Options
    Taking a multivitamin and calcium tablets. Used to take garlic cos I suffered from dodgy circulation and have to say it did seem to make a difference! Stopped taking them and the problem is starting to return, so am thinking about restarting (just the dodgy breath i dont like!!!!)
  • Options
    When I remember I take a multivitamin - I tend to take them for about 4-5 days in a row, then forget for ages! So, no, not sure I do see a difference from them!

During winter when everyone around me has a cold, I start taking Echinacea to boost my immune system and try to prevent catching the cold, or to make it less severe when I inevitably get one! It also shortens a cold even if you only start taking it as soon as you catch one :)
  • Options
    I take a multivitamin + iron and 2 primrose oil (I think that's what they're called)
  • Options
    I take Multivitamins every day since I had a really bad headache and couldn't move one day. I kinda get headaches a lot but this one was really bad so mum got me some vitamins, that was about 3-4 months ago. I take them every day apart from the odd occasions when I forget.
  • Options
    When i had gallstones i started talking Multi-vitamins everyday as me old mother was concerned for my health as i wasnt and couldnt eat/ing.
    Since i've had my op though i've become lazy and dont take them as regularly as i should... suppose that kills the point... hmm
  • Options
    i used to take them until my doctor said there was really no point, and i'd be much better off just eating more healthily. plus overdosing on some vitamins, especially vitamin C, can be really bad for you.

i have IBS, and too much vitamin C aggravates my digestive system and, well, it ain't a pretty sight.

so i changed my diet around, eat proper food instead of junk, and am more healthy. plus i lost weight in the process, which probably isn't such a good thing for me, but hey.
  • Options
    Originally posted by VinylVicky
    Does anyone actually notice a difference?

That's always a tough question because you're taking vitamins and stuff like that to prevent a lot of things not just to improve certain things. So if they work then a lot of bad stuff that might have happened .. won't!!

I think I've noticed a difference after taking extra Zinc - it does seem to help to the skin to repair faster and with less scaring. For instance usually when I used to get a scab it was much darker then the rest of my skin and even after it healed there was a dark mark left - but I noticed after Zinc the color of the healing skin is much more similar to the normal skin tone.

Some interesting pics of a Zinc based product for really bad skin problems
    http://www.skin-zinc.net/index.html

I used to work with a woman that moved house and she had some kind of problem - can't remember what - but she figured out the problem was that when she moved house she forgot to take her vitamins for about 2 or 3 weeks as her whole routine had changed - she started taking her vitamins again and everything went back to normal.

I think general multivitamins and mineral tablets are pretty cheap these days and you'd be pretty unlikely to overdose on them - so I think it's better to be safe then sorry.

I think the real debate is HOW to take them - everyone seems ot have a different idea of what is th most effective way .. generally I hear it's always best to take them roughly at the same time as a major meal and one person has told me it's best to taken them in the morning or afternoon with breakfast or lunch rather then late at night.
  • Options
  • Options
    i mainly take one called maleforte from this company www.biocare.co.uk their product are some of the best on the uk market

I notice the difference

I also take some vit c and a probiotic sometimes - esp if stressed, busy or travelling