Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

DNA Testing at Birth

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Do you think it's a good idea to take a sample of a baby's blood at soon as they are born to keep it on a huge database for purposes such as criminal investigations and tissue matching.

So in a generation's time if a drop of blood or hair with the root attached is found at a crime scene the police will be able to tell who the suspect was straight away and help find a potential rapist or serial killer much faster then before and before they have the chance to harm someone else?

or

If you were in need of rare blood type - you'd be matched up with potenital millions of more people then ever before who would be suitable donors?

or

To help profile you so that doctors in the future can warn you if you might be likely to develop a certain type of cancer or other disease?

Comments

• Options
    I think it could be a good idea yes.
  • Options
    Sounds like a good idea, especially if it means cancers can be detected sooner and dealt with quicker.
  • Options
    no i dont like the idea of everyone being on a huge database, I prefer a bit of privacy.
  • Options
    i agree with rainbow brite.... i mean if they have your dna they could frame you for something if the info got into the wrong hands. its also an issue of privacy and i think people should choose to give their dna
  • Options
    i think it is a good idea and people would only think it is bad if they are guilty of summit
  • Options
    Originally posted by *DEVIL*
    i think it is a good idea and people would only think it is bad if they are guilty of summit

This is not true. Plenty of people believe that holding DNA is not a good thing. The current legal system assumes innocence. Therefore one should not have to offer DNA to show that they were not some place. This is effectively what holding DNA samples does. I'm not saying that I agree with this argument, but it is not only guilty people who think it is bad.
  • Options
    Re: DNA Testing at Birth
    Originally posted by DiamondGeezer
    Do you think it's a good idea to take a sample of a baby's blood at soon as they are born to keep it on a huge database for purposes such as criminal investigations and tissue matching.

This would worry me to be honest. How many times have there been mix up with results, mix up of peoples notes etc. what would happen if they got peoples DNA mixed up ?

Good idea I think, but in theory I dont think it would work.
  • Options
    Re: Re: DNA Testing at Birth
    Originally posted by BeckyBoo
    This would worry me to be honest. How many times have there been mix up with results, mix up of peoples notes etc. what would happen if they got peoples DNA mixed up ?

Good idea I think, but in theory I dont think it would work.

I'd think for example if it were a police investigation and you'd had you DNA collect 20 years ago when you were born you'd be retested when you name came up on the police computer. And in 20 years time the techniques will surely have only gotten better too.

They do DNA testing of whole comminites sometimes when there is a man hunt for a killer on the lose to rule out people.

I just saw this thing on TV about a guy that had the police scare him into confessing to a crime he did not commit - he then spent 10 years in prison until DNA evidence proved he was innocent.

My major worry would be companies like Bupa and insurance companies wanting to get their hands on the info so as not to give medical cover to people - but laws could be passed to prevent this from happening - but I reckon if you could spot medical problem earlier you'd save the governement a fortune and save many lives and lots of suffering too.
  • Options
    well ive not guilty of any crimes, and I think its a bad idea, so that blows that argument out of the water!
  • Options

Why do you think its a good idea?
  • Options
    I think it would be good for cancery...stuff, like if you know someone is more likely to get a certain type of cancer, then it means checkouts and tests can be done regularly to catch cancerous growths early and hopefully this would mean a lot more cancers could be cured. I think the same sort of principles could probably work for a lot of diseases.

I can see why the privacy issue is a problem though, and also how it would be easy to make mistakes. I'm not sure I agree with the crime solving side of it, but I think it could be beneficial to medicine.
  • Options
    I think it is a good idea, but like rainbow brite said it does kinda mean you have a lot less privacy.
  • Options
    i think it would be a good idea for dna test at birth, then if they turn out to be criminals and they cut them selves while entering your house to steal your shit then they will be easily tracked down and shot like a dog in the streets.:lol:

i am kind of angry as my house was brokin into and the car was stolen not to long ago along with my friends car aswell.:mad:
  • Options
    Originally posted by lazybstard
    i think it would be a good idea for dna test at birth, then if they turn out to be criminals and they cut them selves while entering your house to steal your shit then they will be easily tracked down and shot like a dog in the streets.:lol:

i am kind of angry as my house was brokin into and the car was stolen not to long ago along with my friends car aswell.:mad:

I think if there was a database of people's DNA code kept on record it would act as a deterant to stop young people turning to crime in the first place because they'd know it would be that much easier to be caught.

As long as the system was kept offline (i.e. not accessable to hacker over the internet) or available to insurance companies then I'd be fairly happy. I kind of see it like CCTV cameras - Britain has more CCTV cameras per head then any other country in the world .. they record your movements but generally I feel safer in highstreets that have them. I'm sure they do something to prevent crime and if crime happens then they help catch people who did it. (like in crime watch)
  • Options
    It sounds like a terrible idea!

As for the donnor aspect of this I don't believe having a large data base will help, unless all of the people in the data base have agreed to give up their kidney or blood! (which would be technically impossible if samles were taken at birth)

The idea to use it to profile you in order for doctors to predict possible disease is very likely to be missused by medical insurance companies, who will refuse to provide coverage to those people who could 'possibly' become ill.

I am an advocate of human rights, which includes the right to privacy. Innocent until proven guilty.

I hate cctv it does not make me feel safe, and I have been a victim of violent crime where there was cctv and it did not make a difference to the people who commited the crime, that for half the time they were being filmed! You over estimate the power of deterrents, you would think that the death penalty is enough to stop anyone from commiting murder, yes it would stop me and any other sane person. But people who commit violent crimes are not sane.

So why hand over your right to freedom and privacy for a system which is clearly flawed?
  • Options
    I just happened to come across this news item, seems there are already 2 Million samples of DNA on file in the UK !!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/3018504.stm
  • Options
    So 'criminals', who know damn well that their child is likely to grow up 'crooked' are gonna consent to their kids having this?
  • Options
    its theoritichally a good idea but tghe privacy issue is a significant one, i would be iffy about it myself but each to his own...
  • Options
    Originally posted by angelic girl
    I am an advocate of human rights, which includes the right to privacy. Innocent until proven guilty...

So why hand over your right to freedom and privacy for a system which is clearly flawed?

Go girl.

I agree wholeheartedly with this. Just as I oppose ID cards, I will oppose this DNA Database.

I am who I say I am, and I was where I say I was. Prove otherwise.

That it the main tenet of innocent until proven guilty.
  • Options
    I agree in principal, that DNA should be kept for the purposes of ruling somebody out, however DNA should NEVER be used as the sole peace of evidence, unless you left bodily fluids like semen or blood, e.g. rape cases.
    A single human hair can be blown for miles, skin is the same, finding a single hair is never proof.

I am also concerned that the medical aspect would get into the hands of the insurance companies, who I believe should only deny insurance on the basis of lifestyle and not those who are simply born with bad genes.

I believe DNA on file will help find treatments, and cures for varying diseases, it'll be easier to locate people with immunities to certain illnesses and to locate possible donors for blood and organs.
  • Options
    This shouldn't be allowed, in 20 years time we'll all have tracker bugs implanted into us and some government big shot will be monitoring our every move!
    OK maybe that is a bit far fetched, but it would be too much of an invasion of privacy.
    I'm also against ID cards, unless they're for Asylum seekers, so that immigration would know the difference between those real refugees and those that are illegal immigrants.
  • Options
    So has the recent story inthe news changed anyone's mind about DNA Testing?

The story about the bac drive that raped a girl 14 years ago and was recently caught when he was tested recently and had his sample matched on the national DNA database.
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    Anyone seen Gattaca?
  • Options
    Originally posted by DiamondGeezer
    So has the recent story inthe news changed anyone's mind about DNA Testing?

Nope.

CCTV, DNA Testing, Vehicle tracking... when will it stop?