Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Forcing people to eat healthily pt 2

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Sorry to start a new thread but the original subject matter seems to have gone out of the window on the other thread. Still its refreshing to see good old fashioned mud-slinging on all sides. :lol:

If the diets of working class children is so poor and devoid of nourishment, one solution could be for the states schools to provide good quality school lunches and free milk. It worked in the past.

Trying to control what the parents buy will not always work as corrupt shopkeepers will exchange even milk tokens for fags.

Comments

• Options
    Why would a shopkeeper exchange a voucher worth the cost of milk, to the cost cigarettes? Cigarettes are so much more expensive and dear.
  • Options
    Yeah, so, back to the original topic...which I now remember!

Do children still get free milk?

I know they've introduced free fruit, which is a really good idea. I think they should provide only healthy school dinners because children from low-income families get free dinners so obviously then they'd be getting one healthy meal five times a week. However they make a nice profit on chips, crisps and cakes, so I doubt they'd stop selling them.

Physical education in schools should be concentrated more on health and fitness too and encourage young people to respect their bodies.

I also think a campaign for healthy eating should be proposed. If you got David Beckham and the like advertising apples, carrots and oranges I'm sure that would have an effect on the younger generation's eating habits.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Jacqueline the Ripper
    Why would a shopkeeper exchange a voucher worth the cost of milk, to the cost cigarettes? Cigarettes are so much more expensive and dear.

Maybe he takes the equivalent vouchers to the value of the cigarettes. eg Milk voucher say worth 40p. Six vouchers = ten Lamberts ;)
  • Options
    Originally posted by ElysiumUnknown
    Yeah, so, back to the original topic...which I now remember!

Do children still get free milk?

I know they've introduced free fruit, which is a really good idea. I think they should provide only healthy school dinners because children from low-income families get free dinners so obviously then they'd be getting one healthy meal five times a week. However they make a nice profit on chips, crisps and cakes, so I doubt they'd stop selling them.

Physical education in schools should be concentrated more on health and fitness too and encourage young people to respect their bodies.

I also think a campaign for healthy eating should be proposed. If you got David Beckham and the like advertising apples, carrots and oranges I'm sure that would have an effect on the younger generation's eating habits.

Totally agree but I can imagine our politicians would be more interested in the profit margins, I'm still trying to work out how in a relatively well off country our schools can run out of money, while we spend millions on an empty dome in London. :eek2:
  • Options
    Originally posted by BlackArab
    Maybe he takes the equivalent vouchers to the value of the cigarettes. eg Milk voucher say worth 40p. Six vouchers = ten Lamberts ;)

True, but stopping a good initiative because of possible fraud is useless.
  • Options
    Milk tokens still exist in this country I'm not against them, I just think widening to include other foods will increase the amount of fraud. It better to use school meals to give nourishing lunches, milk, fruit etc