Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Lottery Funds

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
are being plowed into a free heroin scheme, hardcore addicts can come to a cublicle and use heroin that was bought with some of the lottery money raised..i think this is a good thing, the addiction isn't a problem when there is a fix there for them or is this a waste of the public's money?

I don't think it is, if the public want to get rid of this heroin problem that brings crime and violence along with it then give the addicts their fix through government supplied heroin thus keeping crime out of society and keeping the addicts happy.

Comments

• Options
    Tricky one, it's another case of damned if you do and damned if you don't. If this goes ahead then wouldn't it encourage more people to do it? If it's free.

Stealing and mugging isn't completely due to addiction tho, it could just be destructive behaviour. It's not like these people can get an office job is it? They'd probably still smash things up for something to do.
  • Options
    this scheme is for hardcore addicts only though...not just anyone can walk in and take a quick fix for free, what would society turn into then :rolleyes:

People get money all different ways for the heroin, if they weren't on heroin they wouldn't be going around robbing and wrecking, well most people wouldn't, maybe some still might be.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Shogun
    this scheme is for hardcore addicts only though...not just anyone can walk in and take a quick fix for free, what would society turn into then :rolleyes:

Aha, apologies. Tis very late :)

I don't know though, I'd have to see the effects for myself. It's not something to easily hypothosise over :chin:
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kurt
    Aha, apologies. Tis very late :)

I don't know though, I'd have to see the effects for myself. It's not something to easily hypothosise over :chin:

yea i know, the effects would have to be seen, the whole thing could be good or the whole thing could go up in smoke.
  • Options
    would it not be better to put the money into getting them off the heroine? :confused:
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kurt

It's not like these people can get an office job is it? They'd probably still smash things up for something to do.
    most heroin addicts i knew and some i still no have always held down decent jobs. the proffesion with the highest amount of heroin addicts is the medical proffesion. mostly family GP's.
    there are many people in the media who are addicts ...mostly journalists. addicts are from all walks of life. you seem to have a SUN/ daily mail view of addicts which is totaly wrong. addicts from rough families and areas are not the majority.
    if you ever get the chance to visit a rehab centre, any rehab centre you will have your eyes truly opened!
    did you know that heroin addiction that has lasted years and years has absolutely NO ...lasting physical or mental effects?
    no toxicity on the liver or kidneys. i was a heroin addict for many years. there is no way physicaly mentaly or medicaly you can tell.
    at the begining of the 20th century heroin was legal as was opium. it is reckoned that most of the british admiralty were addicted to one or the other or both. at least 25% of MP's were addicts. queen victoria was a very heavy opium and cannabis user. it wasn't against the law so it wasn't anything to hide or be ashamed of.
    britains two most famous heroin addicts that come to mind are ...
    Will Self ...used to be margerate hatchits chief press officer now a top media man and openly speaks of his addiction and the pleasure it brings him. the other being Kieth Richards of the rolling stones, again very open about it. the guy is always very confident and happy in interviews. at sixty odd he is still touring the world and rocking.
  • Options
    Ok Roll, granted but we're talking about the people who generally can't afford for their fix so get the money through illegal means.

And I wouldn't touch the Sun with a barge pole :p