Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

smoking

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
i quit smoking a few months ago. i just up and quit, i had done it before, and there was no problem. i didn't feel anything. but now, i'm getting total cravings for it and like jittery when i get the cravings too. it has never happened till about a week or so. is that normal? and any ideas onhow to get over it?

Comments

• Options
    Re: smoking
    Originally posted by my_name
    i quit smoking a few months ago. i just up and quit, i had done it before, and there was no problem. i didn't feel anything. but now, i'm getting total cravings for it and like jittery when i get the cravings too. it has never happened till about a week or so. is that normal? and any ideas onhow to get over it?

Has happened to me, you jsut have to keep telling yourslef that it will passs soon enough & that you arent goning back as you have come a long way :).
    Good luck.
  • Options
    Just stick it out...try not to think about it as much, do other things, go places, go for walks, preferably with non smokers for the first while anyway.

good luck :)
  • Options
    Drink water to flush the toxins out of your body

Snack on raw vegetables to satisfy the oral anxieties suppressed by smoking.

Avoid caffeine-based beverages which mayb increase your appetite

Try sucking on sugar-free lollipops if you need something in your mouth.

there is truth to the legend that smokers gain weight when they uit. A smoker burns more calories than a non-smoker because the consumption of nicotine uses enegery. I dont know if your worried about weight gain. . . but if you are, try the things i suggested.
  • Options
    please dont even think of lighting up because before you know it you will be back on the fags again.
    When you pack in smoking that urge to have a smoke can come back at any time, especially in certain circumstances. Like myself I packed in smoking and quit for a few years, stupidly whilst having had too much to drink thought * I want a fag* stupid move for me, because I was back on the fags and once again a smoker.

Do all you can to not take that drag of the cigarette, eat, play with you fingers infact do anything just dont light up, honestly im talking from experience and once you light up after this length of time your gonna be a smoker again. Even though when you have a drag of the cigarette it will probably taste horrible but the urge to keep smoking just takes over.

I hope you can resist the temptation.........and good on ya for packing in as well :thumb: