Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

fertility for all

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/3094209.stm

Is it a good thing for all people to be given the ability to have children? Are we not in danger of seeing 65 year olds having kids?

Comments

• Options
    65 is too old to have children.

Personally I think that if a person cannot have children they should just take it.

Is having children really a right? I don't know. I also think new parents should get lessons in parenting.
  • Options
    There's too many people already...
    Besides, I've met the next generation and I don't like 'em.
    (My little sister's friends.):naughty:
  • Options
    Your sister would be in your generation pnj. The next would be your own kids (god forbid).
  • Options
    Originally posted by monocrat
    65 is too old to have children.

Personally I think that if a person cannot have children they should just take it.

Is having children really a right? I don't know. I also think new parents should get lessons in parenting.

It's a privilege. And I used to agree with you that if a person cannot have children they should just take it. But think about it deeper, who are we to say that? I've never been in the position of not being able to conceive (not that I've got up the duff) I have no idea how these people must feel. Imagine wanting a child more than anything in the world, and not being able to?

In my opinion, I think as long as people are under 50, over 16, fit, healthy and mature enough for the responsibility, they should be given the choice of having children. It's not normal for me to go against nature, but I have no idea how these couples feel. It must be a living hell.
  • Options
    If a 65 year old wants to have a baby, let them. But they should really think about the repercussions of what could happen to the baby physically, and mentally.
  • Options
    It must be horrible to want to have children and not to be able to. So anything that helps have kids is great. Of course knowing me could change that outlook.:lol:

Sorry, thought it was getting a little too heavy.
  • Options
    Originally posted by HunnyPot
    It's a privilege. And I used to agree with you that if a person cannot have children they should just take it. But think about it deeper, who are we to say that? I've never been in the position of not being able to conceive (not that I've got up the duff) I have no idea how these people must feel. Imagine wanting a child more than anything in the world, and not being able to?

So then if it's a priviledge in your view, how can a person complain if they cannot have children?
  • Options
    So then if it's a priviledge in your view, how can a person complain if they cannot have children?

Because it's a great privilege. A person can complain because it just hurts so much not to be able to have their own child. People who have children are lucky, but that doesn't necessarily mean infertile couples should have to grin and bear it. If they are loving, mature, sound of minded people, who are we to tell them they should tolerate not having children? Also, what if you are an only child and it would make your parents feel their life is complete as well as yours, and you can't conceive?
  • Options
    They should grin and bear it and accept what life has dealt them.
  • Options
    They should grin and bear it and accept what life has dealt them.

Until fairly recently I had the same view. But then think about it, you've never been in that position. What if you were, and you wanted a child to complete your life.
  • Options
    Originally posted by HunnyPot
    Until fairly recently I had the same view. But then think about it, you've never been in that position. What if you were, and you wanted a child to complete your life.

I agree with that...

But then again I think it's unfair that so many children are born to unable parents and are either left as orphans or abused and neglected. I think couples who are unable to naturally conceive should seriously consider adoption, but if they truly are determined and if the science is available, they will do it.

Life is unfair and people who would be the best parents are often unable to conceive, if they can by such means, then I don't see why not.

As for older people having children I do think that is selfish. At 65 you may still feel young enough to have children, but you'll be growing frail as they grow up. The health implications are too worrying. You've had your life to have children. The point of having children is to have a life together with them.