Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Not going to plan

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
With the US death rate up to 237 since this conflict started, it looks to be that the 'war' isn't going to as plan as they wanted it too with the deaths passing the number of deaths from the first Gulf war, is this going to turn into another Vietnam but to a lesser extent?only time will tell....shouldn't be invading Iraq anyway.

Comments

• Options
    Within the US, even Clinton said it was good we went to war with Iraq because it was the kind of country Al Qaeda operated in. And Saddam would give secrets/chemicals/etc. to Al Qaeda or anyone else. Clinton also said people should just forget about the uranium remark...because Presidents have to go on so much information and give so many speeches slip ups are bound to happen.

So right now people feel good about the war. But the time when Bush can stick an American flag behind himself and speak only about Al Qaeda's threat is over. In our Civil war, over 32000 men died in a single day in Virginia, over 62,000 in three months! So many people have died for America.

We can't just let people come in and murder us...or take stuff from a regieme who celebrated the attacks along with many Palestinians. They were jumping up and down and laughing. That I saw for myself on t.v. If nothing else, the Iraqi war lit a fire under Saudi Arabia and others to crack down on terrorism and end the Whabbi clerics rants against the US and the West each Friday.

There's a wierd story or election movements taking shape that is scarier than the war to me. The Governor of California, a state in area as big as Sweden, is being recalled. He does seem to be a screw up...but, the recall efforts were funded by a Republican millionaire. A Republican Governor might be key to helping Bush win that state. Also, a conservative republican group is funding a lawsuit by one of Clinton's affairs that could also be against Mrs Clinton, a powerful senator from New York State...another important state for Bush. Together, it's difficult not to start seeing conspiracy theories regarding the run for the President next year.
  • Options
    :rolleyes:

I give up! Al, you deal with him if you wish. I guess some people refuse to learn to see beyond what they see on tv.
  • Options
    Given that you never know who you're dealing with when replying to the pnj franchise I sometimes wonder why do we bother Clan...

Sometimes I tell myself we should carry on regardless, if only because one day an innocent young soul might read such comments, see that they are uncontested, and believe they are true. So, once again, here we go...
    Within the US, even Clinton said it was good we went to war with Iraq because it was the kind of country Al Qaeda operated in. And Saddam would give secrets/chemicals/etc.
    That anybody at all believes such incredible bollocks gives great cause for concern.

Could this be the same pnj who only earlier posted a thread about the merits of questioning everything? :rolleyes:
    In our Civil war, over 32000 men died in a single day in Virginia, over 62,000 in three months! So many people have died for America.
    Care to compare those figures against those who have died because of America? Don't even need to go that far, the last 30 years or so will do.
    [Clue- Vietnam alone was a six-figure number, bordering on seven]
    We can't just let people come in and murder us...or take stuff from a regieme who celebrated the attacks along with many Palestinians. They were jumping up and down and laughing. That I saw for myself on t.v. If nothing else, the Iraqi war lit a fire under Saudi Arabia and others to crack down on terrorism and end the Whabbi clerics rants against the US and the West each Friday.
    Where to start on this? Should we start by pointing out that no matter how many millions of fucking times he says it, Al Qaida/911 and Iraq have FUCK ALL to do with each other? Or should we start by discussing the validity of invading a sovereign nation and killing tens of thousands of people because a few hundred rejoiced in America's suffering? Or should be mention first the delusion the boy seems to live in about Saudi or other countries doing something about Al Qaida because they are afraid of the all-powerful monkey that sits in the White House? :lol: :rolleyes:

Just a final note to whoever is posting today under the pnj franchise. Would you please kindly refrain from continuously derailing threads with your usual Saddam/ Al Qaida/ Muslim perverts bullshit and actually try to concentrate on the subject that is being discussed?

Sorry about that Shogun.

I agree that the war is not over and it is certainly not going according to plan. It's too early to speak of another Vietnam- in terms of numbers at least- but with more US soldiers being sent and told they face at least a year in Iraq, and the continuing guerrilla attacks on US forces, the conflict is definitively turning ugly for the Americans. Maybe they will call for UN help after all. If that were to happen perhaps it would be fitting if the French called them 'hamburger-eating surrender monkeys'.
  • Options
    Re: Not going to plan
    Originally posted by Shogun
    With the US death rate up to 237 since this conflict started, it looks to be that the 'war' isn't going to as plan as they wanted it too with the deaths passing the number of deaths from the first Gulf war, is this going to turn into another Vietnam but to a lesser extent?only time will tell....shouldn't be invading Iraq anyway.

Yes, but note that most of these deaths have occured after the war offically ended.
  • Options
    Which goes to demonstrate not only a profound misconception amongst the neo-con fascists over the supposed joy with which Iraqis would greet their invaders, conquerers and occupyers, but moreover the profound hubris and bravado of the Bush admin at thinking their declaration of victory would be the end of the conflict.

They are frankly so drunk on power and corporate greed that they have missed the boat in comprehending that the majority of the planet does not share their spin on things.
  • Options
    Things are improving in Iraq , you have to give it time , rebuilding a country after 30 odd years of tyranny takes longer than a few months.
  • Options
    You seem to forget Mat that it wasnt the tyranny which destroyed that country in the first place, it was our Western bombs, invasions and sanctions that reduced a once thriving gem amongst societies in the region (and one which Washington was all too happy to finance and arm to do our dirty work) to rubble.

The great cry of the warmongering Bush admin was that "time had run out", well now time has run out on Bush and his all too clearly seen imperialist conquest. Liberation and reconstruction my ****!

If we arent there to control the oil (as the warmongers love to insist) then we have no reason not to pull out and protect our men and women from further danger.

The Iraqis are fully capable of sorting out their own governance according their own self determinant will, not that of the Bush admin and its Dearborn Michigan puppets.
  • Options
    Re: Re: Not going to plan
    Originally posted by monocrat
    Yes, but note that most of these deaths have occured after the war offically ended.

No -
    Americans hope that will prompt more of them to cooperate with U.S. troops and undermine daily guerrilla attacks that they blame on die-hard Saddam loyalists. Attacks have killed 44 soldiers since Washington declared major combat over on May 1.

Source -
    Reuters