Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

sun tan

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
i dont really know if this is the right place to post this but i was just wondering...
i cant get a sun tan:(. im pale as a ghost to the point i look ill and no matter how long i get out in the sun for i've never once had a tan. (this includes over a month in italy and then over a month in the usa a few summers ago).

the question im asking is; is anyone else like this? if so or if you know of any, are there failsafe ways to get a tan? (im not gonna use a tube of stuff that turns you orange, lol).
can you get a prescription for non-dangerous melanin pills or something?

cheers for any help i get

Comments

• Options
    not all self tan turns you orange

just dont buy the cheap ones or get it done at a salon would give you even better results
    dont take melanin either-theres no such thing as melanin without side effects

being pale is not the end of the world, deal with it
  • Options
    ahh i dunno, never heard of that before, did you sit outside in good sun for hours and hours and still remain completly pale? if so fuck i dont know, deal with the pale way of life then.
  • Options
    your lucky! i hate getting tanned! its so un healthy, i want to be pale, but then again im a "goth" type thing so i would.
  • Options
    i dont tan either, its not the end of the world. tanned skin is damaged skin anyway. it really isnt the end of the world, just be glad that your healthy! :)
  • Options
    Originally posted by BritJames
    go get an all over body spray - they cost about 40 quid and last about 3 weeks hehe

;)

just be prepared to strip to ya undies and get sprayed (tis gentle)

That sounds like the voice of experience :lol:
  • Options
    I am pale too. Not just pale - but white ghostly pale. I have a few freckles on my cheeks and rosy cheeks too, so I'm not completely pallid.

Don't worry - pale is cool.

I used to get really upset about being pale when I was younger - people used to tease me and call me casper - so one year when we went on holiday to Spain I tried to get a tan. 5 hours on a beach and no re-application of sun cream left me very, very badly burnt on my legs. I'll be lucky if I don't get skin cancer.

Now I've realised it's ok to be a bit different because as long as you're protecting your skin and staying healthy it doesn't matter what shade your skin is.

Seriously people who sunbathe or use sunbeds are simply cooking themselves like chicken - not only are they destroying their skin, risking skin cancer but they will end up with skin like nasty cheap leather. Not nice. I don't mind people who sunbathe using sensible factors at 15 or above, but it's when people get the factor 5 oil spray out and bake themselves I feel like saying "umm....skin cancer?!?".

Ok so you may feel uncomfortable at times and get strange looks - I know I do. Just been on holiday in Greece for two weeks with my friends and I got many weird looks when I wore a bikini and people kept asking me where my tan was "Oh doh I left it in the bottle!".

And if one of my friends stood next to me one more time and said "ooooh I am soooooooooooooo tanned" I would have exploded.

But being pale is good because:
    1) You wear higher factor suncream thus protecting your skin.
    2) So you don't get disgusting peeling damaged skin
    3) No tan-lines. :yes:
    4) You look different from the vast array of orange.
    5) You slightly resemble Nicole Kidman....sometimes.
    6) Baby soft skin for life.
    7) You don't have to worship the sun and risk sun-stroke.
    8) You complete the diversity of the shades of human skin colour, because the world would be very boring if everyone was orange.

Just accept and respect your skin colour, I know it's hard in the summer, but please don't do anything silly because you feel the need to be tanned. Look after your body.

Respect to paleness. :D
  • Options
  • Options
    Originally posted by girl with sharp teeth
    elysiumunknown, i was going to type almost exactly what you have already so eloquently and succintly written.

people are risking their health and doing untold damage to themselves just so they look more fashionable (but hey, hasn't that always been the case...) - i have never had a tan in my life and am constantly being told how unhealthy i look when i'm on holiday. i will be reminding all those people what they said when they have skin cancer.

Thank-you. Hmm it wasn't that succinct, but I'm unable to speak with brevity when speaking about pale skin. It really gets me riled sometimes. I'm exactly the same - there's no way I'd ever risk it again. I didn't burn this holiday, I wore factor 35 all the time and covered up. I don't care if I look like a freak, I do not want skin cancer.

I had to try and explain to one of my friends that peeling skin is damaged skin and it is peeling off because it is dead due to too much sun exposure. Apparently it's not damaged, the skin just goes that way for some unrelated reason. :rolleyes:

It's highly ironic that people are vainly striving for a tan are simply setting themselves up for horrible skin when they are older...suppose they can just buy the skin firming ultra-hydrating "look 50 years younger" lotion potion.

They need to put out more warnings about skin cancer. People are becoming careless and going to dangerous lengths just to get a tan. On holiday there was one girl who was burnt around her shoulders and chest, but she was still out in midday sun cooking herself! Why?!?

But it's fashionable and attractive *sighs* and image becomes before health now.

Britjames - I am girl...but actually most girls I know really dislike very tanned men. Maybe it's sociobiological - paler men have healthier skin and so more chance of living longer....lol or maybe they just look cute instead of vain. :)
  • Options
    Britjames you shouldn't be burning! Wear higher factor, you'll still tan, but you just won't damage your skin. Please?

If I had my way there would be no factors lower than 15.

Meh, it's advertising that leads people to believe they look better tanned, thinner, with more make-up, in such and such clothes....
  • Options
    :D cheers for all your help and advice

i just hope that article in that paper was right lol.

cheers again:cool: