Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

telling mum - how?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
right - ok, well i have a bf who is 28, i'm 18 and we've been seeing each other for about 2 months, it's been serious for about 3/4 weeks or so.

he's my first ever bf, i didnt tell mum at the time because we met on the internet and with that and the age difference, i dont think she'd have been keen. now though i feel guilty, and i want to tell her. but how do i do this without making me look stupid, or hurting her feelings for not telling her sooner?

i've never had a love life to discuss with my mum before so i'm a bit :confused: about how to approach her. we are sorta close and everything, but usually the only times i talk to her about stuff is when i'm down, and this time it's happy.

*edit to say :duh: wrong forum. but i haven't slept since saturday night so please forgive me.

Comments

• Options
    You 18 so your an adult and your big enough to make you own mistakes... Just tell her you've been seeing some one who's a few years older than you and when she asks how much older tell her?
  • Options
    Yeah you're all legal but it can be hard depending on the type of relationship you have with your mum - do you have a dad as well to tell?

I'm pretty sure my sister at one point had a boyfriend for several months but we never met him or had her introduce him to our parents I have no idea why - maybe he was married or something who knows or maybe my sister just couldn't tell our parents.

I bet the meeting on the internet part is what worries you as well as the age thing .. couldn't you just lie and say something that's easier for her to undnerstand .. like we met at an evening class or something .. how you met isn't really that important.. I'm sure the thought of her baby meeting a stranger on the net would be scarey toher, but if she thought you two had met through some sort of group activitiy it might makes things easier on her
  • Options
    Just try to explain to her that being with him makes you happy (if it does), and that his age doesn't bother you and it shouldn't bother her (if it doesn't). And that as an adult, it's ultimately your choice and she should support you in it.
  • Options
    Just explain that you are an adult and that you can now make the decisions in your life regarding decisions like this, as a parent she will probably be concerned for you and might try to advise you on a different path but you do what you feel is right.
  • Options
    Originally posted by DiamondGeezer

I bet the meeting on the internet part is what worries you as well as the age thing ..
    i have been surprided about the mixed reaction people give me when i tell them i met my current girlfriend (can i use that term yet? lol) online.. some people where a little shocked about it and didnt think people would attually do that sort of thing, other people including her parents where totally cool about it and didnt mind...

just depends on the person i suppose...
  • Options
    Erm.... not quite sure what this has got to do with your mum??
  • Options
    i want to tell her is all. :) after all the poor woman did bring me up, and still houses, clothes and feeds me.
  • Options
    just tell her then, her reaction might be different than you expect once she sees you are serious.
  • Options
    hey erm just some naive advice. since this is your first boyfriend i'd go slow with him. he's 28 so... he probably oesnt still do all the stuff you do at the start of the first relationship - you only get that once in life. but go slow. then if your mum knows your being sensible and not pushed into things shell respect you more for it :)