Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

partners parents

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
out of interest, does anyone have problems with their partners mother /father?

Comments

• Options
    no his parents like me but his brother has normally got something to say, just the kind of person he is. and even if his mum and dad didn't like me it wouldnt really make much difference but it is nice to know that u have been accepted by them. xx

:heart: lisa :wave:
  • Options
    Originally posted by its-playtime
    it is nice to know that u have been accepted by them. xx

:heart: lisa :wave: [/B]

yeah that is true! i dunno i just dunno!
  • Options
    I never got on with my first girlfriend's mum. She was OK if there was no alternative other than being with me (when she'd dropped my girlfriend off at Bedford and was giving me a lift home), but other than that, she always gave me the impression that she really didn't like me.

It upset me slightly. I know that I was dating my girlfriend, not her mum, but it still would have been nice to not be shuned like that. We lasted for a year, and her mum never warmed towards me. I wonder what it would have been like if we married?
  • Options
    Generally my girlfriend's parents tend to take to me straight away and I get on well with them, I've never had any problems with any.

In fact I get on incredibly well with my current girlfriend's parents...even take the piss out of her mum for thinking that the word 'penguin' is spelt 'penquin' :)
  • Options
    we get on well now, but back in the day mr. junkie's mum used to think i was too shy, and that i didn't like her.

i did like her, i was just shy. now we chat happily away, usually about him, which he hates. :)
  • Options
    I'm single now, but neither of my last two boyfriend's mothers have liked me!

The first boyfriend was quite well off - not his family, just him, through his work and own business. His mother always seemed to like me on the surface, but the minute me and him had an argument, she'd accuse me of only being with him for his money (which wasn't true). Funny thing was, me and her used to rub each other up the wrong way whenever she asked him for money, to pay her bills and own debts - used to bug the hell outta me (even though I know it was none of my business), especially when she accused me of only being with him for his money!

Then the second one went to grammar school (as did his mum, dad, and sister) and I didn't. Therefore, I wasn't good enough for him, in his mother's eyes. Also, I didn't want to go to uni and he did, so that went against me too. I got the feeling I was getting dirty looks from his mum and she used to ask questions about what I was going to do with my future - knowing full well I didn't know myself! I just tended to stay away from his house when she was going to be in after that... Still get dirty looks off her in the street whenever I see her tho! :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Nope not at all.I kinda knew her mum but i never met her step dad before before last nite but they love me, and i love them too.I love em even more because they were buying drinks for me alnite!:D
  • Options
    HMMMM...Apparently my boyfriends mother does like me and I have nothing against her except her need to be in our lives. My boyfriend has always been really independent but his mum wants him to do more family things, even more so since we moved nearer to them. I think in her ideal world she would love it if we or just one of us (even me) popped up to see her every now and again but I don't really see my own mum that much and I don't have a need to be part of their family!

So now she has started dropping by unannounced (Not that often) and I can cope with that apart from the formality of it all. Even though its my home, as soon as she steps through the door I stop being myself.

A couple of weeks ago she dropped by with my boyfriends three year old nephew and I had to endure three hours of polite chit chat. Then her grandchild started wandering off and she followed. Next thing I heard the sound of my bedroom door opening and then a while later closing!!!!! she had taken the opportunity to have a look in my bedroom (And god knows where else!!) and It really annoyed me.

I MEAN....What reason would she have, or right, to go and look in her (36 year old) sons bedroom - the place that is most private!

I think one thing that worries me is that she is really house-proud whereas I am the kind of person who leaves things where I drop them so our bedroom is littered with clothes and magazines and general crap! So I feel like she's checking up on me and probably disapproves of the way I keep my house! After all this is the woman who ran her finger over our mantlepiece and commented on the dust!
  • Options
    i didnt like my ex boyfs mum. she split with her husband when my boyf was a little boy and was takin anti-depressants. but she was so scary! she's quite fat and very er.. loud mouthed and strong. cant explain..she was just scary, espec to me bein little n skinny. at first she didnt like me because she found me in his bed b4 i'd even met her lol. i was 18 (just) and him 25 so she assumed i was some little slut. she even openly said to me that she didnt think it was right that i should be sleeping with a man at my age!! but then she warmed to me when she realised im a nice educated girl. cept i still found her scary and hated going round just incase i got stuck in the kitchen with her and had to have a conversation

after i split up with my boyf i was quite relieved i wouldnt have to see her again! and like someone said earlier, its not like you are going out with the mum but you still like to be accepted
  • Options
    I dont think my boyfriends dad likes me. im slightly scared of him. :( his mums great though :)
  • Options
    Well I get on fine with my boyfriends Mum but his Dad is an alcoholic so it's kinda hard to get on with him. I can't help but detest him because he is just so selfish and doesn't understand what hell he puts his family through and how much he's ruined my boyfriends life. Never mind, rant over :(