Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Another Quitting Smoking Thread...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
My dad has offered me £100 to quit smoking. 25 quid every two weeks then 50 quid after 6 weeks...

so im going to do it, i need a new cpu so this money will get me started. I need major quitting tips, ive heard some before but just to refresh my memory....

:)

Comments

• Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    got no tips but good luck :)
  • Options
    hehe thats a good idea maybe i'll take up smoking then get paid to give it up nice one
  • Options
    Apparently, chewing gum is good - it's the kind of thing you can do instead of having a cigarette, whenever you feel like smoking. Because a lot of it is just about habit, right? So if you change it to gum, it'll help.

I say apparently because I've never smoked, but I know people who do and people who've given up.

Also, if you post in the Health forum you'll probably get a few more well-informed replies :D
  • Options
    i threw my last 2 rollups onto my conservatory roof and snapped them and have taken the flints out of all my disposable lighters and clippers and put my electric lighters in places i cant get them.

cheers everyone :)
  • Options
    Originally posted by Gavman
    hehe thats a good idea maybe i'll take up smoking then get paid to give it up nice one

itll cost more than 100 quid... :p
  • Options
    Without wishing to sound defeatist - if the money from your parents is your only incentive, what's to stop you starting again after the 6 weeks?
  • Options
    I found drinking shit loads of fresh orange helped
    (and the nicotine patches, hehe. :p )
  • Options
    Originally posted by Smash
    Without wishing to sound defeatist - if the money from your parents is your only incentive, what's to stop you starting again after the 6 weeks?

The fact that im saving the money to get a new computer, till around september or so. It can be taken off me till then though if you get me...

And ive got the willpower, i just keep getting sudden urges to light up.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Podgepig
    I found drinking shit loads of fresh orange helped
    (and the nicotine patches, hehe. :p )

I wanna get a nicorette inhilator, but you have to be 18 to get them i think :(
  • Options
    Originally posted by duffy_2k
    I wanna get a nicorette inhilator, but you have to be 18 to get them i think :(

The thing with the inhalor efforts, is that it helps with the physical cravings, but still reinforces the psychological hand to mouth, tube sucking thang.

Best things I found were the 24hr patches. The Nicquitin ones were great. But the crazy assed side effects from the Nicotinell ones just smelled of wee. MAJOR insomnia, crazy fucked up dreams when you did get to sleep (they were quite good though!), sweating buckets all night and crappy irritated skin rash thing where the patch was.

Everyone reacts to different ones in different ways. The only way to find the right thing for you, is to try it.

Other hints, hmmm... stay clear of beer (aarrrrggh), always tend to smoke more (or "forget" that you've quit) when pissed. keep away from fellow smokers for a while until you are ready.
    Be prepared to feel a bit shitty & depressed for a while (nicotine withdrawal causes this & it is a big contributor to saying "sod it" & sparking up a cig.)

drink plenty of water or fresh orange, eat more fresh fruit/veg.
    take up a sport or exercise related hobby thing, that tends to be a great help when quitting. but at the end of the day, all these things help, but the main fight has to be done with willpower.

glances up at reams of text Bloody hell, I sound like a sodding whingy arsed doctor! :p
  • Options
    Changing your av and your status ( the thing above your av). If you are trying to quit, you don't want to be reminded of the pros of doing it.
  • Options
    I think a good place to start would be to phone your GPs surgery and ask if the practice nurse does smoking cessation clinics. How old are you? If you are young enough to get things on prescription then you may actually get given patches etc free on the NHS. You don't know unless you try! She will also monitor you and make you feel really small and crap if you give in, because you have appointments and targets to meet. She will also monitor your health and she will be able to show you physically the improvements to your health.

Good luck. How are you going to smoke dope now though... without tobacco? :eek2:
  • Options
    yeah, I got my patches on prescription.
    They cost me about £6.30 for a months worth! Damn sight cheaper than ciggies!
  • Options
    Originally posted by Podgepig
    The thing with the inhalor efforts, is that it helps with the physical cravings, but still reinforces the psychological hand to mouth, tube sucking thang.

Best things I found were the 24hr patches. The Nicquitin ones were great. But the crazy assed side effects from the Nicotinell ones just smelled of wee. MAJOR insomnia, crazy fucked up dreams when you did get to sleep (they were quite good though!), sweating buckets all night and crappy irritated skin rash thing where the patch was.

Everyone reacts to different ones in different ways. The only way to find the right thing for you, is to try it.

Other hints, hmmm... stay clear of beer (aarrrrggh), always tend to smoke more (or "forget" that you've quit) when pissed. keep away from fellow smokers for a while until you are ready.
    Be prepared to feel a bit shitty & depressed for a while (nicotine withdrawal causes this & it is a big contributor to saying "sod it" & sparking up a cig.)

drink plenty of water or fresh orange, eat more fresh fruit/veg.
    take up a sport or exercise related hobby thing, that tends to be a great help when quitting. but at the end of the day, all these things help, but the main fight has to be done with willpower.

glances up at reams of text Bloody hell, I sound like a sodding whingy arsed doctor! :p

Thanks so much for that, just reading it took up a load of time i would have otherwise been smoking in! lol. Thanks a lot, some good ideas there. Staying off beer is going to be hard though... and i thought you could only get the patches at 18?
    Duffy
  • Options
    Thanks so much for that, just reading it took up a load of time i would have otherwise been smoking in! lol. Thanks a lot, some good ideas there. Staying off beer is going to be hard though... and i thought you could only get the patches at 18?
    Duffy

Dunno. Best bet would be to ask your GP. Maybe he can wangle it so you can get some. Otherwise you could always get your parents to get you them from the chemist. Unfortunately, without a prescription the bloody things cost about £17.50 for a weeks worth! Goddam money grabbing gits! :)
  • Options
    Originally posted by BumbleBee
    Good luck. How are you going to smoke dope now though... without tobacco? :eek2:

Someone's going to be putting on some weight eating cake.....
  • Options
    I personally think they should be free to anyone who proves they actually want to quit smoking. It would reduce the number of people who smoked and the strain on the NHS would be lifted. No chance of that though, because the givt. would lose billions in revenue. :rolleyes:
  • Options

Thats the thing... ive stopped smoking it for the time being, and havent done it for a month or so, as i could see this was coming. When im sure ive quit ill do it with little or no tobacco, or maybe not at all...
  • Options
    Thats the thing... ive stopped smoking it for the time being, and havent done it for a month or so, as i could see this was coming. When im sure ive quit ill do it with little or no tobacco, or maybe not at all...

Eat it?

Make some nice cakes and invite elderly relatives around for a chortlesome tea party?
  • Options
    I personally think they should be free to anyone who proves they actually want to quit smoking. It would reduce the number of people who smoked and the strain on the NHS would be lifted. No chance of that though, because the givt. would lose billions in revenue. :rolleyes:

exactly. But, i can see in some ways why they arent allowed for children, there would be a flood of kids selling them in schools or something... idiots.