Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Al Qaeda past, present and future.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
What's your opinion on them? A Toronto think tank said they are operating in Toronto trying to recruit Westerners who could pass through security etc.

Since next year the world's economy will be booming again and even though we know 99% of immigrants are good people, the doors to immigration will have to be open again. How do you have a free and open society and fight this group?

Comments

• Options
    Re: Al Qaeda past, present and future.
    Originally posted by pnjsurferpoet
    What's your opinion on them? A Toronto think tank said they are operating in Toronto trying to recruit Westerners who could pass through security etc.

Since next year the world's economy will be booming again and even though we know 99% of immigrants are good people, the doors to immigration will have to be open again. How do you have a free and open society and fight this group?

PNJ are you psychic? How do you know the world's economy will be booming again next year? We're in the downward part of the economic cycle at the moment and I don't think we're near to bottoming out yet. The Bush economic stimulus package won't help much as the tax cuts were given to the rich who spend less money than the poor as a proportion of income so if the rich decide to just save the money they get from the tax cuts which a large number will there will be little effect on the economy. Meanwhile the Eurozone is being strangled by the Growth and Stability Pact which won't be reformed until next year and then it'll take a year or so to sort a new agreement and get it passed. Meanwhile Japan as the world's second richest nation is still in its deflationary crisis with little idea of how to get out of it. The UK meanwhile is consistently falling short of Treasury forecasts because of the global economic situation and consequently is just about managing to keep its head above water.

Anyway on topic, I think you should give it a rest continually out for any snippet to frighten yourself that terrorists are gonna get you. Life goes on. The best way to deal with terrorism is to increase resources for the security services and improve customs security measures and prepare contingency plans - other than that there is little you can do. In much the same way as you can avoid car accidents by having seatbelts and airbags, traffic lights road markings and the Highway Code - you can't get into a car and drive it everyday continually going "Oh, I'm going to have a car crash and die." Similarly all you can do is protect yourself as much as possible and then just get on with life, stop dwelling on the terrorist threat and enjoy life - it's too short to continually worry about every little threat. You are more likely to die from a traffic accident or a heart attack than by a terrorist attack so stop panicking yourself.
  • Options
    Re: Al Qaeda past, present and future.
    Originally posted by pnjsurferpoet

hate to burst your bubble mate but ...california, 6th largest economy on earth ...???? just about broke, followed by at least another 20 states who are filing emergency tax and cut measures! MUSHROOM! fed bullshit and kept in the dark ...
  • Options
    PNJ ...what are you american people being fed? when it all collapses around your ears over the next few months ...i'll bet you that terrorism gets the blame ...possibly one very big event ...live on tv ...and you lot will carry on believing!
    i think we have a vantage point here ...i can see america burning in the distance ...someone tell them before it's to late .......
  • Options
    America is going to burn in the distance, vote for someone else other than Bush pnj next time.
  • Options
    He didnt vote for anyone first time around and he still wont be of voting age for the next one. In a way that's a relief! ;)
  • Options
    pnj, if I might say so, could you ease up on Muslim terrorists and Al Qaida a bit? Frankly, on the list of things what worry me the most, it doesn't even make it in the top 500. I'm more worried about running out of toilet paper than of Al Qaida. And my guess is that this is a feeling shared by pretty much every last person in Europe.

About time to look at other, more pressing issues.
  • Options
    America is not going to 'burn'.

I dont know where you get all these ridiculous ideas of America crumbling down.

Europe is in the shitter , its people are aging , its workers are working less and less hours , the Euro has turned out to be a disaster.

You are the ones fed bullshit , keep clinging to your hopes that America will die , and that the squabbling nations of Europe will become the new hyperpower.

To the impartial observer , Americas economy is the one with a bright future , and Europes is the one with a bleak outlook.
  • Options
    Getting your daily dose of Sun BS there Mat? lol.

The Euro has not turned out to be a disaster, its working out just fine. You keep dreaming your delusional right wing dreams and be sure to tip Mr. Murdoch while your at it.
  • Options
    The euro is so much of a disaster that has firmly overtaken the Dollar and is on a much stronger position.

Of course, some will say that the weak Dollar is good for their exports (and when the euro was weak, they instead said it was a terrible thing :rolleyes: ).

I don't know what your idea of an impartial observer is, but the S*n or the Telegraph don't qualify.