Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

We can either fight this battle against terrorism at home, or we can fight it abroad,

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
U.S. Army Gen. John Abizaid said July 16.

Do we agree with that?

I feel you make it hard for terrorists to opeate within your country and they'll go elsewhere.

Comments

• Options
    I think a stricter approach on our boarders & tougher security checks would help stop terrorists entering the UK so easily & using it as their base. A tough message needs to be sent out that we're not a soft touch. Then again, terrorists are already in and have been creeping around for years.
    It's a lot easier to plot attacks within the country you're in so it could make a lot of difference.
  • Options
    There is no "battle" against terrorism.

The last terrorist attack on American soil was in September 2001- if we ignore the anthrax-in-the-post 'incidents'. That is pretty good going compared with many other nations, including Spain, Russia, India, Pakistan and others.

If American soldiers are being targeted abroad perhaps what the US government should recall all US troops currently stationed in sensitive spots. That would eliminate terrorism overnight. End of the problem.
  • Options
    When are we going to invade Ireland? They've been killing innocent Britons for years, and I want my revenge. I'm sick of the bringing the fight to us, I want to see the looks on the faces of all those evil Irish people as armoured columns of tanks smash up Dublin!

Wait, that would never happen, the IRA recieves most of its money from American sympathisers.
  • Options
    Don't you mean Belfast? Which is part of the UK.

It's probably because of all the Irish in America Whowhere,
    still smarting over their great-great grandparents struggle during the potato famine of the 19th Century, get over it!
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    There is no "battle" against terrorism.

The last terrorist attack on American soil was in September 2001- if we ignore the anthrax-in-the-post 'incidents'. That is pretty good going compared with many other nations, including Spain, Russia, India, Pakistan and others.

If American soldiers are being targeted abroad perhaps what the US government should recall all US troops currently stationed in sensitive spots. That would eliminate terrorism overnight. End of the problem.

Exactly.

The words "terrorist" and "terrorism" are slowly driving me insane. Especially in the drivel spewed out by Bush.

Terrorism could never be completely eradicated; this isn't a perfect world. But terrorists make a convienient scapegoat.
  • Options
    Especially when our leaders can now call anyone who simply refuses to bow and scrape to their every whim or who dare fight back against our direct (or indirectly supported) control and repression a "terrorist". That's the convenience of still not having a universally accepted definition for the term.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Clandestine
    Especially when our leaders can now call anyone who simply refuses to bow and scrape to their every whim or who dare fight back against our direct (or indirectly supported) control and repression a "terrorist". That's the convenience of still not having a universally accepted definition for the term.

Yes, it is now just thrown around so impetuously it is beginning to lose meaning, yet the significance of the word is embellished through the excessive use.

(Fun game: watch the British news and an American news channel and count every time someone says either "terrorism" or "terrorist", alternately have a drink/shot each time they are spoken. Heh. The fun I have.)
  • Options
    Wait, that would never happen, the IRA recieves most of its money from American sympathisers.

That was a BBC lie.
  • Options
    Originally posted by pnjsurferpoet
    That was a BBC lie.

:rolleyes:

The IRA get funds from somewhere....

Why do you think in this "War against terrorism" N.Ireland isn't mentioned? Factions are still fighting to the death there...
  • Options
    No pnj, that is a fact. You obviously know nothing of what goes on in Iraish communities throught the US and in many Iraish Catholic churches throughout the country either.
  • Options
    The IRA get funds from somewhere....

They may get it from churches but not in an openly honest way. It is more probable they get it through fund-raising efforts for the "poor" of Europe. By fund-raising in that manner, it would not only be legal in America, but also generate more funds. Don't forget, America is a largely Prostestant country and there's enough anger towards Catholics as it is...why would they risk more. Plus, the UK is seen as a "friend" of America but nearly everyone in America.

Clandestine, I'm sure you are correct that there's radicals of every kind operating in a country as big as America.
  • Options
    The people you call radicals consider themselves decent hardworking Irish Americans no different from any other citizen. You simply have no real comprehension of how widespread support for the IRA was and still is across the country pnj.

Spare yourself the embarrassment of being wrong about this and either go do some thorough research or go up to Boston or to Chicago for starters and talk with some Irish bartenders about how much fundraising goes on and how openly it is done.
  • Options
    Originally posted by pnjsurferpoet
    They may get it from churches but not in an openly honest way.

That's the point; it's dishonest, deceitful and people die as a result. They don't fund-raise, they get given money through connections.

It really is common knowledge the IRA is funded largely from America...