Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Argh!!! Braces

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I just got fixed braces last week and the wires that stick out at the back by the molars are really poking into my inner cheek. Has anyone else with braces got this problem and what can be done or does it get better?

Comments

• Options
    I used to. Ask your dentist & they should give you some plasticy stuff to put on the sticky outy bits
  • Options
    Go to your dentist, tell him/her the problem or else just put up with it, there just can't be pleasure in this life.
  • Options
    Oooh, I feel for you, I really do, I can still feel what it used to be like for me when I hear someone else describe it! Go to your dentist, and they'll give you some wax stuff which you can put on the end when it's rubbing. Also, it's possible that the wire's a bit too long, and they'll trim it for you, that's what they did for me. Good luck, and think of that stunning smile you'll have at the end of it! :D
  • Options
    Hey, I've got fixed braces - had them nearly two and a half years... got them taken off on the 11th of August tho! :D

Anyway, like the others have said, either use the wax your dentist should have given you (if s/he didn't, go back and ask for it!) or if it's slightly too long (as sometimes happens) go back and they'll happily squeeze you in for two minutes to cut it.

Your mouth/cheeks will soon get used to it... takes a while, but soon enough you won't even notice it :) Anything else you wanna know, feel free to PM me :)
  • Options
    hands over a trophy to brit james

also did it hurt to get the braces?
  • Options
    I had my braces taken off last Wednesday, woo! Only had them on for about four and a half months as well :)

I never had that problem really, it was uncomfortable and some of the metal rubbed on the inside of my cheek and stuff, but I just got used to it in time. I had a (slightly anaesthetising, I think) spray from another toothy problem that ulcerated the inside of my cheek, so I used that which helped. But like everyone else has said, if it doesn't get any better, then go back to the dentist and see if anything can be done about it :)
  • Options
    Fugue, getting the braces put on and taken off isn't sore - I didn't even realise mine were off until my dentist told me! But it can be a bit sore for a couple of days after your brace is tightened, just cos your teeth are being moved and stuff. But it's not agony or anything, just a bit sore. I just didn't eat anything hard for a few days after having them tightened. But the benefits are so huge, my teeth are GREAT now! ;)
  • Options
    Thanks a lot guys and gyals. Its day 7 and the wires aren't poking me as much, but they still are. I think they're gonna get better :)
    I can't wait until my braces come off. My orthodontist said that they'd only be on for about 12 months which means this time next year I'll be doing this a lot :D:D:D:D:D
  • Options
    It's day 10 and I can hardly feel the wire's anymore :D plus the fact that people hardly notice my braces (because they are the ceramic ones), and I am noticing my teeth getting straighter each day, I'm starting to like this braces idea :)
    My advice to anyone is that if you're thinking about getting braces ..... GET 'EM!!!
    You won't regret it ;)
  • Options
    Originally posted by urbantrained
    It's day 10 and I can hardly feel the wire's anymore :D plus the fact that people hardly notice my braces (because they are the ceramic ones), and I am noticing my teeth getting straighter each day, I'm starting to like this braces idea :)
    My advice to anyone is that if you're thinking about getting braces ..... GET 'EM!!!
    You won't regret it ;)

We told ya you'd soon get used to it :)

I've only got four weeks to go now until I have mine taken off so I've been looking at some websites, finding out about the retainers I'm going to have to have and all the rest of it, and I found www.tanos.co.uk/braces - there is allsorts of info on there about braces, before during and after. Just in case anyone was interested :)
  • Options
    If it's just the wire sticking out, go to your dentist (not necessarily the orthodontist - i have one of each), and they won't have wire cutters, but can use the drill to shorten the end of the wire. I never use the wax I got given, as it doesn't stay on, and it feels like you have a piece of food stuck in your teeth!