Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

NHS Star Ratings 2003

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
How has your Trust scored?

Find out here

What do think think of this style of rating hospital/PCT performance?

Comments

• Options
    Well I live in a one star trust (Barnet and Chase Farm) and I find it hard to compare - where my trust gives figures there's no national comparison or vice versa thus making the whole purpose of the tables, to provide comparisons, pointless. Where I could find comparisons, in my Primary Care Trust (Barnet) I was disturbed by the few places where I could make a comparison namely:

Death rates: Circulatory Diseases
    Barnet - 12.80% National Average - 4.00%

Death rates: Cancer
    Barnet - 8.10% National Average - 0.10%
  • Options
    so both my acute and ambulance trust are both 3 star

the trust I work for is 2 star

I don't think that this style of rating hospitals is particularly helpful.

example
    one of the factors we are rated on is incidents

we have just revised our incident reporting procedures and have trained most staff (3000) as a result many staff are now so paranoid that they no longer manager their own risks, but fill in an incident report for almost everything that happens - just in case. this has massively increased the workload of the risk manager.

Yes organisations need targets and need to be accountable but a problem with reporting on these and things such as CHI (www.chi.nhs.uk (or whatever its new name is)) is that with good managers on paper a trust can look great, yet in practice it isn't quite so good.
  • Options
    Thanks for that link Mok.

Well what would you know? The old and dirty-looking King's College has a 3-star rating! I'm off to A & E!
  • Options
    I saw it on the news today that our local hospt in Colchester has gone from a 3 star to a 2 star, and theyre not happy about it.
    I dont think it means much though, when i was there on friday night at A&E they saw me within an hour and everyone was brilliant, i think thats the real test.
  • Options
    All hospitals in my region scored 3, however the Primary care trust I work for scored 2. Not surprised to be honest.