Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

English Laws and Foreign MPs

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Yes, foreign MPs, because when it comes to laws only affecting England, that's precisely what Scottish, Welsh and Irish MPs are. Foreign.

Following this week's farce over Health and Social Service Act (which included Foundation Hospitals), isn't it time for regulations to be brought in restricting the rights of non-English MPs to vote on matters affecting only England?

Aren't these MPs there to represent their consituency, not mine?

Comments

• Options
    Yes but Northern Irish MPs have been doing this for decades and no-one batted an eyelid. It is true that it is wrong and the only way to sort it is to give the English regions the same powers as Scotland which I think will be the eventual way it will sort out.

It is though totally disgusting that foundation hospitals and other controversial measures will only be passed thanks to Scottish and Welsh MPs who aren't affected. Plus B. Liar's melodramatics that if they vote him down they'll bring down the government - I do wonder how smart our esteemed MPs really are when they can believe BS like that - for the government to be brought down there would have to be a Vote of No Confidence which is a separate vote in itself, one which the government would easily win, thus it would have little effect if Labour MPs found their backbones and voted against the abhorrent policies B. Liar is determined to force on us.
  • Options
    The West Lothian question, huh?

Well what do you suggest? English devolution?

Or some kind of statute that prevents Scottish MP's from voting on English issues?
  • Options
    Well I guess it'd be fine... as long as England didn't interfier with Wales, Scotland or Northern Ireland.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Creeper
    Well I guess it'd be fine... as long as England didn't interfier with Wales, Scotland or Northern Ireland.

Since devolution we haven't been able to vote on Scottish or Welsh health issues anyway, which is what this particular vote was about. Time will come when NI will be able to have even more control over their own affairs than they do now, but the same rule applies to them on this issue.

No, monocrat, I don't think that devolution is the answer, it would make a bigger mess than exists already. I do advocate that only English MPs should be allowed to vote on issue which affect only England - such as this Bill.

Out of interest, even without the foreign MPs there would have been a majority of 8 (apparently), but when the numbers get smaller the issue becomes bigger...
  • Options
    I agree with Man of Kent.
    If Scotland, Wales & NI want to vote on certain issues without English that's fine. Just so long as it works both ways.
  • Options
    But what is to be done to stop Scottish MP's from voting on English issues?
  • Options
    Originally posted by monocrat
    But what is to be done to stop Scottish MP's from voting on English issues?

Do you really need to ask that question? DOn't you think that we can identify which laws are only affecting England and which MP doesn't sit in an English constituency?
  • Options
    But at the moment it's not possible to simply limit Scottish MP's from voting on English issues. There would have to be some kind of legislation preventing Scottish MP's from voting.
  • Options
    So?

Can't see the Tories opposing it, because it would improve their position in the future (potentially) and Labour are all for devolution (plus it will help in the future regional issues relating to full EU memberhip)...