Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

scary depressed kiddies

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
do you know what?

I wouldnt be suprised if every second person on here has been on anti depressants, or is on the right now.

Jesus, the amount of problems we all have. I know this is like a young person's place to discuss things... but its not like a councilling page or anything is it? And yet we all come on here and discuss these problems we have (which isnt a bad thing).

We all just seem so depressed. And the people who stop coming here suddenly? What the hell happened to them? I mean, we all know about rubber, but what about everyone else? like the newbies who come here and post one thing about a major problem they have and how depressed they are about it... anyone ever wander about them?

I find it increasingly scary and slightly disturbing about the number of people, especially young people, here who are having huge life changing problems and hence them are on medication to help them stay alive. I've been on the happy pills too, and it takes some time for you to feel the effect, if you ever do. If you're not strong enough to make that first couplf of months... well.

Sorry, I just realised how many people on here are struggling to hold onto their lives. Its so sad.

Comments

• Options
    aye, i know what you mean, lotsa young people are on some sorta drug these days to help em....me being an example! not proud but they what keep me goin and keep me from bein all :crying:
  • Options
    All depends what you define as 'depressed' though. Are you talking about clinical problems?

I've been in a psych unit before and am weaning myself off anti-depressents (again) and suffer from reccurant depression, but I don't spill my problems often.

I think it's sort of because the fact that depressed people cut themselves off from the world and use the internet a lot more.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Creeper

I think it's sort of because the fact that depressed people cut themselves off from the world and use the internet a lot more.

quite possibly
  • Options
    Yeh thats true, and hopefully everyone makes each other feel better...it makes me think of Kevvy too:( RIP hun
    xxx
  • Options
    Its because everyone is streotypical, so many young people get bullied over the stupidest things and they dont tell anyone how much it hurts and they hold there feelings in, and then something else happens and they hold it all in.Well thats the way i see it, alot people who are drepessed on here need someone to tell there problems to, which maybe they have noone they can talk to in the real world, so maybe thats why this place attracts alot of depressed people.By the way ive never been on anti depressants, so this might just be aloud of shit but its what i thought *shrugs*
  • Options
    I've been badly depressed but got counselling instead of pills...but if the doctor had suggested pills to correct some kind of chemical imbalance I probably would have taken them....

however, I do think that theres a tendancy to prescribe pills left right and centre to really young people because they are a little bit angst ridden (A bit like ritalin and 'hyperactive' kids a few years ago)

having said that I was so pissed off yesterday I actually had my first ever...'oh fuck it why don't I just down a bottle of pills' moment. Luckily I was out in the sunshine with the dog so I just pulled myself together, but it was scary as I never felt like that before.
  • Options
    i been on anti - depressants for about 5 months now and they are probably the only thing keeping me together... feel myself slipping into a major downer as i type think i went a bit heavy on the drink last night, not good...

If one thing being depressed has taught me theres no one who can help you 100% but yourself, but when you dont see the point you think fuck it and carry on doing whatever feels right even though it might not be .
    Just feels like im destined to be this way forever...
  • Options
    I agree that the word depressed gets used far too much. i hae a friend who is depressed in the doctor diagnosed way of things, and the difference between those who just say "im depressed" when somethings making them sad make me sick in comparison to what she goes through.
    also, it is worrying that people post one serious problem and never get heard from again. im gonna be thinkin about that for a long time now. :(
  • Options
    The problem is far worse than you can imagine. Children are becoming "depressed" at a younger and younger age. At work the number of patients who are under 14 who are referred for counselling is very very high.

The thing is, I reckon that these days the first hint of a problem and people break down, esp. young children. Parents are different to how they were when I was younger. They take less responsibility for their children. The number of parents who actively seek counselling for their children is higher than I ever would have thought. Half these kids don't need counselling, they just need some stability, which is one thing, as a society, that we lack.
  • Options
    thing is, and i know this is going to sound harsh, but kids today don't know they're born.

let me rephrase that.

we don't know we're born. me too. all of us.

i used to think i had such a hard life. abuse, bullying, depression, all that jazz.

then one day my mum told me some stories about my grandma and the things she went through, what with the war, the holocaust, being a refugee. and it made my life look like the easiest thing in the world. and she never complained. or got anti-depressants. or tried to kill herself. she just dealt with it.

it would be easy to think that my grandma was just an amazing woman, but she was just a woman. they were made of stronger stuff in them days. these days the littlest thing happens and we fall apart. 'oh no - i get bullied at school'. everyone gets bullied at school. i can count on one hand the number of people i know that didn't get bullied at school.

IMO we need to pull ourselves together. and that includes me.

</rant>
  • Options
    Doctors are easily conned to be honest. My boyfriend laid it on thick to get a sicknote for 3 months. I think this is unacceptable.

He was on anti depressants but decided to take himself off them and it took about two months before he was back to "normal" again. :(