Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Sharon bans BBC from his London Press Conference.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
http://www.guardian.co.uk/international/story/0,3604,995897,00.html

I didn't realize someone could ban a broadcaster from a press conference.

Comments

• Options
    Sure, if its a closed press conference they can admit anyone they like.

Not surprising that even in the face of inside revelations for which a decent man is rotting in an Israeli prison, his only crime being the exposing of illegal WMD production by the Israeli Govt, Sharon continues to lie and coverup.

Time for no fly zones and UN inspection teams to start sweeping Israel clean of WMDs too!
  • Options
    I don't think that the BBC should be banned but I'd go along with the feeling that the BBC are slightly anti-Israel.
    Every news source seems to be greatly dominated by its political stance, why can't we just have an impartial source of news!
  • Options
    why can't we just have an impartial source of news!

Amen. The only place I feel I'm getting the facts is online from the AP or Reuters news sources. :o
  • Options
    dan, to expose the truth of illegal activity by world leaders, regardless of the country in question is not indicative of an "anti.." bias.

For god's sake, if not for impartial news services of the calibre of the BBC with its global reach, you might as well close your eyes and believe the sorts of lies and controlled news reporting that pnj's jock friend is so inundated with.

Its about time a news agency showed the kind of guts the BBC has been increasingly demonstrating to expose the truth behind all the spin and lies being put out by the corporate owned media.
  • Options
    Let's face it, it's your opinion that the BBC is an impartial news service, maybe it's because you believe in what they're saying.
    I don't think any of them are impartial.
  • Options
    pnj's jock friend

Not friend. Waaaaaaaaaay bigger than me.:nervous:
  • Options
    No dan, I also take issue from time to time with the BBC's coverage of things. However Ive seen sufficient variety of news sources both televised and print and in foreign languages as well to recognise the non-politically aligned presentation of the news by BBC as perhaps the highest quality and most substantial reporting available worldwide.

If you claim they are partial, then to what or whom are they partial? Do they expose Tory, Lib Dem and Labour wrongdoings equally? Yes they do! So you have little grounds for calling them liberal, conversative or other in their bias.

Not being under the thumb of corporate ownership also maintains their independent nature which helps ensure as thorough, inclusive and balanced an assessment of events as one could hope to gain from any televised news.
  • Options
    From the news article:
    Although the programme, Israel's Secret Weapon, was broadcast in Britain in March, it was a trailer on BBC World rather than the content that provoked Israeli anger. It showed pictures of the nuclear reactor at Dimona and the biological institute in Nes Tziona as a narrator asked: "Which country in the Middle East has not declared the nuclear and biological weapons in its possession?"
    Something that is universally acknowledged, is the subject of at least one (outstanding) UN resolution and it is something and that even the Israelis will admit to. So what seems to be the problem?
    Danny Seaman, the director of the Israeli government's press office, who has made similar accusations of anti-Israeli coverage against the Guardian, accused the BBC of putting Israel in the same camp as Saddam Hussein's Iraq.

Excuse me??? Israel is in violation of dozens of UN resolutions, is guilty of a catalogue of human right abuses of shocking proportions and has an undeclared arsenal of nuclear, biological and chemical weapons. So who is putting Israel in the same camp as Saddam Hussein? Is it the BBC? Or could it be Israel itself?

How on earth could anyone suggest the BBC is biased for reporting that? Do we still believe that due to events 60 years ago the people of Israel should be allowed to do whatever the fuck they want?

I shall be one of the protesters 'marking' the visit of the Butcher of Tel Aviv to Britain. Depending on the number of minders, I mind even attempt a citizen's arrest on the murdering war criminal.
  • Options
    I wonder if he could ban a broadcaster at an American News Conference. Freedom of the Press and Freedom of Assembly come to mind.
  • Options
    If it was a closed press conference yes he could. The Whitehouse itself is selective in what press agencies as well as what particular reporters are allowed to attend Whitehouse briefings.