Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Coeliac disease

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Does anyone have any experience of this please??

(Please don`t just look up websites and tell me all about it, I can do that myself, thanks. ;) )

Comments

• Options
    What is it?
  • Options
    It`s where the proteins in gluten become toxic to the gut, gradually damaging it so that you`re unable to absorb nutrients properly.
  • Options
    im actually wondering if this is what im experiencing as ive had alot of bother with my stomach and anything more serious has been checked out. a lady i worked with before had it and she had to be careful of what she ate, checking for gluten in her food! sorry cant be any more help. :)
  • Options
    Do you think you, your hubby or one of your kids has it, then?

My older half brother used to have Coeliac Disease when he was younger, which made it really difficult for my Mum to feed him, when he came to visit in the holidays, as those were the days before you could get much more than gluten free flour and horrible bland biscuits. She had to really use her initiative, as he was suspious of anything that countained flour in, even if Mum would show him exactly what she was making things with.

I imagine it's a lot better nowadays, and it's pretty easy to find gluton free stuff in health shops and even lots of supermarkets. You might still be able to get the flour on prescription.

People say it stays with you for life, but Paul (my brother) has been fine since at least his late teens, it's only recently he's had to start being a bit careful again, but even so, it's nothing like before.

Sorry this isn't really first hand :)
  • Options
    Originally posted by Meryn
    Do you think you, your hubby or one of your kids has it, then?

Yes, the other half has had the blood test for antibodies and it`s come back positive. He`s got to wait for a biopsy now.