Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Being a geek

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Everyone has their groups and girlfriends. Except me. I'm a geek. I go to a pub quiz last night, look around, everyone else with their brilliant groups and their amazing girlfriends. Except me, standing in a corner, looking at my glass of whisky. Why is it so difficult for me to be normal?

Comments

• Options
    Hey Will,

I'll tell you how it used to be for me:

I was fat, ugly, I had braces (for 8 years), wore glasses (for 8 years), was one of the top students, I was the most naive person and I had no friends.

Now I'm slim (but only after anorexia), not naive (but only after being raped), wear contacts, don't have braces, my marks have dropped, and I'm now APPARENTLY beautiful.

All that happened out of depression and loads of other shit. I think it would have been better if I had stayed the way I was. So don't be down 'cause you'll find someone like you who will love you for who you are and not for being a flash, egotistical, male slag with a fake girlfriend like alot of people out there. So sit in your corner and enjoy that whisky mate!!! :p

~Anya
  • Options
    Originally posted by Anya
    So don't be down 'cause you'll find someone like you who will love you for who you are and not for being a flash, egotistical, male slag with a fake girlfriend like alot of people out there. So sit in your corner and enjoy that whisky mate!!! :p
    *nods*

Just be patient and you'll meet someone who likes the same things as you as likes you for who you are.
  • Options
    Re: Being a geek
    Originally posted by will haycock
    Everyone has their groups and girlfriends. Except me. I'm a geek. I go to a pub quiz last night, look around, everyone else with their brilliant groups and their amazing girlfriends. Except me, standing in a corner, looking at my glass of whisky. Why is it so difficult for me to be normal?

Do you have a cousin or a bro or sister or someone in your family you know well? Go out with the, get to know there friends and things just branch out. You get to know there friends too. Also, when your at the pub, sit at the bar, talk to the landlords and people that come to the bar, dont force things, just a few things at a time and then it progresses. Hope this helps.

BTW what are you into? Music wise, interests, anything you can think or? Or what would you be interested in doing?
  • Options
    and clean ur teeth before talking to people u dont want smelly breath and make them go away :lol:
  • Options
    Originally posted by rajtommy
    and clean ur teeth before talking to people u dont want smelly breath and make them go away :lol:

wtf?!

Hey mate I know what it's like but don't worry you'll meet some cool people soon :)
  • Options
    Calling yourself a geek can't be good for your self esteem. You need to dismiss all your stereotypes, you're not a geek, you're just yourself.

You can't expect to have loads of friends without putting some effort into it. Instead of standing in the corner with your glass of whisky (physically or metaphorically) get talking to people or join a club, and meet people who you have shared interests with.

Stick at it, because all the effort it takes is well worth the chance of being in one of those brilliant groups and maybe have your own amazing girlfriend.

Remember normality is just an illusion in our minds, no one's normal, and no one should be. Be happy to be unique just like everyone else. :p
  • Options
    Originally posted by Ladon J
    Calling yourself a geek can't be good for your self esteem.

what you on about, its all about being a geek. cus they real

being a geek is the way forward.

GOT. EVERYTHING. EVERBODY. KNEEDS
  • Options
    yeh, be patient, everyone has their time........
  • Options
    Originally posted by molo
    GOT. EVERYTHING. EVERBODY. KNEEDS

If you were truely a geek, you would know the correct spelling is 'needs'.

/ pedant

and to the original poster: life is what you make of it mate. if you decide that you're a geek with no friends then thats what you'll be. whereas if you decide to be a friendly person who will talk to anyone at any time then you will find life gets a lot better! When at the pub quizzes try asking to join someone elses group, they'll most likely welcome you anyway. good luck!
  • Options
    If you are a geeky loner ( as I am sure you would put it mr negative), what were you doing at a pub quiz? It's the night when everyone goes with their mates. Be yourself, make some mates, get a girlfriend ( they will all happen in time), and THEN go to a pub quiz.
    Let nature take its course. Don't force it. If you try to hard you will just push people away.
    Good Luck.
    End.
  • Options
    Re: Re: Being a geek
    Originally posted by VinylVicky
    Do you have a cousin or a bro or sister or someone in your family you know well? Go out with the, get to know there friends and things just branch out. You get to know there friends too. Also, when your at the pub, sit at the bar, talk to the landlords and people that come to the bar, dont force things, just a few things at a time and then it progresses. Hope this helps.

BTW what are you into? Music wise, interests, anything you can think or? Or what would you be interested in doing?

I've got a brother, who I do see occasionally, though I can't see him that often because he lives miles away. I'd talk to people at the pub if it were a bit easier - the landlords tend to be busy serving drinks and people tend to be in their tight-knit groups. I only bothered going there to go to the quiz really. Otherwise I wouldn't go on my own, because it'd be boring. Pubs used to be places where you could meet people, but in modern times, they've become more suited for people bringing their mates.

I'm not sure what I'm into half the time! Usually spend a lot of time working and am trying to get some work experience at the moment. Looking to eventually get a career in Accounting or some similar area, and hoping to do a degree in it next year. Plan to do a bit of traveling later on in the summer. Normally in my spare time I like to watch films, watch telly, listen to music, play my guitar, work out (sometimes at home, sometimes at the gym), go on the net, and go to clubs. Used to love getting drunk, but don't like it so much now, because it makes me sick. Occasionally see friends, though not many live in Guildford, and I'm not really the leader of the group. How about you?
  • Options
    Originally posted by icey
    If you were truely a geek, you would know the correct spelling is 'needs'.

/ pedant

and to the original poster: life is what you make of it mate. if you decide that you're a geek with no friends then thats what you'll be. whereas if you decide to be a friendly person who will talk to anyone at any time then you will find life gets a lot better! When at the pub quizzes try asking to join someone elses group, they'll most likely welcome you anyway. good luck!

look micey or whatever

that would be alright if you wanted to be a geen, but geeks are the way forward (gully geeks)

clearly noone is thick enough to think thats how need is spelt!

you try think of something clever that fits in.
  • Options
    look micey or whatever

that would be alright if you wanted to be a geen, but geeks are the way forward (gully geeks)

*rolls eyes*
    get. a. life.
  • Options
    look micey or whatever

May well be me being a bit slow or whatever, but seems to me that all that was a pile of nonsensical bullshit.
    Excuse my dimness. :blush::p
  • Options
    Re: Re: Re: Being a geek
    I've got a brother, who I do see occasionally, though I can't see him that often because he lives miles away. I'd talk to people at the pub if it were a bit easier - the landlords tend to be busy serving drinks and people tend to be in their tight-knit groups. I only bothered going there to go to the quiz really. Otherwise I wouldn't go on my own, because it'd be boring. Pubs used to be places where you could meet people, but in modern times, they've become more suited for people bringing their mates.

I'm not sure what I'm into half the time! Usually spend a lot of time working and am trying to get some work experience at the moment. Looking to eventually get a career in Accounting or some similar area, and hoping to do a degree in it next year. Plan to do a bit of traveling later on in the summer. Normally in my spare time I like to watch films, watch telly, listen to music, play my guitar, work out (sometimes at home, sometimes at the gym), go on the net, and go to clubs. Used to love getting drunk, but don't like it so much now, because it makes me sick. Occasionally see friends, though not many live in Guildford, and I'm not really the leader of the group. How about you?

Im into dance music and most of my friends are too. Although, I do have other friends in different groups. I dont have many hobbies, im a spur of the moment girl and I never usually know what im doing til im doing it! I think you should go travelling, you will make tons of friends but you will be just passing and you will get to know lots about other people. It could build your confidence up as they dont know you, they dont know anything about you, so it doesnt matter! You can practise making friends. The uni idea is god too, you will meat lots of people there who your prolly gonna spend quite some time with, I made most of my friends from college, I dont see most of em now, but the friends I have spiralled from having them as friends.
    see, with my local, the landlord and landlady are cool, and were on first name terms, its a friendsly local and they have always made me welcome. So, maybe im lucky.What are the people you work with like?
  • Options
    .. That's weird I thought I posted to this thread??

Anyway I thought I'd suggested you tried a tour for young people like Contiki Coach Tours. - search for them on the web - looks like a laugh and quite a few people meet the person of their dreams and get hitched!!

If you want a social life - how about getting a night job in a nightclub a few days a week ... you'll meet loads of people and get paid to do it!!

You could also take up a sport or evening class - I took up Archery - although it's full of old men - but it's a good laugh when I can be bothered to go .. been very lazy lately.

I do think it's harder for guys to break into new social circles .. girls can chat to guys no problem. . but often a guy trying to start a conversation with a girl you istantly seen as hitting upon them, although this varies from region to region, more of a problem in London I think and less in the North .. had many guys say the same things that girls in the Midlands and the North you can just chat and have a laugh with whilst girls in London are always on guard!!
  • Options
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Being a geek
    What are the people you work with like?

They're a bit old, but I get on quite well with them, and enjoy talking to them. Don't really know whether I need to be with people my own age or not - certainly the people at my college were pretty pathetic, and they played a lot of irritating little games, so I couldn't (and didn't want to) relate to them very much. I'm not sure what uni would be like, a lot of the students there are up in London and tend to go straight back home, but I'm planning to go to uni more for the degree than the social life. I think at least they should be a little bit less irritating than the people I had to put up with at college. Hmm.... I suppose a lot of social life as a student revolves around getting shitfaced, so I suppose getting people to the bar is always a good move.

Diamondgeezer: I don't think you have posted to this thread already, you might have got me confused with someone else. It's nice to see you on these boards again, how is everything going?
  • Options
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Being a geek
    They're a bit old, but I get on quite well with them, and enjoy talking to them. Don't really know whether I need to be with people my own age or not - certainly the people at my college were pretty pathetic, and they played a lot of irritating little games, so I couldn't (and didn't want to) relate to them very much. I'm not sure what uni would be like, a lot of the students there are up in London and tend to go straight back home, but I'm planning to go to uni more for the degree than the social life. I think at least they should be a little bit less irritating than the people I had to put up with at college. Hmm.... I suppose a lot of social life as a student revolves around getting shitfaced, so I suppose getting people to the bar is always a good move.
    Most my friends arent my age, they are older than me. I tend toget on with people older than me better. Dont let age bother you, I think you haveto go on the on the individual. Make uni for a degree and a new social life. Do your collegues ever go out for drinks after work? Or why dont you invite some of them for a couple of beers after work??
  • Options
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Being a geek
    Do your collegues ever go out for drinks after work? Or why dont you invite some of them for a couple of beers after work??

We do go for drinks occasionally. I sometimes go to a music quiz on Sundays with them as well, though haven't been going much recently.