Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Painful sex - WTF is wrong with me?!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ok, appologies for any graphicness that may follow. :blush::)

Right, a while ago i thought i might have thrush so started treating it with the usual pessaries and cream.
Anyway, what i thought was thrush didn't clear up so i went to the doctors. I told her i have discharge and soreness when i try and have sex.
I had 2 swabs taken by the nurse, one for any infection and another to check for clamidia (sp?)
Thankfully, the results were clear but i'm completely confused now. If i don't have an infection or STI then WTF is wrong with me?! It's not because i'm not wet enough cos' when my boyfriend and i try and have sex we use plenty of lube and we're spending an hour upwards on foreplay.

I really have no clue what could be up, the discharge isn't as bad as it was but i'm still sore and it makes sex unenjoyable for me as it's just to painful. I'm at the end of my tether so i'm turning to you lot for ideas...anyone have any idea what could be wrong?

Thanks for any replies people and sorry for the minging
detail. :yuck: :blush:

Comments

• Options
    I honestly dont know, I would say go back and see your doctor as something is not right.
    You shouldnt be sore when having sex, thats long as you say you are doing plenty of foreplay. Could it be that you think its going to hurt, that subconciously you are yourself making it hurt by being over tense waiting to get the pain you normally get?

Id really go and see the doc though as it is not normal for it to kep hurting you :)
  • Options
    Perhaps you have a tight vagina which makes it uncomfortable for you to have sex?

Maybe, I don't want to scare you, there is a growth or something in you which may cause this?

Why don't you pop to your local sex clinic?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Xila
    Maybe, I don't want to scare you, there is a growth or something in you which may cause this?

I would have thought that the doc would have noticed this? and shes had 2 swabs taken so to me (although im no doctor) if it were something like that wouldnt it show?

one of the nobodies do you have regular smears taken? when was your last one?

To anyone out there smears are a must especially when you become sexually active. Yes I appreciate they are not very comfortable but for 2 mins of being uncomfortable it is really worth it. Dont beleive the horror stories that some people say because although its uncomfortable its not that painful. If anyone wants to know what they do PM me and I will reply to you :)
  • Options
  • Options
    Originally posted by BeckyBoo

one of the nobodies do you have regular smears taken? when was your last one?

I've never had a smear test. I'm 17 and have been sexally active with the same partner for about a year and six months. I'm not sure when i'll need one as nothing has been mentioned about it by my doctor.

Anyway, thanks for the replies, it not sore anymore so i'm guessing it was more of a psychological problem rather than a physical one. Thanks Becky. :)
  • Options
    Originally posted by One of the Nobodies
    I've never had a smear test. I'm 17 and have been sexally active with the same partner for about a year and six months. I'm not sure when i'll need one as nothing has been mentioned about it by my doctor.

I remember being told my G.P some time ago about having smears and how important they are. Especially when you have had problems and then when xila mentioned growth it just triggered something in my head.
    Susie do we have a fact sheet about smears, why we need them etc that could maybe be put up as a sticky ?
  • Options
    Yep One Of The Nobodies, you should have a smear test within one year of being sexually active, so book one with your GP or GUM clinic NOW! And tell them about the problems you're having while you're there - they may be able to help. :)
  • Options
    One of the nobodies- go back to your doctor and explain that you still have this problem. You can ask to see another doctor at the surgery if you don't think your doctor is being helpful. Good luck

Also, I'm 17 and sexually active and when I asked my doctor about getting a smear test done he said I didn't need to have one til I was 20! I know that I've been sexually active for less than a year, but 20 seems ages.:confused:
  • Options
    They don't do smear tests until you're older now. I think it is 20. I know it used to be one year after you're sexually active. If you're worried I'm sure the doctor would tell you to have one if he thought it was necessary.
  • Options
    Originally posted by BritJames
    or tell the bf to get a reduction *grin* he'd love you for that!

Lol, yeah he'd love that. I don't want to give him a big head! (no pun intended!)

:lol::)
  • Options
    smear tests

"According to a spokesperson for the Family Planning Association, women should start having smear tests from the first year they become sexually active. If the smear shows nothing abnormal, the test is repeated at 3 or 5-year intervals, depending upon your local health authority. Note that you cannot be screened during your period. The best time to have the test is roughly two weeks after the first day of your period. "

Edited to say you are usually contacted by your Gp to have one at about 21 however if you have been sexually active before then you should make an appointment yourself, as it says above. Also if you have really bad/ irregular periods your GP may suggest you have a smear.
  • Options
    As for the original question, it could be vaginismus, a stress-related thing where the vagins just doesnt stretch like ti should. are exams or something getting you all tense?
  • Options
    I'm 18 and went along to the nurse for a smear test. However she said they dont do them routinely until you are 20 and when you turn 20 they will write to you telling you to make an appointment for one. So until that happens or your doctor knows of your specific problems and suggests you have one you dont need to worry about having a smear tesr just yet.:)
  • Options
    Who should have them?

According to a spokesperson for the Family Planning Association, women should start having smear tests from the first year they become sexually active. If the smear shows nothing abnormal, the test is repeated at 3 or 5-year intervals, depending upon your local health authority. Note that you cannot be screened during your period. The best time to have the test is roughly two weeks after the first day of your period.

Sprouts this is a copy and paste from the link Susie put up. Anyone who has been sexually active should have a smear test from the first year they become sexually active. One of the nobodies has said she is sexually active so I think a smear test would be best especially seeing as she is having problems. It also means anyone who is sexually active should also have a smear test, not just if they are having problems.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    As for the original question, it could be vaginismus, a stress-related thing where the vagins just doesnt stretch like ti should. are exams or something getting you all tense?

I was in the middle of my exams when the soreness started so it may be exam stress which is to blame.
    Originally posted by BeckyBoo
    One of the nobodies has said she is sexually active so I think a smear test would be best especially seeing as she is having problems. It also means anyone who is sexually active should also have a smear test, not just if they are having problems.

Thanks for the advice Becky, i'm going to make an appointment at the doctors for a smear just to be safe. I would advise others to do the same. Better to be safe than sorry! :)
  • Options
    Originally posted by One of the Nobodies

Thanks for the advice Becky, i'm going to make an appointment at the doctors for a smear just to be safe. I would advise others to do the same. Better to be safe than sorry! :) [/B]

No problem, as you say better be safe than sorry :)

If you are a bit worried about it enquire if the nurse can do it. My surgery actually have a designated clinic anyway which is normally done by the nurse rather than a doctor, the same may apply at your surgery.