Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Advice needed URGENTLY!!!!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi All on Saturday night it was my 18th Birthday party and obviously i got wasted and so did my girlfriend, when we got home we got real horny and did what we usually do, we had sex but WITHOUT a condom and she is NOT on the pill. We both want her to get the morning after pill.

I just need to know where you get it from?? and is it true that she can take it 72 hours after it happened??

Help!! Thanks

Scott

Comments

• Options
    Check out this page regarding the morning after pill.
  • Options
    That would be great the only problem being that i am at work and that page has been blocked over our server!!

Can Someone else please help me!!!!!
  • Options
    Yes, you can take it upto 72 hours after having unprotected sex, also, unless she is due on her period soon then the chances of her actually getting pregnant are quite low, but they are still there, get down to you local family planning and get a morning after pill, they can definately be taken upto 72 hours afterward.
  • Options
    yeah you can take it up to 72hrs later, but the sooner you take it the more effective it is. Thats what I was told when I had to take it, I got mine from my doctors, but you can get it from the family planning clinic, and even over the counter now, I think, in places like boots.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Tinkerbelle
    yeah you can take it up to 72hrs later, but the sooner you take it the more effective it is. Thats what I was told when I had to take it, I got mine from my doctors, but you can get it from the family planning clinic, and even over the counter now, I think, in places like boots.

Thanks for that, its good news the only problem is she is unconfident and wants me to get it her the MAP. Will a chemist let me buy the MAP or will my gf have to be present or have to buy it herslef?????
  • Options
    Originally posted by Clementine
    That would be great the only problem being that i am at work and that page has been blocked over our server!!

Can Someone else please help me!!!!!

Pasted from the link :D

Emergency Contraception

Last night when you were having sex, the condom slipped off or split. Now what? Don't panic, there are still some options available to you.

If you have had unprotected sex, there are still some things you can to do prevent a pregnancy. You don't have to 'wait and see', worrying yourself sick about missed periods. If you get to your GP, Family Planning Clinic or Brook Advisory Clinic within 72 hours, you can choose between two kinds of emergency contraceptives.

Both methods can prevent a woman's egg from implanting in her womb, in case it has been fertilised by a sperm. You may be offered a 'morning after' pill or an IUD (coil).

Some local chemists are now selling the post-coital pill over the counter, without a prescription. It is expensive, and is definitely not meant to replace regular contraceptive methods.

'Morning after' pills
    Not a very correct name as they can be taken up to 72 hours later and still be effective. Their proper name is 'the post-coital pill' or PCP, and you can only get them on prescription. They are about 95% effective in preventing pregnancy if taken within 24 hours of unprotected sex. The later they are taken, the less likely they are to be effective.
    The older type of PCP, called Schering PC4, is taken in two doses. The first two tablets must be taken within 72 hours, and two more are taken 12 hours later. It contains a combined dose of oestrogen and progesterone.
    With the older PCP, the most common side-effect is feeling sick, but taking the pills with food makes this less likely. If you vomit or have diarrhoea, call the clinic, they may need to prescribe you some more.
    The new PCP is called Levonelle-2, which contains progestogen only. You take one tablet within 72 hours, and one tablet 12 hours later. It is less likely to make you feel sick, but it can cause breast tenderness, headaches, dizziness and tiredness.
    The PCP should not be used regularly; it is for emergencies only.
    TheSite has heard some rumours going around that say using the PCP more than a certain number of times can make you sterile. These rumours are NOT true, so do not let them worry you. However, if you are needing emergency contraception so often, you are definitely putting yourself at risk of unwanted pregnancy and sexually transmitted infections.
    The IUD (coil) Method
    If the pill is not suitable for you, the doctor may offer you an IUD. The tiny device is inserted into the uterus (womb) through the vagina to prevent a pregnancy from developing. The procedure is usually done at a Family Planning Clinic.
    This method can be used up to five days after having unprotected sex. Disadvantages include cramps (like period pains), and a possibility of the IUD falling out.

Remember, accidents can and do happen, so don't focus on feeling terrible about it; the people at the clinic will understand. But if you are frequently having unprotected sex, or find that barrier methods are failing, it is time to seriously re-think your contraception choices.
  • Options
    I think you can probably buy it for her, I dont see why not.
  • Options
    I was in similiar situation where my gf wanted me 2 buy it for her. But i couldnt because they need to ask her sum routine questions to make sure it is the right thing for had & make sure she understands what it does. So she definitely needs to go with, prob betta u go doctor as it dont cost then.
  • Options
    No, i'm fairly sure you can't get it for her - she has to answer a whole load of questions about her cycle which you obviously won't know!

Tell her not to worry though, it's not as bad as it seems... and much better than ending up pregnant :)
  • Options
    You couldn't buy it for her over the counter. You could go along with her to the family planning clinic or the GP or to buy it. It costs £23.99 so it is quite expensive, but free from the GP or family planning place. The earlier she takes it the better, as it loses its effectiveness the longer you leave it. Having sex is nothin for her to be ashamed of, no one is going to say anything to her (I'm working on the premise that she is 16+) If she is underage, she can't buy the pill,but the family planning clinic will help and its all confidential. Maybe from now on she could take the pill as well as using condoms for extra peace of mind.
  • Options
    What they all said :)

Oh and a useful helpline if you still need it:

Brook Advisory Centres
    Advice, counselling and medical help around contraception, pregnancy, abortion and sexual health.
    Telephone: 0800 0185023

Edited to say why buy it when you can get it for free? GP, Brook or family planning clinic pronto :)
  • Options
    She'll have to get it even if its from a chemist as they will need to ask some questions, Its either that or possibly a pregnancy - which would she prefer!
  • Options
    You can buy it from the chemist and also Boots. Its good to remember about Boots because they are open on a Sunday, when chemists, doctors etc aren't