Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

When...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
...you have a problem or are worrying about something within your relationship, regardless of whether you think it's serious or trival, what do you do? Do you instantly confront it in order to (hopefully) immediately resolve it? Or do you keep it to yourself hoping that it goes away? I do the former because I like to discuss it and to quickly resolve it.

Comments

• Options
    im that paraniod, i would always say it straight away to my g/f at the time. i think its best to say it, and not have it circlin round in ur mind.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Seven_VII
    im that paraniod, i would always say it straight away to my g/f at the time. i think its best to say it, and not have it circlin round in ur mind.

It's not a question of paranoia; it's a question of whether you want it ended sooner rather than later and whether you want to end any heartache or similar problems that resulted from it.
  • Options
    I think

A) how much does this problem really bother me? ie. could I live with it, and is it outweighed by all the good bits of the relationship?

and

B) what will be the outcome if I talk to my boyfriend about it? will it help?

Last time I was really unhappy about something in my relationship I told my boyfriend what was upsetting me, and we talked it through and sorted it out. There are some little things he does that still bother me but I've come to accept that that's just the way he is, and I've got to accept that he won't change, so I've either got to put up with it or dump him. And I'm happy to put up with it, because the answer to question A above is yes, it's outweighed by far by the good bits of the relationship. :)
  • Options
    Originally posted by perfect***day
    I think

A) how much does this problem really bother me? ie. could I live with it, and is it outweighed by all the good bits of the relationship?

and

Last time I was really unhappy about something in my relationship I told my boyfriend what was upsetting me, and we talked it through and sorted it out. There are some little things he does that still bother me but I've come to accept that that's just the way he is, and I've got to accept that he won't change, so I've either got to put up with it or dump him. And I'm happy to put up with it, because the answer to question A above is yes, it's outweighed by far by the good bits of the relationship. :)

Yeah, fair enough if it's relatively unimportant. If, however, it's on your mind a lot and you think that it's important, surely the best thing to do - as you and I and many others do - is to discuss it? It always works for me! :)
  • Options
    I agree, if you really can't put it out of your mind then it's always best to discuss it and have it out in the open, just to make things a little easier - it's never good to bottle something up.

I was just saying that if it's just something small and you can put up with it, then considering no relationship is perfect I think it's better to grin and bear it. If you talked about every little thing you didn't like, it would get boring.
  • Options
    Actually let me use an example to try to make a bit more sense.

If my boyfriend didn't call me when I was expecting him to, I'd just think 'oh well, it happens - people forget, etc' - but if it were happening on a regular basis, I'd bring it up with him and try to sort it out.
  • Options
    Originally posted by perfect***day
    I think

and

i agree with perfect day, it would also depend on how much it bothered me, but as i say i can get paraniod and i tend to think alot, so even the smallest things can get to me
  • Options
    Yep!

So we all agree that, if deemed to be sufficiently serious or if it is often on your mind, it's best to chat about it with your partner in order to hopefully immediately resolve it.
  • Options
    Yep!
  • Options
    I used to keep it quiet and hope that it goes away!But me and her have a very open relationship that now if we keep it in then its only cos we cant talk about it properly because of situation etc!
  • Options
    i try to bring up my problems to my boyf all the time but i find him really dismissive and patronising of anything i say, so i end up bottling them up - and now i'm in a really unhappy relationship:(

i just want him to listen to me without calling me immature/psycho or stupid.
  • Options
    I'd try and bring it up straight away. However with some problems that isn't possible sometimes.
  • Options
    Depends what it is. Some things are best out in the open. Some things are better left unsaid.