Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

University Of Salford

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Anyone have any idea what this is like? Cheers in advance.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    It's in manchester. And... apparently it's not in a great area. People from my 6th form went there though, and had a good time :) I got a place but didn't go and see it, i'd already made up my mind about where i wanted to go.
  • Options
    My boyfriend goes, he lives in Stockport though (he's still at home) and tbh from what I can gather, it isn't a bad college.
    Manchester has its rough areas though - and Salford is one of them.
  • Options
    My boyfriend also goes there and my dad lectures there. It's a good university, especially for science-based subjects (it's got a good reputation for engineering). Some of the halls are located in dodgy areas, but as long as you are careful it's fine. Manchester itself is a great city in my opinion. It's fab for shopping and going out.
  • Options
    I'm orginally from Salford I think its a great place altough it does have its dodgy areas like everywhere. Its got some fantastic places like Lowry centre, Salford Quays and its near to Manchester where the shopping and bars are fantastic. It's also home to the best rugby league team. It's actually a city in its own right, iso its not in Manchester although it is part of the county Greater Manchester. A couple of my mates are they and they love it.
  • Options
    My sister's boyfriend goes there and she is going there this year.

Apparently it is OK but the area where his halls are is a bit dodgy..........
  • Options
    Completly missed this thread!

Hey there, just finished my first year at Salford.

Yes the area isn't the best, but you get used to it. Put it this way, its not a dull place to live.

If your applying for hall, go for Castle Irwell, its a kind of oasis in the middle of Salford. There's loads of space, you've got the Pav "nightclub" come bar, laudrette and more importantly a 24hr Garage across the road for your breakfast, lunch and tea ;) PLus you'll meet loads of people from different Houses.

The Uni not bad, its set all on one site in and around Peel Park which is convient. Theres The Lowry bar and Sub Club on campus or the Wallness Tavern en route to Castle Irwell.

Best of all Manchester is 10 mins bus ride away, which is an awesome city with a fantasric night light. trust me, you'll never get bored.

I've had a the time of my life so far, yes Salford's dodgy, but use a bit of common sense and you'll be fine! :)
  • Options
    hehe I've had a few good nights in the Pav..... and in Castle Irwell ;)
  • Options
    sorry;

"stuck in fuckin chicken town" - wicked poem about salford!
  • Options
    Originally posted by badabing
    sorry;

"stuck in fuckin chicken town" - wicked poem about salford!

Just did a search for it now.

LMAO! Spot on!