Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

The Belgian Congo's connection to today's genocide.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
The Belgian Congo

For almost the entire period of the Congo Free State (1885—1908), the peoples of present-day Congo were subjected to a staggering sequence of wars, repression, and regimentation. The impact of this colonial experience was so devastating, and its aftereffects so disruptive, because the initial shock of European intrusion was followed almost immediately by a ruthless exploitation of human and natural resources. In terms of its psychological impact, the bula matari state left a legacy of latent hostility on which subsequent generations of nationalists were able to capitalize; on the other hand, the sheer brutality of its methods generated a sense of fear and hopelessness, which, initially at least, discouraged the rise of organized nationalist activity.

I.Belgian Paternalism: Underlying Postulates

Reduced to its essentials, Belgian paternalism meant that basic political rights could be withheld indefinitely from Africans as long as their material and spiritual needs were properly met. Paternalism drew its rationale from a vision of Africans as essentially "big children," whose moral upbringing required a proper mixture of authority and dedication. Its essence is perhaps best captured in the opening sentence of a celebrated work by a former colonial governor general, Pierre Ryckmans: "Dominer pour servir (Dominate in order to serve. . . . This is the only excuse for colonial conquest; it is also its complete justification.)."

Putting into effect the social welfare postulate of paternalism was largely the responsibility of parastatal organizations, semipublic corporations enjoying a substantial measure of autonomy in organizing and dispensing social services. Their names became identified with a wide spectrum of social welfare activities ranging from medical services to housing projects, from education and health care programs to family allowances and social centers (foyers sociaux) for African women. An extensive network of social welfare programs thus reached out to the governed to ensure their material well-being "from the womb to the tomb." Roman Catholic and Protestant missions, meanwhile, assumed full responsibility for their spiritual well-being, the former being more numerous in the endeavor. Through their teaching and evangelical activities, and with the help of generous subsidies from the state, missions thus formed a major element in the armature of paternalism.

The darker side of this paternalism was the political control and compulsion underlying Belgian colonial policies. Extensive restrictions affected Africans in their everyday life ranging from prohibition of the purchase of liquor (until 1955) to stringent police surveillance and curfew regulations in the urban centers, and from compulsory crop cultivation to various forms of administrative and social regimentation in the countryside.

#1 Belgium raped that country and that's why it's a mess today.
#2 Chirac still treats grown Africans like children. He "feels like their father". Funny, doesn't look like their father.

Comments

• Options
    Don't even pay attention to dates do you pnj? Belgium hasnt had direct influence over the Congo (Now called Zaire, FYI) since its independence in 1960. Hardly a credible excuse for your report's obviously slanted analysis.

If you want to truly educate yourself, go and examine the staggeringly detrimental influence on the economy which has been wielded both in Zaire as well as across the spectrum of developing nations by the IMF and WTO (where only we, the US, have a veto and have used it repeatedly to quash any reformation of the rules intended to keep developing nations disadvantaged so our multinationals might more easily exploit their natural riches).

The go and investigate specifically how our US arms producers (Lockheed Martin for a start) have manipulated and aggravated conflict in Zaire (Congo) in order to maintain hefty contracts first with one group and then another.

Wherever you got this crap from, its based on conditions so out of date as to be laughable!
  • Options
    You are the worst liar I have ever come across on the Internet. And I'm on a lot. What I posted is the truth. Belgium, much like it's buddies in France, is no champion of human rights. The recent riot by Arabs in your key port is further testiment to that.

Glad to see the EU is finally not supporting Castro. Afraid of more US fall-out?
  • Options
    The lies are what you have chosen to believe. Youre the worst kind of fool there is pnj. Willfully and blissfully unquestioning of anything the govt and its media cronies pour into your uninformed brain.

Frankly youre entire persona is laughable.

I suggest you grow up and get an education and come back in 10years when you have an ounce of understanding of just how easily youve been manipulated by the real liars.

Until then, keep saying Baa baaa baaa, little lamb! :rolleyes:
  • Options
    I invite people to look it up for themselves on any search engine on the Internet. I'm that sure of my truth.
  • Options
    If youre so sure, then go do searches for "Zaire, US Arms Influence"

Here's one for you:

http://www.worldpolicy.org/projects/arms/reports/congo.htm#congo

Though since it doesnt paint a pretty sanitised picture of US activity in what you continually and wrongfully call the Belgian Congo, I doubt you'll read it.

If you had any interest beyond right wing BS, you do some real thorough searching for a change, including searches for criticism of US foreign activities, but that's too much for your closed minded attitude, so carry on with the propaganda.
  • Options
    Here's another one for ya.

http://www.thirdworldtraveler.com/Africa/US_Recolonization_Congo.html

Don't expect you to read this either since historic truth is of no interest to you. But Ill keep offering you the chance to see the reality of world affairs anyways.