Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

The US government now bullies its own industry

The incredible tantrum thrown by the US government for French resistance to the war on Iraq continues to have repercussions. Last weekend saw the Paris Air Show, the biggest of its kind in the world and the key international event for aircraft makers to show and sell their products.

Unfortunately for American defence contractors the US government had 'strongly discouraged' them from attending the show, and companies like Lockheed Martin did not participate. It has not been a very good show for US firms. Those that didn't attend haven't sold as much as a paper plane, and the one that dared doing so, Boeing, hasn't had a very good time. Airbus on the other hand has stolen the show and won a $12.5bn order. The company is now set to overtake Boeing as the main aircraft maker in the world.

What goes round comes round, and it would appear that the US government's resentment towards 'Old Europe' and the boycott practiced by some across the Pond will ultimately damage the US economy the most. Will this finally open the eyes of those in America who still support Bush's actions?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    That's true. They pulled funding used to help companies go there.
  • Options
    It wont damage the US economy as much as it will damage Western Europes. US investment in Western European firms is massive.
  • Options
    Pentagon type are still pissed at France.
  • Options
    Originally posted by The Matadore
    It wont damage the US economy as much as it will damage Western Europes. US investment in Western European firms is massive.

How so? Certainly not in this case. How they must be laughing at Airbus Industries, BAE, ATR, Bombardier and many other aircraft companies, both civilian and military!

And let's face it, well known as the boycott was how many individuals are actually doing it? The average person who supported the 'freedom fries' lot doesn't strike me as someone likely to own a passport, let alone take holidays in France or even drink French wine.

The defence contractors are one of the few areas where the US government might have enough control to enforce a boycott. Most other industries that have dealings and trading with Europe will have rightfully told Bush and the warmonger brigade they can stick their boycott up the arse.
  • Options
    "The average person who supported the 'freedom fries' lot doesn't strike me as someone likely to own a passport, let alone take holidays in France or even drink French wine."

Your comment is a bit arrogant isn't it. Anger at France in the U.S. does cross the entire political and economic spectrum.
  • Options
    Matadore is right Aladdin. France exports more aviation goods to the US than it buys.

Allies of America or countries that want to get in with America will buy from us anyway. America doesn't need a high profile event to sell its goods in this arena.

Service men and women are dying to defend us in Iraq. It would have been an insult to attend this French event.

On a personal note, I don't know any adult who is boycotting French goods. People in Texas and the MidWest and military people are.
  • Options
    on the point of american bullying......
    1) they threatend to crash the (fragile) german economy
    2) they constantly threaten smaller, weaker nations to achieve their evil means
    3) im never surprised by the american government ( democracy? what democracy?)

oh and im french fries were freedom fries.... did that make the french soldiers freedom soldiers????? how ironic theyll be callin the russians communist again soon you mark my words

and did anyone hear about the project for the new american 21st century? please check out this site
    www.newamericancentury.org
    or more specificallt this page
    http://www.newamericancentury.org/statementofprinciples.htm
    just check out some of the names at the bottom its scary, the usual suspects tho, and there are some very familiar ones at that
  • Options
    Originally posted by hk9147
    "The average person who supported the 'freedom fries' lot doesn't strike me as someone likely to own a passport, let alone take holidays in France or even drink French wine."

Your comment is a bit arrogant isn't it. Anger at France in the U.S. does cross the entire political and economic spectrum.

One thing is being angry at some country's government for its alleged stance against your own government, and another stopping buying products and services originating from the said country because of a diplomatic row between the two governments.

I stand by my comments that anyone who actually supported changing 'French' for 'Freedom in products or refused to buy any more French cheese or wine in protest is unlikely to own a passport or to holiday in France. The great majority of people with a few brain cells don't take such actions.
    Originally posted by pnjsurferpoet
    Matadore is right Aladdin. France exports more aviation goods to the US than it buys.

Allies of America or countries that want to get in with America will buy from us anyway. America doesn't need a high profile event to sell its goods in this arena..
    Er... well it'd appear they do. Go compare total sales US companies (including the only one that was allowed to go to the show) with European ones.

And like I said earlier the US government cannot enforce a boycott on most industries, other than defence contractors that work directly with and rely in the Pentagon. As a matter of fact Airbus has just sold a number of A318s to Frontier Airlines and has deals going on with many other US airlines that obviously have told Bush and the anti-French brigade where they can stick their boycott.
    Service men and women are dying to defend us in Iraq. It would have been an insult to attend this French event..
    The only thing those soldiers in Iraq are defending is the right of US oil giants to make billions of dollars and of the Bush administration to install puppet regimes.

Iraq has never been a threat to the US, least of all in the last 5 years. Get over it and finally admit you have been duped and lied to by your government please. You'll feel better afterwards.
  • Options
    On Iraq not being a threat.

Pah lease. The only threat you see is from democracies.
  • Options
    No, the only threat I see is from the single most dangerous government this planet has seen since 1945.

Do you know what government I am referring to?
  • Options
    The only threat you see is from democracies

Wrong answer, thank you for playing!

What is true though, pnj, is that the only threat you see is that which Bush and co and their media collaborators tell you repeatedly is a threat. Now and in the future when they set their sites on some other piss poorly defended target of conquest and exploitation. Nevermind that no credible means of such "clear and present" threat can be found to back up their fear-inspiring claims.

Since you question nothing, you believe everything they drill into your head. The perfect dupe. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Aladdin I was wrong about my post regarding the French boycott not working. I based it on my father's and friend's parents not participating.

Fact is, there's such widespread anti-French feelings in America right now, French-owned companies are deleting that they are French owned from their advertisements.