Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Atkins diet

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm thinking of going on this diet but i love potatoes and sandwiches and cake etc. How do i stave off cravings? Has anyone else been on this diet? The only meat i eat is chicken and i eat fish so can i still do this diet? Any advice would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    Re: Atkins diet
    Originally posted by jellygirl
    I'm thinking of going on this diet but i love potatoes and sandwiches and cake etc. How do i stave off cravings? Has anyone else been on this diet? The only meat i eat is chicken and i eat fish so can i still do this diet? Any advice would be much appreciated.

A friend of mine went on this diet, and lost a lot of weight, reasonably quickly.

The problem I see with this diet, is that you're cutting out the wrong things. Potatoes, bread and other carbohydrates are good for you.

Am I right in thinking that the Atkins diet cuts out all the carbo stuff (bread, pasta, potatoes) but lets you eat a tub of double cream (or similar "bad" stuff)? If so, then it may help you lose weight, but you will still not be particularly healthy (cholestrol, for one thing).

Don't try and lose weight too quickly, as you will be best off by being patient and eating a balanced diet with more of the fatty stuff cut out (although not all of it) and a decent amount of exercising, even just walking.

:)
  • Options
    i agree with bad seed that a balanced diet is probably best...

ive heard some bad stuff about the atkins diet... because youre body is having to break down so any protiens, you get a build up of keto acids which can be really bad for you because it lowers the pH of your blood which can make you really ill (im not sure of the exact details though)
  • Options
    i have mixed feelings about the atkins diet.
    my dad has been thinking about doing it and has bought 2 books, "atkins the new revolution" and "atkins for life"
    i have read them both and i can see how and why it works, and there are loadsa points that prove its good for you. and then i watched a program on TV about it recently which had some good points about it and said about how it doesnt affect your cholesterol and stuff. it seems pretty safe, but at the same time i think a diet that makes you cut out a whole food group is insane. i think its only the first few weeks that you have to cut carbs completely and then after a while you are allowed a certain amount each day. i dunno, i'd try anything once, but at the same time i have my reservations about this one. im on weight watcher, which works and you can eat anything you want, but its very slow.
    its up to you, you might as well try it. a doctor i know said that all the men shes knows who have done it have lost loadsa weight and all the women she knows who have done it have given up cos they cant go without fruit!
    i personally dont eat a lot of pasta or bread anyway, but i would miss fruit and cereal. i think a balanced diet is best, everything in moderation
  • Options
    The problem with it is the same as the problem with any diet that cuts out a whole bunch of food, it gets boring as fuck.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Miffy
    The problem with it is the same as the problem with any diet that cuts out a whole bunch of food, it gets boring as fuck.

True.

And because of the keto acids building up, you start to smell too :yuck:
  • Options
    There are several reasons why this is a bad idea, the best way to lose weight safely, healthily and in a way that means you don't just put it straight back on agaion is to combine a balanced diet with regular exercise.

Why fad diets are crap

get fit

what is a balanced diet?

Susie :)
  • Options
    I've heard that it can make ur breath really smell, cause mental problems and strokes.
  • Options
    When I was on the Atkins diet, i didnt really have alot of information about the diet, i just thought you only eat protein and no carbs. so i went about 2 weeks without any carbs. Not a good idea... i was getting light-headed everytime i stood up. i passed out about 3 times in that period of time. and it really does get boring. but i did lose alot of weight. Are you doing it to lose weight fast or do u think u would do it long-term?? if your going to do it long term... get research on it and dont eat saturated fats(such as greasy sausages) but its not really good for short term cuz once you start eating more and more carbs, you'll gain the weight back. After i was off that diet, i became more skeptacle of the diets i went on. It doesnt seem that if all i ate was protein and i lost alot of weight so now im a bit more cautious. good luck!
  • Options
    Hey!

I'm not really clued up on the diet, but I have read that even in the first few weeks you're allowed 20g (I think) of carbohydrates per day - roughly 1 slice of bread. Don't quote me on it tho lol.
  • Options
    I've got the book too and I've done some pondering about when people say you gain all the weight back really quickly.
    Why don't you reintroduce carbs slowly? That way your body can readjust out of ketosis and as long as you eat a balanced diet, you shouldn't gain any weight.

I'm starting this on monday. Can't do it this week because I've got my last 2 exams and don't want the initial lack of energy the books talks about to bollox me up. I'll keep a log kinda thing on here so you can all see it and judge for yourselves, I might even take some pics of *before* stevie and *after* stevie. I'm only going to do it for a couple of weeks tho, sod cutting out carbs forever!

So that's cool, I'll post on tuesdays, thursdays and saturdays to letcha all know how i'm getting on and do a pic if anything's happening. Wish me luck! No pasta or bread for a couple of weeks, mmaaaadness!:eek:
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kurt

So that's cool, I'll post on tuesdays, thursdays and saturdays to letcha all know how i'm getting on and do a pic if anything's happening. Wish me luck! No pasta or bread for a couple of weeks, mmaaaadness!:eek:

ill be interested to see how it turns out;)

if youre going to be really strict, no fruit either:p

i think i might start this diet up again, after the exams as you said:)
  • Options
    Um no you won't, sorry we don't encourage these diets on these boards. Healthy diet and exercise, how many times do I have to tell you

... and clara, I don't think that's a great idea.

Susie :(
This discussion has been closed.