Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Condoms and the pill?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru

Hey, i just thought of this because of something LSS said on my last thread. How many of u, if u are on the pill or ur gf is, actually use condoms aswel? i can sey i dont, but im starting to think maybe i should! :)

Comments

• Options
    I didn't use condoms as well as being on the pill when I was in a long term relationship. Otherwise I use both!
  • Options
    I don't, can't be bothered... probably should tho!
  • Options
    Before anyone else does, I'll add the obligatory 'Only have unprotected sex if you're in a long term relationship and know that you are both free from STIs'. Sorry, had to be done, otherwise some snobby person will give you a beating about.

I think you should use them, but you're still well protected by the pill if you don't. It's just extra reassurance. As long as you know there's no risk of STIs of course :D
  • Options
    i was on the pill, but got pregnant anyway. I love my baby more than anything, but I'll definately be more careful in future. Luckily I'm in a good relationship, otherwise I don't know if I would have coped.
  • Options
    Originally posted by pink fairy
    i was on the pill, but got pregnant anyway. I love my baby more than anything, but I'll definately be more careful in future. Luckily I'm in a good relationship, otherwise I don't know if I would have coped.

Were you just unlucky (obviously I don't mean that in a bad way as I'm sure having a baby must be one of the most wonderful things in the world) or did you forget to take the pill? Or take other medication, have a stomach upset etc? I'm just curious as most people who I've heard have got pregnant when on the pill have had some sort of slip-up with it, rather than it just being the pill failing.

Hope you don't mind me asking!
  • Options
    With the pill say if u take it around 12 everyday but ur sick at 9am then will the pill still not work?because theres only a chance of it not working because u might have sicked some of the pill back up?

Any ideas?
  • Options
    Originally posted by sxy bunny grl
    With the pill say if u take it around 12 everyday but ur sick at 9am then will the pill still not work?because theres only a chance of it not working because u might have sicked some of the pill back up?

Any ideas?
    :yes: you answered your own question - if you are sick, you've probably thrown up the pill so it's no longer effective. If you've had sex recently then take the morning after pill, then use condoms for 7 days, keep taking your pill as normal and then you'll be fine.
  • Options
    If you take it at 12 everyday but throw up at 9am, that means the pill's been in your body for 21 hours already. Am I right? :confused: It should be absorbed after a few hours so that *should* be ok. I'm on Microgynon 30 and the leaflet states that:

If you vomit within 3 to 4 hours after taking your Microgynon 30 tablet, the active ingredients may not have been completely absorbed. This is like missing a tablet. Therefore, follow the advice for missed tablets.

So I would think that 21 hours later would be ok. But if you were violently sick I wouldn't risk it - just use condoms for the next 7 days. Actually I probably just wouldn't risk it anyway - I think I'd use condoms for the next 7 days just to make sure.
  • Options
    So far, we've always used both, although we have had one split condom.
    But now we've run out! And I've ordered some and they haven't been delivered yet! Aargh! Want sex! :mad:
  • Options
    Before I slept with Paul for the first time I went on the pill just to be safe but he did also use protection! But then after a few months when we stated to trust each other more & I knew that he was clean then I just stayed on the pill!! But with any new partner even if I am on the pill we will always use protection :)
  • Options
    I am on the pill and I dont use condoms But i was in a long term relationship, it depends on who i am with.
  • Options
    I think it is a good idea to use both methods
  • Options
    I think i would be too nervous to ask my boyf to go to a GUM clinic to get checked out, so i always use both just to be safe. I've never had one split yet, but i'd rather be safe just in case.