Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

I need your help

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ok, so this is another skin topic, but I did a search and couldn't find any solutions for my problem. Let me explain...

I'm a 16 year old boy and I consider my skin to be pretty good, spot wise I mean. I get spots, sometimes huge, red ones, but who doesn't. Anyway, the problem is my skin is quite greasy! Especially on my nose. My chin and forehead also get greasy as the day goes on, but they're more shiny than anything. My nose, on the other hand, is covered in blackheads, I mean there are literally thousands of them. I have had them for about three years now, and because only in the past year I've tried to do something about them they've become really deep-rooted. However, I'm not sure, but are these the reason why my nose is so greasy? It doesn't start off greasy, but by the end of the school day my face is quite shiny and it looks like little droplets of sweat of my nose. <- really unattractive!

I've tried absolutely everything, every type of face wash, Clearasil, Neutrogena, etc. Black head remover lotion, an actual blackhead remover from Boots, strips and now I'm trying the natural approach. I'm washing with just hot water then closing my pores with cold water every day and night. I've changed my diet so I try and avoid fatty foods, and I eat plenty of fruit and veg and drink lots of water. I've been doing this now for nearly two weeks, and although there is a lil' improvement, my skin still gets greasy.

So I was hoping that there were people on this board who've experienced similar problems and have found a cure, and could let me know.

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    greasy skin is mainly due to hormones i think, as you get older and your hormones settle down then you skin will become more balanced i think...

as for the black heads, all i can say is stick with what youre doing, and persevere for a bit longer... 2 weeks isnt really long enough to see the full benefits of a change in diet.

just make sure you eat your 5 portions of fruit and veg!:D :)
  • Options
    Don't do too much to it. Wash it with a mild cleanser, rather than anything too harsh. If you try and dry it out too much and get rid of all the oil, it will produce more to try and compensate. I actually find that if I stop using my moisturiser, my face gets much much greasier.

As for the blackheads, there's not a lot you can do about them. I have these too. Those pore-unglogging strips do make a slight difference, and there are some products you can get which are designed to help get rid of them. The only time I've seen a really noticable difference in the ones on my nose, though, is after going for a facial - and you may not want to do that if you're a bloke! They basically do all the usual cleaning stuff, then attack your face with steam which opens up the pores, and use this instrument to literally squeeze all the gunk out of your pores. It hurts a bit but it did definitely make a difference.

But clara's right - it's mainly hormonal, you'll grow out of it! Stick with your new diet and skin regime for a bit longer than 2 weeks, it sounds like it's making a bit of a difference so see if it improves further.
  • Options
    If it's really bothering you then go and talk about it to your doctor. It may seem silly going about blackheads but you'll be suprised by the amount of treatments available through your doctor for this problem. Hope that helped :)
  • Options
    go see the doc. i wouldnt stress it could be worse!:yeees:
  • Options
    My hubby used to get them a lot and we used a thing to get them out. It was like a long thing with a little hole at the end, pop it on the blackhead and press, then the blackhead comes out. It does look horrible like when the blackhead comes out but he does not get them now.

I dont know what its called, but the chemist gave me it, its probably just called a blackhead remover.