Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

To soothe sunburn..

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
...use tomatoes!

No, seriously! I sat out in the sun all day on Saturday and got quite bad sunburn (always the way - I go pink then brown!). I had to work in the evening and one of the guys I work with told me to cut a tomato in half, and rub it over my sunburn and it should take the redness away (something to do with the acid in the tomato).

He's Austrailian and told me they used to do it as kids... Now, he's not the most serious of blokes so I wasn't sure if he was telling the truth or not, but I tried it anyway (I need to be brown, or at least, less red, for tomorrow night especially!) and it worked! I actually did one leg and one arm with the tomato and the other leg and arm with Witch Hazel gel to compare them (as you do!) and the tomato worker quicker :) Doesn't seem to help the pain and tightness (tho my aftersun seems to be doing that) but it certainly gets rid of the redness :)

Just thought I'd share that one with you... Anyone got any other good cures? :)

Comments

• Options
    i have heard of that before but i thought my mate was jokin, i think the best way to soothe sunburn is aloe vera
  • Options
    why has no one mentioned after sun yet?!
  • Options
    Originally posted by Char_Baby
    why has no one mentioned after sun yet?!

well that'd be too obvious :p:)
  • Options
    I did mention aftersun! But it wasn't taking the redness away, it was only easing the pain slightly and keeping my skin moisturised. I've been out and spent £15 in Boots today on Simple Aftersun Cooling Gel and Boots suntan lotion and aftersun spray (my other Boots aftersun lotion just ran out!) - the gel was quite good over my shoulders, which is the only bit which still hurts :)
  • Options
    Originally posted by Crystal Tipps
    I did mention aftersun! But it wasn't taking the redness away, it was only easing the pain slightly and keeping my skin moisturised. I've been out and spent £15 in Boots today on Simple Aftersun Cooling Gel and Boots suntan lotion and aftersun spray (my other Boots aftersun lotion just ran out!) - the gel was quite good over my shoulders, which is the only bit which still hurts :)

yeah i really like the boots soltan range, i tried nivea aftersun spray last year when i was VERY burnt in spain and it smelt sooo horrible-like aeroplane food!!:yuck:

(nothing against nivea... i love their body moisturisers!:))
  • Options
    I think I will keep this in mind whilst abroad in Canada or just outside in sunny GB :)