Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

STDs????

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I've done a search and the answer I am looking for didn't come up.

How do you get STDs in the first place if no one is born with them? I know you will all say from sharing needles etc, but how do STDs actually start? How from sharing needles? :confused:

I am VERY confussled about this 'cos this was brought up at school the other day and I asked my bf about it and he didnt know the answer either.

Thanks for any help what so ever. xXx :)

Comments

• Options
    Lol. Who knows where STDs originated - it's like saying 'where did the first bout of flu come from?', or 'who first had pneumonia?' Don't know how it all started but the fact is that some people had STDs, and people caught them from them, and it spread.

So basically you can only catch it from another person - and sharing needles works on the same concept - you'll get the STD if they have it, as it'll go into your bloodstream.

Did that make sense?
  • Options
    Originally posted by perfect***day
    Lol. Who knows where STDs originated - it's like saying 'where did the first bout of flu come from?', or 'who first had pneumonia?' Don't know how it all started but the fact is that some people had STDs, and people caught them from them, and it spread.

So basically you can only catch it from another person - and sharing needles works on the same concept - you'll get the STD if they have it, as it'll go into your bloodstream.

Did that make sense?

Yups.
  • Options
    So basically, if the person you slept with has never slept with any one before and has never shared needles, your safe?

The reason I am so worried bout this is cos it was brought up skule like I said but I wanna sleep with my bf but I am very worried about catching anything. :confused:
  • Options
    Originally posted by **grunge gurl**
    So basically, if the person you slept with has never slept with any one before and has never shared needles, your safe?

No. There are other ways for them to be transferred.

http://www.scarleteen.com/infection/articles.html

There's a link for ya :)
  • Options
    Anal sex. That's a risk of getting Aids & Hepatitis B through it (Both people could be clean and still catch something)

That's why a lot of gay people got it and they weren't doing drugs etc.

Most STDs seem to have the same side affects.

*You can be born with STDs as well*

If you want to sleep together and both of your are virgins then in theory you should both be clean! But if you don't want to take the risk. BOTH go to a GUM clinic and get tested (you can't go on the same day tho cos it's different days for girls and boys)

Then you'll know for sure. If you both get the clean bill of health, go on the pill and you should be safe (Use Condom on anal sex tho!)
  • Options
    Originally posted by Harmless
    Anal sex. That's a risk of getting Aids & Hepatitis B through it (Both people could be clean and still catch something)

how does that work? is it somthing to do with chemical reactions or whathaveyou? i dnt understnd does this mean that if you are both clean to start with you could like create an std between you?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Zella
    how does that work? is it somthing to do with chemical reactions or whathaveyou? i dnt understnd does this mean that if you are both clean to start with you could like create an std between you?

Thats not true.

It used to be prevailent in they gay community because the likely hood was an infected person would sleep with other men as opposed to a women. However obviously if one of the first men to catch it was a bi sexual and slept with a woman this would spread the disease into the hetrosexual community. Which is what happened It has nothing to do with the action of anal sex.

That wasn't written very clear but oh well.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Jo_is_an_Angel
    Thats not true.

It used to be prevailent in they gay community because the likely hood was an infected person would sleep with other men as opposed to a women. However obviously if one of the first men to catch it was a bi sexual and slept with a woman this would spread the disease into the hetrosexual community. Which is what happened It has nothing to do with the action of anal sex.

That wasn't written very clear but oh well.

No. It is to do with anal seX! germs/ bacteria in the arse entering a cut or open hole in the other body. Not got time to go into detail

Anal sex should be done with a condom, regardless of if both people are clean of STDs
  • Options

Anal sex should be done with a condom, regardless of if both people are clean of STDs

Damn.

:nervous:
  • Options
    Originally posted by LacyMay
    Damn.

:nervous:

i should have known i couldnt go into the sex forum without you mentioning your adventures with anal sex :p
  • Options
    Sharing needles means that you can catch viruses such as HIV and Hep B. Other STIs are bacteria or parasites, and are not caught in the same way.
  • Options
    No. It is to do with anal seX! germs/ bacteria in the arse entering a cut or open hole in the other body. Not got time to go into detail

Not that I doubt you, Harmless, I'd just like to hear this backed up by someone else as there seems to be some confusion here. Is this actually true? Even if both of you are free of STIs, you could 'create' one through unprotected anal sex?

(again, no offence Harmless, I just want to get this confusion cleared up!)

LSS