Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

What would you say?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ive never taken drugs as many people will be aware. What i'd like to ask is if you could turn back time would you have started taking them in the 1st place?
What would you say to someone who is about to take drugs for the 1st time?
What drug would you tell them to stay clear off?

Thank you :)

Edited to add :
This aint about me telling you I think its wrong, it aint about slagging people off its just to get an insight to how you feel having taken drugs in the past and wether you might do things a bit different now :)

Comments

• Options
    I wouldn't wish to have never tried them. But then I've never had any bad experiences *touch wood*!

Personally, I think the experiences u have on drugs are so amazing that it's a shame only drug-users can know what it's like. I got into it through my absolute passion of dance music which I had long before I tried anything.
    I felt high as a kite during a good set without any help, but with the high u get from pills (I only do pills and the odd bit of coke) it's indescribably mindblowing.

To someone who was about to try them I'd just tell 'em to take it easy and make sure they were in good company. Not sure about which drugs to stay off since I've only done a couple myself, but I'd be wary of most things since I'm still a bit of a wuss :)
  • Options
    my kids know what heroin and speed can do to their families but... they all smoke weed. they work they bring up good kids ...not in difficult areas ...they are very nice to know people.
    i'm happy that their 1st drug of choice is cannabis and second is alcohol. i see it as a liberating and healthier choice. none of my kids have a criminal record ...apart from a bit of physical. alcohol related of course. not for everyone but nither is alcohol as first choice of confusion.
  • Options
    Is the reason you are asking this got something to do with your now disabled relative?
  • Options
    I dont regret doing 'drugs' although I hate that generalisation, I do however regret some of the experiances I've had.

More than anything I just wish I'd known more about what I was taking, I've done quite a few stupid things along the way.

For a first time user, I'd say never get pressurised into using any drug, it has to be something that your comfortable with otherwise your wasting your time, and money.
    Try to know as much as possible about the drug that you are taking, its source and your own body.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    I've tried an enormous range of drugs but the only thing I truly ever regret is is smoking my first fag! I've had some nasty experiences with with Acid, shrooms, Ket and DMT but I don't regret ever doing them. Even with Heroin (which I've chased once) and Crack (which I've smoked on several occasions) I don't have any regrets.

As for telling someone else what to stay clear of - all I can do is tell them my experinces with certain drugs. The only drugs I do now are ecstasy (my fave), Coke, Weed and shrooms once a year. I've seen Speed do some nasty stuff to people, and apart from that I wouldn't recommend heroin and crack for obvious reasons. Mainly I'd say stay away from tobacco!!
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Originally posted by jacaranda
    Is the reason you are asking this got something to do with your now disabled relative?

No :)
  • Options
    Originally posted by bongbudda
    For a first time user, I'd say never get pressurised into using any drug, it has to be something that your comfortable with otherwise your wasting your time, and money.
    Try to know as much as possible about the drug that you are taking, its source and your own body.

Its the replies like this that make me think someone who could be thinking about taking drugs will listen to the advice given. Also advice from the likes of Mr Roll and Skive, Trance etc. For they have no reason to make someone want to try drugs.
    So if someone has learned something by what these people have written then great :)

Just to add this thread was to give people thinking about using drugs for the 1st time, or someone who may have just started using some useful advice and information :)
  • Options
    The drugs I've taken (in order of taking them) are

Dope - When I was 18 although my parents (mostly my dad) smoked it all the time - I was never put in a situation where I felt pressured, I smoked dope way before I smoked 'normal' fags (had my first cigarette at 26). I still smoke dope but haven't had any for around six months or so. Next time will probably be Glastonbury though if someone rolled one up in 5 minutes I'd have some. I don't regret it and I will probably never give it up.

Speed - when I met my boyfriend and I took it most weekends though never bought my own. I don't think I'll have it again because it started to make me feel sick. I haven't had any for over a year.

Acid - Once, with a friend because we wanted to see what it was like. Had a brilliant night but woke up the next day in a foul mood. Made up my mind not to do it again. Was a brilliant night though. My friend took it loads of times after that - guess we are just different.

Ecstacy - took it a few times, first time in Reading festival in the pissing rain while the Stone Roses did the worst set I have ever seen. All the buggers I was with went to sleep and I lay awak paranoid I was going to die (Don't think I'm very good at this drugs lark). Did it a few times after and had a few good nights but won't do it again.

Nothing else. I've sat in rooms with everyone else doing coke and having loads of pressure put on me to do it too but as far as I could see it turned everyone into self obsessed wankers who just wanted to sit round the house talking shit while I wanted to go out. in fact on the day of Princess Dianas funeral I was in London, in a flat all day and all night while everyone else did line after line after line with the funeral on TV - it was most bizzare.

My general view of drugs...its not for me, I have enough happiness and pleasure in life so I don't need to be taken to another 'world' or seek other pleasures. I understand I am unusual.

Personally if I have kids I would be open about dopesmoking but eould hope that they understand the dangers of smoking per se. I would do what my dad did which was to not demonise drug taking but be open about the damage it can cause. I would hope that kids of mine would feel ok about doing it with me instead of behind my back.

I hope they would realise the dangers of drugs like Heroin, the fact that Cocaine can damage your bones and mind, as can speed. I would emphasise the addictve nature of Heroin and the cost to your health and wallet.

I hope I can bring up my kids to be secure in themselves and not to be led by the crowd. I resisted fags until I was 26 and was well aware of the health risks. However...even at that age peer pressure was the main reason I started to smoke.
  • Options
    Originally posted by byny

I hope they would realise the dangers of drugs like Heroin, the fact that Cocaine can damage your bones and mind, as can speed. I would emphasise the addictve nature of Heroin and the cost to your health and wallet.

See myself as someone whose never taken drugs (apart from normal fags) obviously used to think everyone will go from *soft stuff* to something *harder*, which I know now is not the case with everyone.

byny thanks for that reply, was good to read an honest, frank post :)
  • Options
    Alcohol, tobacco (nicotine) and cannabis.

I most regret tobacco, although I enjoyed it.

Cannabis was OK

Alcohol has fucked me up on many occasions, I'm slightly under the influence now.
    I don't think I'm dependant, but I like drinking.
    Beer, wine, spirits...I'm sure I exceed my weekly recommended units.

Which is pretty stupid, really...in the long term.

I'd stay clear of cigarettes. They tend to kill you, if you get addicted. And you will.
  • Options
    Originally posted by BeckyBoo
    See myself as someone whose never taken drugs (apart from normal fags) obviously used to think everyone will go from *soft stuff* to something *harder*, which I know now is not the case with everyone.

byny thanks for that reply, was good to read an honest, frank post :)

I think that the more you demonise drugs the more likely kids are to take them...however, there are people with addictive personalities or those who are easily led, or even those who have little resistance to peer pressure.

For all I know I could raise kids to be open and aware and yet they will become addicts of one kind or another.

I know, for example, that my brother takes way more drugs that I do (or have) and yet we had the same upbringing. At the same time - he's never been totally 'out of control' and he's never touched heroin (which is probably the worst drug you can get addicted to). Also my sister and brother were heavy smokers by the age of 16 and yet I was not.

All I can say - is... if you have a good level of self esteem you may not become a heavy drug user, on the other hand...you may!! It's a hard one. All I now is that dope is probably the only illegal drug i will ever use again.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Skive
    the only thing I truly ever regret is is smoking my first fag!

:yes:
  • Options
    I don't regret taking my first pill, having my drag of a joint, or my first line of coke!!!

My first pill experience was mind blowing. I had a passion for dance music long before i started taking drugs, the pills just enhanced everything!!

My advice to a first time user would be , make sure that you are with people that you can Really trust and that you know care about you. If you are going to take pills, make sure that you keep your self hydrated, but do not over hydrate yourself, this can be worse than dehydration , dring water and maybe some energy drink regulary, and only take small sips, don't glup the whole thing down in one go. DO NOT DRINk ALCOHOL when you take pills. And just relax and enjoy the ride!!!

:p
  • Options
    Skive; you had a bad time on DMT? Wow I loved that stuff when I did it, I guess it could be a bit scary if you did too much though, I've always found it to be a drug that was nice to me, very very strong but nice to me.

Beckyboo; thanks for the compliment, I had lots of crappy drugs education at school which basicaly consisted of if you do it you'll die, pills are full of heroin etc. I'm glad I waited till I was 18 before I tried anything other than weed, I think you do need to be adult to make a descision like that. Not that being 18 always makes you adult!
    I do think just telling people what drugs will do and their drawbacks is much better than trying to scare them. I mean I'm from the generation of kids who had the "Just say NO", hmmm that worked didnt it!
  • Options
    I was thinking about that last night... i stil dont know! I think if i could turn back the clock then id definately would have said yes - to cannabis, coke, speed and mushies.

But the pills---i really really wish id never tried them. (i only did for the sake of boredom) Now if a bag of pills is put in front of me i dont think id have the will power to say no. I worry that eventually im going to have a bad experience on pills...
  • Options
    If you havent had a bad experiance yet I wouldnt worry too much, most of us who've been doing them a while have had a few nasty comedowns but still think their worth it.
  • Options
    i have a few friends who i meet up with to go raving, they have been doing them for ten years without a bad exp so u have a point--but i worry.

i guess if you're sensible. Im learning about how to identify whats in them with taste, sight etc... but im a little worrier. They do seem very unreliable and dangerous but i guess a lot of that is media hype maybe.
  • Options
    WHAT! I'm sorry but I dont want to be harsh but you've said before that your a big fan of coke but you worry about what might be in your pills?
    Do you have any idea where that cokes been and what is in it?
    Not only have you got the cut in the coke but a lot of it comes into the uk IN some one, so that means your snorting something thats been through someone!

No-one can tell what is in a pill by looking at it, I dont care how many you have taken, taste can give you a tiny idea, but is very unreliable to say the least. TEST.
  • Options
    Yeah i worry about pills more than coke, maybe thats me being naive but ive never heard of anyone having a bad reaction to coke. But with pills ive heard of one girl my bf and mates knew who died because it had something nasty in it. :( and a very good friend has ended up in hospital for a few nights. So to me, pills are more of an immediate worry just because of stories ive heard about them from friends as apposed to other drugs. - its closer to the heart.

but i think with a lot of drugs (except cannabis) you have to be at least slightly concerned, you cant be certain whats been added to them, or where theyve been - and WHO theyve been in.

of course taste is unreliable, but it gives u some clue as to what other drugs have been added--or whether its plaster of paris etc... and as far as ive been told and read in magazines/online, the little specks in pills can signal what other drugs may be present. Fair enough, FHM may not be the best souce for drugs information :p

so thats why i worry about pills more, its just closer to the heart. Maybe bad pills arent all that common and a lot s media hype but its just more of an issue for me personally.
  • Options
    No of course if you have had people close to you who've had a bad experiance then that is going to worry you, I wasnt saying that pills are safe and cokes not but you have to wiegh the risks of any drug you use up carefully.

Specks in pills mean nothing what so ever, most of the time they are just added for the look. However sometimes there are the left over safras when the synth was done, so if anything they are signs that the pill will not be very clean.
    They are most certainly nothing like heroin, which I've heard the brown bits are so many times.
  • Options
    ooo i'm venturing into drugs!! anyhu i drink [regularly] and ive smoked [socially] and thats all been fine but last week i was very drunk and i took a pull of someones joint and have NEVER been so sick in my life. will not be repeating that experience. i would try other drugs though...outta curiosity.
    xxx
  • Options
    Gg ...from your other posts you seem to be sick a lot. pissed a lot.
    ever thought it might be the booze that makes you sick.?
  • Options
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    Gg ...from your other posts you seem to be sick a lot. pissed a lot.
    ever thought it might be the booze that makes you sick.?

hmm yeh im cuttin down on the excessive drinkin..and ive only been sick due to alcohol twice.ever.other times..thats a different matter.
    xxx
  • Options
    Originally posted by Girl_gunner
    hmm yeh im cuttin down on the excessive drinkin..and ive only been sick due to alcohol twice.ever.other times..thats a different matter.
    xxx
    ok my dear but i doubt the cannabis was responsible. am i suggesting you give it another try ...as if!