Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Something I've always wondered

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
When I was 19 I got dumped by a girlfriend of 2 years. The day before she was telling me how a bloke had chatted her up in a bar that night and she told him "I'm not interested I'm engaged". Why would she tell me that one night and then dump me the next?

For some reason I suddenly started to think about it. Any help untangling that one girls?

Comments

• Options
    maybe he was minging and it was a valid excuse at the time
  • Options
    Why tell me though?
  • Options
    to make it sound like other men wanted her too perhaps?? get you a bit jealous

i'm often doing things like that just to see my boyfriends reaction.....but as you know I'm crap with relationships so maybe thats just me!!
  • Options
    Ive done the same mate ive told girls that im engaged , just to get rid of them. I even put my ring on my wedding finger!

I tell my girlfriend aswell, i just want her to know that she's the only one for me,and anyone can chat me up but i dont want anyone else.

I cant understand why she would finish with you the day after though!!!!!

:eek2:
  • Options
    Well at the time she was obviously using it as an excuse to subtly tell that guy to go away.

Then she told you to provoke a reaction and jealousy. Girls tend do it often. In our twisted minds we seek validation and confirmation of love and appreciation through jealousy. If our boyfriends become jealous at the mention of rival men then it means they like you. And it's also a huge ego boost, although most girls won't admit they do it for that reason. It usually means the girl is feeling insecure about the relationship and their boyfriend's feelings - back to the confirmation of feelings. They'll still do it after a break-up because it's an ego boost and a power trip to make an ex jealous. I think to her the fact she was going to break it off the next day was irrelevant, it was just about the ego and power.

Yes, twisted I know. But don't worry about it, most girls don't mean to be spiteful.

Hope that made some sort of sense....