Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

sex ages

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
hi i was just reading the legal age you can be to have sex, and it has left be slightly confussed.
what i was trying to find out is, if a girl is 16 or over it is then fine for her to have sex with a man 16 or over,unless he is a teacher (or has a job connected to her like that). am i right?

Comments

• Options
    Yes, I think so. If he's in a 'position of trust' such as a teacher or a club leader or something then he can still be prosectuted for having sex with a girl even if she's over 16.

I think? :confused:

LSS
  • Options
    Girls must be 16 before they can legally consent to sex. If she is under 16, it is the girl's partner who is breaking the law and who would be prosecuted if a prosecution goes ahead. Girls are not punished for underage sex, although a woman who has sex with a boy under 16 can be prosecuted for indecent assault, even if he consents.

It is illegal for a teacher to have sex with a pupil, even if the pupil is 16-years-old or even older. This can be illustrated by the case of Bull, in which a 46-year-old teacher was sentenced to a three-year community rehabilitation and put on the sex offenders' register for five years for having a sexual relationship with a 16-year-old girl. In this case, evidence showed that the girl instigated the crime, hence the teacher will still be the one prosecuted regardless of whether the teacher began it or not.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Mobily's Ghost
    Girls must be 16 before they can legally consent to sex. If she is under 16, it is the girl's partner who is breaking the law and who would be prosecuted if a prosecution goes ahead. Girls are not punished for underage sex, although a woman who has sex with a boy under 16 can be prosecuted for indecent assault, even if he consents.

It is illegal for a teacher to have sex with a pupil, even if the pupil is 16-years-old or even older. This can be illustrated by the case of Bull, in which a 46-year-old teacher was sentenced to a three-year community rehabilitation and put on the sex offenders' register for five years for having a sexual relationship with a 16-year-old girl.

Yeah...that's what I meant to say.:rolleyes:
  • Options
    Originally posted by lisa simpson's saxophone
    If he's in a 'position of trust' such as a teacher etc...
    LSS

For a second I thought you had written "position of thrust"
  • Options
    Originally posted by davedavidson
    For a second I thought you had written "position of thrust"

You mean I didn't? Whoops.

*points at davedavidson* He started it!
  • Options
    I didnt think it was illegal for a person in a position of trust to have sex with a 16 year old, I just thought it was highly frowned upon and would cause the person to lose their job, and probably be blacklisted from working in that field again, but I didnt think it was actually illegal.
  • Options
    Originally posted by rainbow brite
    I didnt think it was illegal for a person in a position of trust to have sex with a 16 year old, I just thought it was highly frowned upon and would cause the person to lose their job, and probably be blacklisted from working in that field again, but I didnt think it was actually illegal.

It is illegal for teachers and others in positions of trust, such as social workers, to have sexual relations with pupils or students under 18, irrespective of whether they are above the age of consent or not. Information on this can be found here, and there have been several cases on it, including that of Bull (see my first post).
  • Options
    I stand corrected, its 18 not 16 then.
  • Options
    16 for a "normal" relationship, 18 for those in poisitions of trust.

Though I happen to think the position of trust illegality is a nonsense, a sloppy law made by sloppy politicisnas reacting to the Sarah payne case. But such is life, Governments are jailing men for having sex, even though it should be legal.